Cardiff to Aviemore

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Nanook

Cardiff to Aviemore

Post by Nanook »

Three of us are undertaking a ride from Cardiff (or maybe Pontypridd) to Aviemore this Autumn. I have most of the route worked out, which is near enough the same as my LEJOG in 2014. However, the section I am not at all familiar with is from Cardiff/Pontypridd to Hereford so I'm looking for recommendations from cyclists local to that area. Two of us are experienced cyclists but the third member of our group is a beginner so the least hilly and easiest route would be best.
Thanks in advance. Joe.
pwa

Re: Cardiff to Aviemore

Post by pwa »

Taff Trail to Talybont on Usk, then head cross country to Hay passing through Talgarth but looking for unclassified roads, and minor roads south of the Wye from there.
RickH

Post by RickH »

We did a ride on the tandem from Cardiff to Chester in 2 days in 2015. This is our route for day one out of Cardiff which may give you some ideas. When planning it I tried to avoid busy roads & big hills while not adding too much to the mileage. I used some cycle paths in the early part where I was reasonably sure they wouldn't be too tandem-proof. See if you can spot the (ahem) deliberate mistake near Raglan? :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
keithg

Post by keithg »

You could pick up NCN 7 near Galloway and follow it to Aviemore.
Can only speak for the Perthshire section which is well signposted on minor roads and traffic free bike tracks of variable quality.
The final section at Drumochter about 20 miles south of Aviemore has a broken but rideable surface.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

May i suggest ... from Cardiff to Bristol .. then pick up the WIMPS LEJOG route ... It's a great route to Aveimore ... well i thought its was ... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.