Bus Touring using a Freedom Bus Pass

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Bus Touring using a Freedom Bus Pass

Post by Sweep »

Do it soon mercalia.

It was in the news the other day that councils are warning that the scheme will bring about savage bus cuts if the government doesn't step in.

Many areas of the country have already had significant bus cuts over the last few years, leaving many folks of all ages with no access to public transport and with many old folks able to contemplate their virgin bus passes on the mantelpiece with no buses to use it on. I know a fair few village bus stops up north with the sad notice appended to them that there aren't actually any longer any buses that stop at this piece of heritage street furniture.

The free bus pass for old folks was one of the few really good things Blair's labor party did but it is under threat.

If you don't get out soon with your pass you may be limited to London, for Londoners are truly spoilt when it comes to buses. And public transport in general.
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Not long after these free bus passes came out, 2 women travelled round the country (England only I think). They wrote it up in the Saturday Telegraph I think and also a book.

Personally, I thought these middle class women were taking the xxxx. The pass was meant to help people stay mobile and the fares are paid by taxpayers, local and national.

I always thought that the passes should be for local and adjacent areas only.

One problem they had with the Southend to Stansted airport bus was that it was sometimes full of pensioners going to Chelmsford for a day out or just a run in the country resulting in people wanting to get to the airport couldn't get on.

I've had one for 1½ yrs and only used it a few times as I normally cycle anywhere (local) that the bus goes to.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I've had my pass for almost 10 years. I use it to travel into town - about 3 miles- when the weather is inclement. I also use it when doing long walks in my area. I travel out by bus and walk back.

I recall someone traveling all around the country using their pass but the journeys were so awkward and lengthy that they spent their savings on hotels.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If we want fewer cars on the road, then public transport needs promotion. I'm seventy four, I've had a bus pass since I was sixty, and for much of my working life I was entitled to free bus travel within W Yorks. If you want me to travel more by bus, insisting that I pay the fare or trying to shame me into doing so isn't the way forward.
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonhill wrote:Personally, I thought these middle class women were taking the xxxx. The pass was meant to help people stay mobile and the fares are paid by taxpayers, local and national.

I always thought that the passes should be for local and adjacent areas only.

Why? Isn't being limited to a local area the opposite of being mobile? OK, it seems like it was basically a way to fund public transport without arbitrary flat subsidy, but I'm quite comfortable with incentivising older drivers not to take up so much space on the roads or risk being unable to see a car coming from the north because of the sun to the southwest...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think that public transport should be free at point of service. It can be subsidised with increased parking fees and penalties.

The community where I live recently restructured their parking fees in the town centre. It used to be free to park on a number of streets and in some multi-storeys run by the council, after 18:00 every day. They've now changed this to much later in the evening. I play in the local symphony orchestra and our rehearsals are 18:30 - 21:30. The fee restructuring means that the bus is now considerably cheaper than parking. Guess what?

There used to be 2 or 3 of us at the bus stop after orchestra rehearsal. There are now around 10 people (out of 40ish) who have taken the bus the last couple of weeks. I don't know if it will last, or anyone else will cycle when the weather is better (there have usually been two of us).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:I've had my pass for almost 10 years. I use it to travel into town - about 3 miles- when the weather is inclement. I also use it when doing long walks in my area. I travel out by bus and walk back.

I recall someone traveling all around the country using their pass but the journeys were so awkward and lengthy that they spent their savings on hotels.

but its like turning back the clock to when no one traveled further than the next village. an adventure? I think we can get rather complacent about travling when it is so easy and you just gto from A to B? Thats why some here like doing it by bike? it isnt just abut savings. even staying in a hotel ( aslong as its a good one) is a luxury many cannt afford?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Vorpal wrote:I think that public transport should be free at point of service. It can be subsidised with increased parking fees and penalties.

The community where I live recently restructured their parking fees in the town centre. It used to be free to park on a number of streets and in some multi-storeys run by the council, after 18:00 every day. They've now changed this to much later in the evening. I play in the local symphony orchestra and our rehearsals are 18:30 - 21:30. The fee restructuring means that the bus is now considerably cheaper than parking. Guess what?

There used to be 2 or 3 of us at the bus stop after orchestra rehearsal. There are now around 10 people (out of 40ish) who have taken the bus the last couple of weeks. I don't know if it will last, or anyone else will cycle when the weather is better (there have usually been two of us).

Why not ride your bike. :D
bike-tour-ben-Sollee.jpg.860x0_q70_crop-smart.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I do sometimes.

cello_trailer.jpg

But right now, the cycle paths are covered in bumpy ice (formerly slush, now frozen), and I don't want to subject my cello to that :(

I will cycle again when the conditions are better. :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
nomisp

Post by nomisp »

Hi, I have done a few tours now using a Brompton and my bus pass , last year cycled and bused from Carlilse to Hertfordshire , very good way to see the country and to be able to join very good cycle areas or routes and then miss out on the more built up areas I dislike touring in rain so it was good to have an alternative. Nomisp
nomisp

Post by nomisp »

Hi, could try bus from Oxford to Swindon then Swindon to Cheltenham lastly Cheltenham to Gloucester seems to be quite a few buses to chose from .
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

nomisp wrote:Hi, could try bus from Oxford to Swindon then Swindon to Cheltenham lastly Cheltenham to Gloucester seems to be quite a few buses to chose from .

yes I have gathered that from Travelline - seems a bit of a detour. thanks any way for the input

did you bag your Brompton? Any refusals to take it?