Never mind the Summer bike - Winter miles, Summer Smiles

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
djrikki

Never mind the Summer bike - Winter miles, Summer Smiles

Post by djrikki »

Ventured out to do my February RRTY 200km bike for audax yesterday. Wet start, but brilliant glorious sunshine by the end of the day across Lincolnshire. I enjoy taking along my GoPro with me; which really helps when on long days riding solo.

Hope you enjoy this video =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqHqRormxo
gbnz

Re: Never mind the Summer bike - Winter miles, Summer Smiles

Post by gbnz »

Love the title (Winter miles, summer smiles).

And have to admit that I'm in the bizarre situation of having walked approximately twice my cycling mileage during December & January. The fitting of a new bike computer in mid December proved the point to me this morning - my bike mileage has averaged 28 miles per week over a two month period (Nb. My on foot mileage has hit 20-30 miles a day, 4-5 days a week in the same period!)
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

gbnz wrote:Love the title (Winter miles, summer smiles).

And have to admit that I'm in the bizarre situation of having walked approximately twice my cycling mileage during December & January. The fitting of a new bike computer in mid December proved the point to me this morning - my bike mileage has averaged 28 miles per week over a two month period (Nb. My on foot mileage has hit 20-30 miles a day, 4-5 days a week in the same period!)

Thought everyone heard of that expression ;) It's definitely true though, if you cycle throughout Winter going out in Spring/Summer will be easier - not just the weather - but your overall fitness. Have to say though, my distance and speed definitely falls during Winter; it becomes more of a social thing - which is certainly no bad thing.

March could see me introducing one or two commutes per week, it's 22 miles each way, so highly dependent on the climate and changing my current sleep pattern. After a mild Winter it seems sensible to think March may not be so kind to us.
Yossarian

Post by Yossarian »

You're walking 30 miles a day?
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Yossarian wrote:

You're walking 30 miles a day?

Yes, not as far as it sounds I.e. Pop down to the beach, 8 mile round walk, have a look up to the moors 8-16 miles, have a look along the Dukes pastures, parkland 4-16 miles.

Though it'll be nice to get the miles on the bike soon. Don't know why, but a combination of no need to commute, heavy rain, high winds and limited storage space in a temporary flat has definately knocked my mileage back this winter.
cycle cat

Post by cycle cat »

I've been walking and using the turbo trainer over the winter.
I had a 3 day weekend. First ride in ages yesterday was 26 miles. I did 28 miles today.

Hopefully I'll lose some weight and be a lot fitter by the summer.
Riding a mountain bike with touring tyres on it helps. Very windy weather here too.
Thank goodness for soup.