Cycle2Work and Hot Desking (where do i put my kit)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
atlas_shrugged

Re: Cycle2Work and Hot Desking (where do i put my kit)

Post by atlas_shrugged »

Hang out your sweaty T shirt and flannel to dry in the office. Choose somewhere prominent like over a radiator near the bosses desk or near where HR sit.

You will magically have brand new lockers and drying rails provided within days.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

atlas_shrugged wrote:Hang out your sweaty T shirt and flannel to dry in the office. Choose somewhere prominent like over a radiator near the bosses desk or near where HR sit.

You will magically have brand new lockers and drying rails provided within days.

:lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

atlas_shrugged wrote:Hang out your sweaty T shirt and flannel to dry in the office. Choose somewhere prominent like over a radiator near the bosses desk or near where HR sit.

:lol: :lol: I was thinking similar, plus a rucksack for your other kit that people trip over....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Vorpal wrote:You might be able to sell them on providing a bit more (larger lockers, a drying area, or even a couple of wardrobes, or something?) for those who want to use active travel, such as walking, jogging, cycling, or want to take exercise at lunch time. It is to their benefit, as they get healthier workers.

There may be other reasons that a few people want or need larger lockers or other storage, such as keeping a suit jacket for meetings with external companies, keeping a change of clothes or spare shoes at work.

My negotiating strategy in such circumstances is to ask for the moon, on the basis that we will end up somewhere in between. It will likely help, if you can get others on your side. Not necessarily just cyclists, but other people who have any reason to want a bit more space.

And it's worth pointing out that it will be much cheaper to do it during refurbishment, than later.

This.

A refurb is an opportunity to get somewhere for drying the morning rain before the evening ride home.
It's an opportunity for your company to make it easy for people to take a lunch time walk/jog/ride/trip to a local gym and associated improved afternoon productivity.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Remind them how much space you’d be taking up if you had a parking space instead of a bicycle?

9494arnold wrote:Hot Desking : I thankfully don't have to do it, but at our Nerve Centre they do, and have done for a couple of years. I believe there are actually less desks than People (which is what Hot Desking is mostly about) which is usually mitigated by Leave/Shift work hours / People going out and about to do their work.
But I did hear stories about folk coming into work earlier by increment to "claim" a desk (we work Flexitime)

Our place has had it "nominally" for about five years, in as much as every team has its usually seating position, and although anyone could sit there in theory, in practice they never did.

Unfortunately someone’s decided to close all the satellite offices AND employ more staff, so now we've been told that we have to hot desk for real. And adopt a "clear desk" policy. To make MOST of the required desks, they’re currently installing loads of new, smaller desks. Won’t work for me or my team; everyone else is pretty much paperless, but on any given day I have about 20 files on my desk and another 800 or so being shuttled back and forwards to the large filing room we use. I’ve already told them where they can stick the idea of hot desking and clear desks! We’re a team of 8-9, and have been allocated 7 desks in the refurb. Unfortunately for the other teams, we're ALWAYS on site, and usually at our desks an hour before most people arrive.

On the plus side, as soon as the refurb is finished I can get my bike back in the bike shed. Right now it’s full of refurb stuff :(