Duke In Rollover

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: Duke In Rollover

Post by Cunobelin »

francovendee wrote::D :D :D :D :D
kwackers wrote:If only old codgers would surrender their right to vote that could have prevented a huge car crash.

... and if only 16- 25 year olds surrendered theirs, we could save dozens of huge car crashes

kwackers wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:... and if only 16- 25 year olds surrendered theirs, we could save dozens of huge car crashes

Right to vote???
How would that work?

Same way as with older people voluntarily surrendering their right to vote

It is also convenient to exclude this age group from UE Referendums as they were the main Remain voters
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Maybe it should be all the under 16s who can vote, and anyone older cannot.
It's the young people who will have the future, not us oldies.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:Maybe it should be all the under 16s who can vote, and anyone older cannot.
It's the young people who will have the future, not us oldies.

I feel that about my daughter. I fear though that she might vote for a YouTube blogger.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Can't be any worse than the shower we have now. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Prince Philip will not be prosecuted in statement by CPS.

Whether that's because there's no case, not a prospect of getting the prosecution or because he's handed in his licence we will never know so that's up to you to decide what your opinion is on that.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Tangled Metal wrote:Prince Philip will not be prosecuted in statement by CPS.

Whether that's because there's no case, not a prospect of getting the prosecution or because he's handed in his licence we will never know so that's up to you to decide what your opinion is on that.

Just speculation, but I would guess that the polis advised him to hand in his licence to avoid the potential for prosecution.

I'm pretty sure the CPS wouldn't deem it in the public interest to prosecute a 97yo for careless driving given that losing his licence in perpetuity is a worse punishment than he'd get from the court anyway.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Prince Philip will not be prosecuted in statement by CPS.

Just speculation, but I would guess that the polis advised him to hand in his licence to avoid the potential for prosecution.

I'm pretty sure the CPS wouldn't deem it in the public interest to prosecute a 97yo for careless driving given that losing his licence in perpetuity is a worse punishment than he'd get from the court anyway.

...is the reason why the CPS decided not to prosecute.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Bluntly put, do you think he's been told to surrender his licence or you'll probably get prosecuted? Having done so (he's not daft) the CPS took a suitable length of time before informing relevant ppl that it is not going ahead.

The thing is the Duke has a strong sense of duty IMHO. He's probably against giving up his licence but his sense of what's right for his position meant he did the best thing to limit damage to his institution (consort to the monarch). I reckon if he was a private citizen he'd fight it or take the prosecution. Kind of "I did it I'll take the consequences but you're not getting my licence!" attitude. He just seems a fighter to me.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's a long time since I had any dealings with the CPS but I fancy that if a case like this but without royal involvement had been submitted for prosecution then they'd have sent it back as not in the public interest. Supposing the driver had simply refused to surrender their licence they'd still have sent it back, the informal ie unstated attitude being "that's up to you." I've posted on this thread or another about the police sometimes being in the position of having to persuade an elderly driver to stop driving and somebody posted that they hoped it would lead to a complaint.

I'll guess that in this case, there's been a lot of backside covering, buck passing (unless that should be book) whatever.

In short, I think that this is pretty much the result there'd have been had it been "any old" 97 year old, but HRH has received considerably more publicity.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Tangled Metal wrote:Bluntly put, do you think he's been told to surrender his licence or you'll probably get prosecuted? Having done so (he's not daft) the CPS took a suitable length of time before informing relevant ppl that it is not going ahead.

The thing is the Duke has a strong sense of duty IMHO. He's probably against giving up his licence but his sense of what's right for his position meant he did the best thing to limit damage to his institution (consort to the monarch). I reckon if he was a private citizen he'd fight it or take the prosecution. Kind of "I did it I'll take the consequences but you're not getting my licence!" attitude. He just seems a fighter to me.

No, I suspect that the Police have suggested that as a course of action, and indicated a view that in those circumstances it would be highly unlikely the CPS would pursue. I don't think anyone gave him an ultimatum.

There's also his family - I expect that they told him to stop, too, at least on the public roads. Plenty of space to drive on ones own land - at least in his case (well, his missus', who's worth a bob, I'm told) :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

the only sad thing is should Trump come a visiting we and the Amercian people cant rely on Duke from "dealing" with him :wink:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

BBC news at 6pm explains a bit more fully about the verdict re Duke. Seems like they only conclude " not in the public interest" if the culprit has already passed the evidential test of a possible successful prosecution but then consider other facttors such as he has given up his license so wont be driving n public roads ever again. ( this I suggested way back but was accused of specualation and that the police were in cahoots with the CPS )
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
mercalia wrote:
I doubt it was "voluntarily " since he was seen driving a few days later? It was that or be prosecuted?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47186875

The article fails to support that.

In many cases like this, the cessation of driving is seen as a positive outcome, and no further action taken, so the risk prosecution is fairly low.

and no further action taken
(the Police told him that I bet ,that the CPS wont take it further as a result )

This is what you said in my response to posting a link to a BBC article that reported the Prince had voluntarily given up his licence.

Tell me, if the Prince had been forced to involuntarily give up his licence as you asserted, how was it done unless there was some kind of arrangement between Police & CPS - 'in cahoots' as I put it - to be met with rolleyes and sighing from you, I recall.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've explained the statutory duties of the CPS before. Step 1 is the evidential test, and only if that criterion is met does the public interest test apply. ie If there's insufficient evidence to prosecute, there's cannot be any question of a prosecution, whatever the public interest.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/publication/decision-charge

It took a long time for the relationship between the police and CPS to settle down. In the early days, a lot of cases were dropped for insufficient evidence when there were easy steps which could have been taken had the CPS requested action. They've had 35 years to get it right between them.

Although the police are only indirectly affected by the CPS tests, they must obviously take them into account. I get the impression the rather grandiose expression "not in the public interest" is used by some police to mean it's not worth the resources to investigate something to gather the evidence. ie no point gathering evidence for something that's not going anywhere.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

It is simples....
The CPS is not only in cahoots with Prince Phillip, but also:

This guy

and this one

Thera Rea many more examples.

The unproven claims of special treatment and an exception made are like most conspiracy theories... more about personal bias than the reality