speed and rhythm

althebike
Posts: 242
Joined: 10 May 2018, 12:58pm

speed and rhythm

Postby althebike » 13 Feb 2019, 11:45am

I am very much a rhythm type rider, the first 100 yards of any ride seems to determine my speed for the rest of the ride.For example I started a ride last year that went straight into 1000ft of climbing in the forest of Bowland, I crawled up at about 8mph and was delighted every time I got up to 10mph for the rest of the day. Leaving the crask inn for Lairg, I had a long decent averaging near 30mph, for the rest of the day, I comfortable held 20mph. Now both rides seemed to take the same effort , one ride I drop straight into my easiest gear every time I reach a road bridge, and grind on while on the other, it is big chainring and loath to let speed drop.
The question is, how can I get to ride with more consistency?

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4537
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: speed and rhythm

Postby foxyrider » 13 Feb 2019, 4:50pm

start on the flat? :roll:

What a conundrum! Maybe, on 'slow' days you need to force yourself to pedal harder instead of just changing down? Some days I just can't be bothered and get the same effect but if I give it some welly on even a quite short incline it usually 'kick starts' the motor and i'll find myself riding faster thereafter.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

mnichols
Posts: 1426
Joined: 22 Apr 2013, 4:29pm

Re: speed and rhythm

Postby mnichols » 13 Feb 2019, 9:38pm

althebike wrote:I am very much a rhythm type rider, the first 100 yards of any ride seems to determine my speed for the rest of the ride.For example I started a ride last year that went straight into 1000ft of climbing in the forest of Bowland, I crawled up at about 8mph and was delighted every time I got up to 10mph for the rest of the day. Leaving the crask inn for Lairg, I had a long decent averaging near 30mph, for the rest of the day, I comfortable held 20mph. Now both rides seemed to take the same effort , one ride I drop straight into my easiest gear every time I reach a road bridge, and grind on while on the other, it is big chainring and loath to let speed drop.
The question is, how can I get to ride with more consistency?


I think the key here is your effort. You may be outputting the same power, but other variables are effecting your speed, namely inline, decline, headwind, tailwind, aerodynamics, etc

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 2634
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: speed and rhythm

Postby Cugel » 13 Feb 2019, 9:59pm

mnichols wrote:
althebike wrote:I am very much a rhythm type rider, the first 100 yards of any ride seems to determine my speed for the rest of the ride.For example I started a ride last year that went straight into 1000ft of climbing in the forest of Bowland, I crawled up at about 8mph and was delighted every time I got up to 10mph for the rest of the day. Leaving the crask inn for Lairg, I had a long decent averaging near 30mph, for the rest of the day, I comfortable held 20mph. Now both rides seemed to take the same effort , one ride I drop straight into my easiest gear every time I reach a road bridge, and grind on while on the other, it is big chainring and loath to let speed drop.
The question is, how can I get to ride with more consistency?


I think the key here is your effort. You may be outputting the same power, but other variables are effecting your speed, namely inline, decline, headwind, tailwind, aerodynamics, etc


Or it's psychological. The fact is that, for the same power output over various terrains in various weather, physics will determine the variety of speeds achieved. If the speeds vary despite terrain and weather conditions being similar, for different locales or rides, it must be the power that's varying.

Cugel

mnichols
Posts: 1426
Joined: 22 Apr 2013, 4:29pm

Re: speed and rhythm

Postby mnichols » 13 Feb 2019, 10:16pm

Cugel wrote:
mnichols wrote:
althebike wrote:I am very much a rhythm type rider, the first 100 yards of any ride seems to determine my speed for the rest of the ride.For example I started a ride last year that went straight into 1000ft of climbing in the forest of Bowland, I crawled up at about 8mph and was delighted every time I got up to 10mph for the rest of the day. Leaving the crask inn for Lairg, I had a long decent averaging near 30mph, for the rest of the day, I comfortable held 20mph. Now both rides seemed to take the same effort , one ride I drop straight into my easiest gear every time I reach a road bridge, and grind on while on the other, it is big chainring and loath to let speed drop.
The question is, how can I get to ride with more consistency?


I think the key here is your effort. You may be outputting the same power, but other variables are effecting your speed, namely inline, decline, headwind, tailwind, aerodynamics, etc



Or it's psychological. The fact is that, for the same power output over various terrains in various weather, physics will determine the variety of speeds achieved. If the speeds vary despite terrain and weather conditions being similar, for different locales or rides, it must be the power that's varying.

Cugel


Could also be fitness/energy/hydration. if the OP is going hard at the beginning they may simply be tired. If they start on an easy section they still have energy to spare

althebike
Posts: 242
Joined: 10 May 2018, 12:58pm

Re: speed and rhythm

Postby althebike » 14 Feb 2019, 12:23pm

Thank you for your responses, it has given me food for thought. I think the bowland ride put me into survival mode which lasted all day. When I get some speed up, I think all the training has payed off, I am fitter and better than I think, and there is a psychological boost involved here too. My starting speed for a ride is often determined by my finishing speed the previous day, I slot straight back in , take a couple of days off and I don't want to ride again, my body shifts into not cycling mode.
I have just completed the british cycling base builder , and followed with the pre season training plans, My FTP is far higher than it was last autumn, yet on the road I am just the same, plus or minus nothing.

mnichols
Posts: 1426
Joined: 22 Apr 2013, 4:29pm

Re: speed and rhythm

Postby mnichols » 14 Feb 2019, 8:27pm

althebike wrote:Thank you for your responses, it has given me food for thought. I think the bowland ride put me into survival mode which lasted all day. When I get some speed up, I think all the training has payed off, I am fitter and better than I think, and there is a psychological boost involved here too. My starting speed for a ride is often determined by my finishing speed the previous day, I slot straight back in , take a couple of days off and I don't want to ride again, my body shifts into not cycling mode.
I have just completed the british cycling base builder , and followed with the pre season training plans, My FTP is far higher than it was last autumn, yet on the road I am just the same, plus or minus nothing.


That's interesting, a couple of years ago I had chance to participate in a very professional 6 week FTP building programme. It was very hard work. Like you I found it made no difference on the road. However, one winter I did the Victoria Pendelton spin programme at Fitness First and that made a massive difference. It was a very hard interval routine based on her own training programme. I don't think they do it anymore which is a shame as it made a tangible difference. I wish I could find the programme. It was excellent, especially the Sprint workout.

ANTONISH
Posts: 1596
Joined: 26 Mar 2009, 9:49am

Re: speed and rhythm

Postby ANTONISH » 16 Feb 2019, 8:44am

Maybe I've missed something - what is FTP?

rfryer
Posts: 673
Joined: 7 Feb 2013, 3:58pm

Re: speed and rhythm

Postby rfryer » 16 Feb 2019, 9:14am

ANTONISH wrote:Maybe I've missed something - what is FTP?

The max power output that you can sustain fur an hour.

User avatar
Audax67
Posts: 4526
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 9:02am
Location: Alsace, France
Contact:

Re: speed and rhythm

Postby Audax67 » 16 Feb 2019, 10:53am

althebike wrote:I am very much a rhythm type rider, the first 100 yards of any ride seems to determine my speed for the rest of the ride.For example I started a ride last year that went straight into 1000ft of climbing in the forest of Bowland, I crawled up at about 8mph and was delighted every time I got up to 10mph for the rest of the day. Leaving the crask inn for Lairg, I had a long decent averaging near 30mph, for the rest of the day, I comfortable held 20mph. Now both rides seemed to take the same effort , one ride I drop straight into my easiest gear every time I reach a road bridge, and grind on while on the other, it is big chainring and loath to let speed drop.
The question is, how can I get to ride with more consistency?


Going straight into a hefty climb without a warm-up puts a hell of a strain on your heart, and thereafter you can't get the same efficiency any more. A few k on the flat first will get you warmed up enough to tackle any climb you like and ride better after it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?