Brightest Rear Light for Daytime Use

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cube Rider

Brightest Rear Light for Daytime Use

Post by Cube Rider »

I'm interested to hear what fellow members consider to be the brightest rear lights for daytime riding?

The other day I was in my car and noticed two cyclists quite a distance ahead who both had very bright identical flash patten rear lights, unfortunately they took another route before I could reach them to ask what make / model their lights were.
mjr

Re: Brightest Rear Light for Daytime Use

Post by mjr »

You cannot compete with the low winter sun (at least not without doing something illegal like strobing or dazzling) so it's usually better to maximise the contrast of your silhouette by leaving the lights off.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

Exposure TraceR are pretty bright and show a constant light with a brighter flash
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Try the Lezyne Zekto Drive Max.
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

I use Bontrager Flare which had good reviews. Fellow cyclist chased me down this week just to find out what it was.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

I was also going to mention Bontrager Flare.
I should coco.
Cube Rider

Post by Cube Rider »

Several members have mentioned / recommended Bontrager Flare but from where can you buy them? A Google search shows mainly USA companies are the made in the US?
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

I got mine from Red Kite Cycles in Shirley West Mids They have webpage
Cube Rider

Post by Cube Rider »

Just ordered one from Sigma sport £28.00 + £1.99 P&P
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

The Four4th Scorpion is what many time trialists use. Can be seen from a mile away.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Cube Rider wrote:I'm interested to hear what fellow members consider to be the brightest rear lights for daytime riding?

The other day I was in my car and noticed two cyclists quite a distance ahead who both had very bright identical flash patten rear lights, unfortunately they took another route before I could reach them to ask what make / model their lights were.

Dinotte Daytime 400R. Be aware, you will still have motorists skimming past your elbow
if they're deterined to get past you and into the gap ahead. :x
mig

Post by mig »

De Sisti wrote:
Cube Rider wrote:I'm interested to hear what fellow members consider to be the brightest rear lights for daytime riding?

Dinotte Daytime 400R. Be aware, you will still have motorists skimming past your elbow

£222.53...!! :shock:
CyclingGuy

Post by CyclingGuy »

I have a couple of sets of See.Sense Ace lights and swear by them.
Read about my adventures on the British Cycle Quest at: http://www.quest.nwarwick.co.uk
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

mig wrote:
De Sisti wrote:

£222.53...!! :shock:

I agree with De Sisti - brilliant light: I own one.

I also agree with Mig- as it is rather expensive - but what price your life?
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

CyclingGuy wrote:I have a couple of sets of See.Sense Ace lights and swear by them.

V nice lights as well: have Ace2 on Kickstarter discount preorder - not as bright as the Dinotte but a lot cheaper.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.