King Street, Bristol - cycle stands removed

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
brooksby

King Street, Bristol - cycle stands removed

Post by brooksby »

Does anyone know why Bristol City Council has removed the cycle stands from outside 16 King Street in Bristol? https://goo.gl/maps/hvphaSVUE1R2

They were always busy. I hope they're going to replace them/refurbish them, and not just double yellow the road or turn it into paid parking spaces...
brooksby

Re: King Street, Bristol - cycle stands removed

Post by brooksby »

I've worked it out myself. Harry and Meghan are visiting Bristol today, first stop the Old Vic extension. And the bike stands in question are practically right outside the Old Vic. I presume that the stands had to be removed on *Tuesday* for the hour or so the Sussexes will be visiting four days later as a security measure...?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Try to make sure they're replaced: report it at www.fixmystreet.com or Bristol council's website if you know it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

I had an email from Bristol CC - I'd emailed them as soon as I saw that the stands had gone. They've assured me that they're being put back next week. I will be watching!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Well done and thank you from one occasional visitor!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Hadn't noticed this. I'll have to go and check next week... Mind you, I didn't realize they'd finished the extension either. It was still under construction last time I went to the Old Vic!
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Its going to be interesting to see when (or whether!) they manage to reinstall those bike stands. During the day, King Street is pretty badly parked up, and when I went down there about 8 this morning there was a van parked right in the space where the stands used to be (I think the owner liked having the 'protective' kerbs and bollards at each end of the space... :?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Still not there last night.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Still not there last night.

I know. Last had email from them 13th February after I chased them again. The reply then was "Please accept our apologies., My colleague has chased this up and instructed for them to be installed asap". I was planning to leave it until tomorrow (so, *another* week) and chase them again, but I've just done it now.

They were originally removed two or three days prior to Megan and Harry's visit to the Old Vic "for security reasons" (?) - we are now three *weeks* later and they still haven't been put back.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

As I recall they were on a sort of metal runner base. I wonder if, in addition to it being low priority and lack of resources etc, they might have disassembled the hoops from the base for removal (assuming they were bolted rather than welded, I don't know) and can't get them back together again or have lost some of the pieces? Which would almost be funny but...

On the bright side, at least the end stops are still there and it hasn't been turned into either car parking (at least not officially) or yellow lines. And thanks for your work in chasing this up.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Keep it up. Unfortunately, making it easier to do the job right than answering the correspondence can sometimes be the only way.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Would anyone like to speculate on how motorists would react to parking spaces being needlessly unavailable for three weeks after a temporary security closure? There'd probably be a muckspreader driving past the Count's Louse by now. Cyclists are far too nice about stuff.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think you can be sure that if there were to be a shop anywhere near they'd be looking to claim compo for loss of business, real or imaginary.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

No shops on King St but plenty of bars, pubs, restaurants. And the theatre of course.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mjr wrote:Would anyone like to speculate on how motorists would react to parking spaces being needlessly unavailable for three weeks after a temporary security closure? There'd probably be a muckspreader driving past the Count's Louse by now. Cyclists are far too nice about stuff.

Speculation is our main activity on these fora
Cycleways are very suitable for parking :?
An expert explained that there are about three times as many parking spaces as vehicles, when one is at work the space at home is free, on the way home the shopping paradise always has room :(
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 19 Feb 2019, 9:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies