** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Hobbs1951

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Hobbs1951 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
PDQ Mobile wrote:Honda's going to close Swindon it seems.
It's a biggy.

And they say that’s because they want to concentrate on electric cars, they said nothing to do with Brexit.

You believe that ?

John.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

It's a biggy.

And they say that’s because they want to concentrate on electric cars, they said nothing to do with Brexit.

Nothing? You think brexit never came up when they were considering Swindon?

It's all about investment. Moving to electric cars doesn't mean removing investment from any given place, they could just as easily have switched the plant to making parts for such cars.
But it makes no sense. If you need to completely rejig your plant why do it somewhere with shoddy trade deals and no guarantees?
Honda are simply avoiding being political.

The EU now have a deal meaning that tariffs will be removed in the future, we don't.
Not only don't we have such a deal but we're a decade or more from ever getting one. Even if we went with May's deal tomorrow uncertainty will hang around for years until deals with the relevant countries are signed.

The world is global and we've just departed it. All around us countries are merging into groups to leverage good trade deals whilst we are exiting one of the largest.
Surely a good gut will tell you that isn't a good thing?

None of this was unforeseen and this is just the start.
Last edited by kwackers on 19 Feb 2019, 10:52am, edited 1 time in total.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

It's a biggy.

Well if you think Brexit is not a factor then I think that is wishful thinking on your part.

A bit like the workers in Honda's plant perhaps, who are making 9 out of 10 cars as LHD's as a constant reminder of the value of easy export markets!

It's pretty extraordinary, the wilful belief in Farage's lies, ("Gibraltar's a colony say bossy EU").

Whatever the reason, the knock on effect will be felt far and wide, into S.Wales's component manufacturing and as a wider malaise perhaps as far as Rees Mogg's Somerset, (a certain irony there?).

But don't worry the remote (sunlit?) uplands of Cornwall will remain draped in their sight reducing mists.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

re the backstop

further to what I have been saying before about the fear that the EU will set a very high bar to ending the backstop should it come into force. Its occurs to me that without changing the current agreement, what the UK needs is some veto over the EU's veto to ending the backstop ie That the EU cannot require a soln to the border problem that would be as effective as a customs union but only to some degree? since to do so would shift the meaning of the backstop away from the GFA to really protecting the EUs dogmas - and that is not the purpose of the backstop?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
mjr wrote:Where "some time" is at least 900 years because it's a Hanseatic port like King's Lynn...

A pedantic distraction, I was merely commenting on the poster's which contextually refers to more recent migrants from the EU (notably Poland).

Not really a distraction. Boston's always had a large immigrant population. Probably an even higher proportion in the past. It's an international port. Migration pretty much comes with that. The whole recent xenophobia blow-up is extremely bizarre. I blame the failure to teach local history in schools since the national curriculum.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I was only quoting what has been said today in the news media.
Attack the facts as stated by the media from the car makers, But stop attacking the posters!

I’m only little old me with a big fat gut :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

There's no need to stoop to their level! Maybe try fact-checking stuff, or questioning less credible claims.

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Attack the facts as stated by the media from the car makers, But stop attacking the posters!

That'll be the car makers who'll want the 17.4m to keep buying Hondas despite closing a UK factory, then? ;-)

Honda's decision having nothing to do with Brexit is about as credible as all the people who claim that Boris and co never promised "let's give our NHS the £350 million".
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Clearly Honda's decision is as much about the UK's decision to leave the EU as it is about anything else...see my post on the previous page. I'd like to see along with the constant quoting of numerous media pieces the poster's considered opinion on the subject - any subject.

I'm sure we can all trawl the interweb for articles...

John.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:
mjr wrote:Where "some time" is at least 900 years because it's a Hanseatic port like King's Lynn...

A pedantic distraction, I was merely commenting on the poster's which contextually refers to more recent migrants from the EU (notably Poland).

Not really a distraction. Boston's always had a large immigrant population. Probably an even higher proportion in the past. It's an international port. Migration pretty much comes with that. The whole recent xenophobia blow-up is extremely bizarre. I blame the failure to teach local history in schools since the national curriculum.

No it hasn't. Thirty years ago in relation to the locally born population there was a small number of foreign immigrants, the majority being German and Ukrainian ex POWs, and Poles from the Anders army who chose to remain here rather than go back to Poland. There were a fair number of internal migrants mainly from London and the South East attracted by the low house prices.

Boston was an important port for wool exports in mediaeval times but the Haven silted up in the late 16th century and there wasn't much foreign going shipping until the dock was built in about 1880 and the New Cut had been made to alleviate the silting problems. I think the dock was built mainly to export coal from the Notts and Derbys pits. Most of this was carrie din British ships. Coming the other way was largely timber from the Baltic. It's unlikely that many members of the Baltic boats decided to settle in teh town.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Attack the facts as stated by the media from the car makers, But stop attacking the posters!

I’m only little old me with a big fat gut :)

No one's attacking you "Natural" but rather what you believe.
Where are you personally attacked?
Or is it a spurious claim-again?

And by the way if you don't think the report is right why quote it without stating a position?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Please keep Boston secret until I have been there :wink:
In the time of the Hanseatic League travel by water was often easier and safer than travel by land
Un-fortunately the 'discovery' of the New World in 1492 led to the decline of the Hanse

Fewer new cars, Plus One, bet I am not the only one pleased about that!

Post 12 224 approximately :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Please keep Boston secret until I have been there :wink:
In the time of the Hanseatic League travel by water was often easier and safer than travel by land
Un-fortunately the 'discovery' of the New World in 1492 led to the decline of the Hanse

Fewer new cars, Plus One, bet I am not the only one pleased about that!

Post 12 224 approximately :wink:

Don't worry when Boston is mentioned most people assume you mean the fake one in the USA. Now the population of that one has always largely consisted of immigrants and it was, of course, founded by immigrants from the real Boston.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

So Mrs May is off again to Brussells.

Whatever must her weekly visit be costing? Just to have the same conversation with the same outcome every time.
John
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Who was it that said the cost of no deal would be higher than remaining in the EU ?

John.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

If I were Honda and found that if I repatriated to Japan where a deal had just been struck enabling me to sell my cars to the best market on Earth at zero tariff I know what I would do.

Whether or not I came out and said "Brexit is to blame" is pretty irrelevant, given that if I remained in the UK I would not have a clue what the deal would be.
John