Holt Town tram lines /lack of cycle route Manchester Metrolink

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
B6868

Holt Town tram lines /lack of cycle route Manchester Metrolink

Post by B6868 »

Hello
I was wondering how Manchester cyclists negotiate the crossing of the tram lines at this location..?

I have attached a few photographs both in a westerly direction looking towards the Etihad stadium one reverse angle to indicate the lack of an alternative cycle route across what I consider to be a hazardous section of the tram line.

Does anybody commute to Manchester using this route and if so what was your experience.?

Thanks in anticipation..
Attachments
20190204_133931.jpg
20190204_133912.jpg
20190204_133900.jpg
20190204_133740.jpg
20190204_133612.jpg
RickH

Re: Holt Town tram lines /lack of cycle route Manchester Metrolink

Post by RickH »

I'm not a commuter but, when I go between the city & the vicinity of the Ethiad (or, more likely the National Cycling Centre), I almost always use the Ashton Canal towpath, which ends a couple of hundred yards from the bottom of the station approach at Piccadilly.

The Rochdale isn't too bad either (having ridden all the way out to Rochdale that way the other week) although the towpath is a bit narrow in parts around Ancoats/New Islington.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We've had discussion regarding tram lines a few times on here.
I have commuted into Portsmouth Dockyard, Devonport Dockyard, Rosyth Dockyard, and Clyde Submarine Base when I was in the RN. Many rail tracks as well as crane tracks. Points, curves, crossings, the lot. Lethal if you're not careful.

The only way to stay upright, is to cross the lines at an angle. Do not go alongside them. Weave in and out over them and don't follow them parallel. If you can't, you MUST take a different route.
Mick F. Cornwall
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

We have some similar bits in Sheffield - at one point there's even a warning sign for cyclists! :lol:

In dry weather, as long as you cross at at least 30 degrees to the rail it's generally okay but in the wet I want to be closer to 45 degree minimum.

Of course that's fine if the rails are straight but we have some where the rails are on a turn where you cross them. I came off back in 2017 due to this, crossed first rails at okay angle but second set were much tighter and no chance to adjust between them.

I try to avoid the on road tram routes if it's possible or adjust my route to avoid the dodgy crossings.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mig

Post by mig »

i don't cross these lines here but do cross the same one further up towards ashton under lyne (where the tracks run along the main road for miles.)

lethal things when wet especially, unavoidable in places.
B6868

Post by B6868 »

Thanks everybody..
I guess the best thing to stay upright then is to avoid..i certainly will be in the future .. :)
RickH

Post by RickH »

Wider tyres help - I seldom ride on anything narrower than (nominally) 40mm these days - but I don't ride places with tram tracks very much, last time was the middle of January in Rochdale (with Snow Studs on the bike).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.