Churches - interesting

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Churches - interesting

Post by Sweep »

Yes I know there is another thread but that to me seems a tad box ticking.

Am more interested in details of intereresting/nice (OK - terrible word I know but it's what I mean) churches, without I stress getting into too learned architectural details where I must admit I tend to switch off.

I am a confirmed - virulent at times - atheist but do like stopping off at them on my bike wanderings for various things.

@ Nice atmosphere.

@ Bits of local history

@ Interesting tombs and gravestones.

@ Nice spots to make an espresso round the back

@ Generally godless Britain means that there is a fair chance of peace and quiet.

@ Some have publicly accessible toilets.

@ Books for sale, though admittedly a tendency towards the worthy/pure/non controversial.

@ Shelter - have sheltered from terrible downpours in porches and lychgates.

Over to you chaps - will add some of mine later
Sweep
radek

Re: Churches - interesting

Post by radek »

i like churches. I am religious, but apart from that there is something special about them. Perhaps place/feeling of sanctuary? hmm...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

radek wrote:i like churches. I am religious, but apart from that there is something special about them. Perhaps place/feeling of sanctuary? hmm...

yes definitely radek - they are places of quiet contemplation.

And I value their history, place in the community/landscape.
Sweep
gaz

Post by gaz »

St James', Cooling, Kent.
Imagine the scene as Magwitch appears through the mists whilst Pip is visitng the graves of his brothers and sisters. That's what Dickens did.

All Saints, Wouldham, Kent.
Walter Burke Esq .... He was purser on his Majesty's Ship Victory in the glorious battle of Trafalgar and in his arms the immortal Nelson died.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thanks for the reply gaz.

Yes I know that place in cooling.

Thanks to a certain Barry Mason.

Though may you burn in hell :) for your post lost my own reccomendation, due to an ungodly quirk of the forum software.

Will try to return soon to retype it all.

Can I ask more about the second?
Sweep
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Not a church exactly (though it contains some), but Brookwood cemetery is worth exploring in some detail. You can cycle through it, as it's a few thousand acres, though it may be better on foot.

http://www.tbcs.org.uk/walks.HTM

There is an Orthodox Church which is interesting in itself I suppose

https://www.saintedwardbrotherhood.org/

Several national war memorials

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-cemeteri ... y-cemetery

and various Islamic sects, Zoroastrian and others
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

If you're ever out in our little bit of the Oxfordshire Cotswolds, Shorthampton church, just west of Charlbury, is magical. Medieval wall paintings and an extraordinary sense of peace. There are pictures online but it's better to discover it for yourself.

I do like a ride to a cathedral, too. Last Easter Sunday, after playing the organ at our own church for the morning service, I cycled out to Christ Church Cathedral for Evensong. A beautiful service and all the more enjoyable for having got there by bike.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thank you Richard.

And for your discretion/sense of poetry in reccomending that we discover its surprises for ourselves.

Reminded me of St Peters and St Pauls Chaldon.

Though this wasn't the one which Gaz's contribution consigned to the trash.

Sometimes I think I must have supernatural powers.

For I had cycled past it (hell it's not far south of Croydon) several times and kind of sensed there was something interesting about it.

Eventually stopped for a break and wandered in.

For it contains an incredible doom painting (don't google folks, just wander in) which was only uncovered by accident in the 19th century.

Really gives you a sense of the godfearing (to put it mildly) world which folks inhabited before the reformation.

Also, sadly, contains info on a bell/bell fitting which the above mentioned scum deprived us of relatively recently.

Always been unlocked whenever I have passed.
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mosques are worth visiting too, many welcome strangers, you just have to take your shoes off
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

If I stopped at all the interesting churches around here i'd never get anywhere! :roll:

Last one I did actually take a look at was Alstonefield on the Staffs/Derby border in the PD. Norman arch inside - nice little church with a galleried bell tower. Also self service tea and coffee available.
DSCN0574.JPG
DSCN0569.JPG

In my travels i've been to quite a lot of ecclesiastical buildings, some are pretty mediocre but many hold great delights. Who can resist the Boston Stump (another tea room place) or the wobbly Dry Doddington, (get the key from the pub).

I'm far from religious but you cannot ignore the influence the Church has had on at least European architecture over the last 1500 years. There's something intriguing when you find a nice bit of reused Roman stone, a Norman doorway, a Saxon tower or a rare thatched example.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
simonwoodward66

Post by simonwoodward66 »

Rob Roy's grave at Balqhidder.
Have a look at the British Cycle Quest. It's full of interesting churches and graves.
img_20180528_113205.417.jpeg

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my MotoG3 using hovercraft full of eels.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

look out for the nudy women showing their bits gargoyles that BBC news said are dotted a round many Normann churches. There is a special name for them that I have already fogotten. Maybe some one would refresh my memory
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

When cycling up the west coast of Scotland last year came across Applecross church , very simply done but beautiful in a spectacular setting .
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sheela-na-gigs: The naked women adorning Britain's churches

here is the BBC article

"For hundreds of years carvings of naked women have sat provocatively on churches across Britain. But who created them - and why? "

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45116614
gaz

Post by gaz »

Sweep wrote:Can I ask more about the second?

From a time when people with a claim to fame chose to record it in stone after their death.

Walter Burke, despite the contradiction in terms in his arms the immortal Nelson died.

There's a couple of alleged Trafalgar cannon balls and perhaps some other souvenirs inside the church itself. OnTrafalgar Day the kids from the local primary march to the church to lay flowers at the grave. The current Rev rides a bike.