Newbie with a Vintage mtb

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fordy0508

Newbie with a Vintage mtb

Post by fordy0508 »

Hi all,

First Post so please be brutal
I'm doing a basic resto on my mtb, it's been in the daily for 20 years and it was 2nd hand then.
I'd like to find out some info and history about it and I'm hoping you can help with that.
It's a Titanium Frame, don't know brand or. Model, it's got wishbone style seat stay with no brake bosses so uses an odyesee pitbull brake.
Various Deore / XT / XTR bits
Mavic Rims
Stupid large crankset
USE forks - again don't know much about them, I know they're rare and they're good too, I love the way they look and handle
Hyperlite bars
And that's about it for the goodies

Plan is to put a smaller chainset on, respray and ride

Enough words, here are the pics
Picture9.jpeg
Picture8.jpeg
Picture5.jpeg
Picture2.jpeg
Picture1.jpeg

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my H8216 using hovercraft full of eels.
ElCani

Re: Newbie with a Vintage mtb

Post by ElCani »

If you haven't posted it there already, the Retro Bike MTB forum will be able to help.
fordy0508

Post by fordy0508 »

ElCani wrote:If you haven't posted it there already, the Retro Bike MTB forum will be able to help.
I've got a post in there, lots of suggestions but we're not quite there yet

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

interesting bike, that. Rear brake looks like an Odyssey Pitbull MkI rollercam brake. IIRC such brakes were flavour of the month in ~1987 to ~1989. I don't recognise the fork but it looks like one from about that time too.

Frame looks more like TIG welded steel to me; I can't be sure from the pics but the weld beads look too narrow for Ti and is that rust on the gear hanger? If a magnet sticks to it, the frame is steel. The paint colour looks about the same as was used on some raleigh M-trax frames in the mid 1990s, but it doesn't especially look like a raleigh to me.

No mudguard eyes suggests a frame made for racing only, maybe custom made, rather than a big-brand frame. If the frame is period correct to the rear brake (rather than modified by chopping the bosses off a later frame) then the fact that it has wishbone stays may be revealing; IIRC there were only a few builders using that style in the late 1980s.

Maybe someone will recognise it out of the box, but it might be a mystery one....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fordy0508

Post by fordy0508 »

Brucey wrote:interesting bike, that. Rear brake looks like an Odyssey Pitbull MkI rollercam brake. IIRC such brakes were flavour of the month in ~1987 to ~1989. I don't recognise the fork but it looks like one from about that time too.

Frame looks more like TIG welded steel to me; I can't be sure from the pics but the weld beads look too narrow for Ti and is that rust on the gear hanger? If a magnet sticks to it, the frame is steel. The paint colour looks about the same as was used on some raleigh M-trax frames in the mid 1990s, but it doesn't especially look like a raleigh to me.

No mudguard eyes suggests a frame made for racing only, maybe custom made, rather than a big-brand frame. If the frame is period correct to the rear brake (rather than modified by chopping the bosses off a later frame) then the fact that it has wishbone stays may be revealing; IIRC there were only a few builders using that style in the late 1980s.

Maybe someone will recognise it out of the box, but it might be a mystery one....

cheers
The colour is custom, we sprayed it, it's defo titanium, no rust to the frame, not magnetic, ultra light and defo Ti lol

Thanks

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it still doesn't look very much like a Ti frame to me; several of the tubes are very heavily manipulated (eg the chainstays), the way the seatstays are made is unlike ti frames that I have seen, the way the cable stops are done is again unlike other Ti frames, the way the seatstays join onto the rear dropouts is odd too. The seat tube looks like it is very thick walled or has a shim in it. All very odd.

What is the wall thickness of the head tube?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fordy0508

Post by fordy0508 »

Not a clue, I'll measure up when I strip for respay

pwa

Post by pwa »

It wouldn't be one of those bonded Raleigh jobs would it, possibly with more than one material?
fordy0508

Post by fordy0508 »

It's all one material, we've stripped to bare metal, it was bare when we had it too, not magnetic and weighs FA

pwa

Post by pwa »

It is a curious thing. I'm sure you have established that it isn't steel, and it doesn't look like ally, so titanium is what you end up with. The way the chainstays taper into the rear droputs is very steel-like, which is not that common with titanium MTBs, so that might narrow it down. Whatever it is, it looks like it was made with an eye for detail.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Has some similarities ... U-brake and monostay

https://merlintitanium.com/images/merli ... 09_000.jpg

The rear cable routing is not the same though ...
peetee

Post by peetee »

One of my kids has a frame just like that. It was yellow originally and branded BOSS. I think it was made by British Eagle. It is incredibly light for a oversize ally frame.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

peetee wrote:One of my kids has a frame just like that. It was yellow originally and branded BOSS. I think it was made by British Eagle. It is incredibly light for a oversize ally frame.

On a quick glance at the welds, it's not made out of aluminium
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
peetee

Post by peetee »

Gattonero wrote:
peetee wrote:One of my kids has a frame just like that. It was yellow originally and branded BOSS. I think it was made by British Eagle. It is incredibly light for a oversize ally frame.

Fair enough. I was judging it based on the dropouts and tube diameter. My screen resolution isn't good enough to see the welds.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
fordy0508

Post by fordy0508 »

peetee wrote:
Gattonero wrote:

Fair enough. I was judging it based on the dropouts and tube diameter. My screen resolution isn't good enough to see the welds.
Tube dia is standard not oversized pal