** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mr bajokoses

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by mr bajokoses »

Oldjohnw wrote:If I were Honda and found that if I repatriated to Japan where a deal had just been struck enabling me to sell my cars to the best market on Earth at zero tariff I know what I would do.

Whether or not I came out and said "Brexit is to blame" is pretty irrelevant, given that if I remained in the UK I would not have a clue what the deal would be.

It ought to be obvious to anyone with any capacity for critical thinking, that brexit is to blame for Honda's decision. However, Honda are wise not to put it so plainly if they want brexit voters to continue to buy their cars.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Hobbs1951 wrote:Clearly Honda's decision is as much about the UK's decision to leave the EU as it is about anything else...see my post on the previous page. I'd like to see along with the constant quoting of numerous media pieces the poster's considered opinion on the subject - any subject.

I'm sure we can all trawl the interweb foir articles...

John.

Yet again another poster who attacked the poster of any information rather than attack the information or try and corroborate an opposite opinion to what was posted.
I Only posted information which was in the main time News.
Its main time news no trawling necessary here.

Today ford pullout of South America truck manufacturering Losing 2800 jobs.
And that’s Main time news.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Hobbs1951 wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
PDQ Mobile wrote:Honda's going to close Swindon it seems.
It's a biggy.

And they say that’s because they want to concentrate on electric cars, they said nothing to do with Brexit.

You believe that ?

John.

I don’t have to believe anything just to quote some information.
Like a poster said previous attack the information not the poster.
Honda said it so you have to attack Honda.
What do you believe?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

^"Natural"
Honda."It's main time news"; however the BBC and many other media choose to lead on the loss of citizenship of one young girl in Syria, rather than the closure of a whole factory right in the heart of England.
3500 jobs there another 3500 in support industries and the knock on effect on a wider society.
It's a big blow. (Or not?)
Unions say quote "catastrophic, devastating,etc".

As to my view, that is that the UK leaving those long established agreements and the new Japan/EU trade deal must be a significant factor.

If one has an alternative view please state it.
Swiss media (outside view?) says closing Swindon is the "skid marks of Brexit" (though it means on the "business"road. not in Rees Moggs underpants!)

Their correspondent Martin Alioth, states that "to not blame Brexit is misleading".
And that the auto industry is the UK is a bit like "a canary in a mine" and furthermore he considers Honda to be the "tip of the iceberg".

https://m.srf.ch/news/wirtschaft/honda- ... des-brexit
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 20 Feb 2019, 11:01am, edited 1 time in total.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Just because I don't post an opinion or view does not exclude me from posting.
Maybe you think it should?
Our gov are already pushing for electric cars in the future.
A large firm international actually was building colossal factories in EU and South America that I worked in.
The labour rate in Czech was just 25p / hour just before entering the eu.
The factory in south America dwarfed the EU one.
Firms go where labour is cheap.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Firms go where labour is cheap.

That's not as true as it used to be. Automation means the percentage costs of labour aren't that great anymore.

Far more important is how close you are to your raw materials and target markets, transport costs and time are the real deal breaker these days.

With that in mind a 10% tax on importing/exporting your goodies is far more important than even a huge hike in wages.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Just because I don't post an opinion or view does not exclude me from posting.
Maybe you think it should?
Our gov are already pushing for electric cars in the future.
A large firm international actually was building colossal factories in EU and South America that I worked in.
The labour rate in Czech was just 25p / hour just before entering the eu.
The factory in south America dwarfed the EU one.
Firms go where labour is cheap.

Cheap labour hmm.
I suppose we could devalue the pound, again, though many economists would be uncomfortable about that, highly inflationary as it is.
Some counties with strong currencies are doing very well.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Hobbs1951 wrote:Clearly Honda's decision is as much about the UK's decision to leave the EU as it is about anything else...see my post on the previous page. I'd like to see along with the constant quoting of numerous media pieces the poster's considered opinion on the subject - any subject.

I'm sure we can all trawl the interweb foir articles...

John.

Yet again another poster who attacked the poster of any information rather than attack the information or try and corroborate an opposite opinion to what was posted.
I Only posted information which was in the main time News.
Its main time news no trawling necessary here.

Today ford pullout of South America truck manufacturering Losing 2800 jobs.
And that’s Main time news.

I think you are missing the point, a simple criticism of a point of view or a lack of one is not an attack.

John.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

kwackers wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Firms go where labour is cheap.

That's not as true as it used to be. Automation means the percentage costs of labour aren't that great anymore.

Far more important is how close you are to your raw materials and target markets, transport costs and time are the real deal breaker these days.

With that in mind a 10% tax on importing/exporting your goodies is far more important than even a huge hike in wages.

Correct, while labour costs are an important part of the equation* other considerations are more so: e.g close to your target markets, and logistics are the highest cost these days.

*the equation is a complex one.

J.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Ne'er mind Honda, I shall be out of the UK - worse, in EU - when "we" crash out. Will I be allowed back in? Will I be crushed in the tide of those heading the other way? Thank goodness I don't have any other Passport. Those who have sought "safety" of say an Irish or Polish Passport so as to travel within EU have I suspect simply increased the danger of their deportation. Anyone who CAN live elsewhere and who does not conform to the new Englishness aka right wing and racist will be required to do so. "If you are not with us you are against us.....get out."
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oldjohnw wrote:So Mrs May is off again to Brussells.

Whatever must her weekly visit be costing? Just to have the same conversation with the same outcome every time.

Same procedure as every year! :lol: :cry:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Hobbs1951 wrote:Who was it that said the cost of no deal would be higher than remaining in the EU ?

I don't know but a Bank of England MPC member reportedly says just the current uncertainty is already costing us £800m a week (warning: faily mail link) - over double even the misleading £350m a week lie.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

djnotts wrote:Ne'er mind Honda, I shall be out of the UK - worse, in EU - when "we" crash out. Will I be allowed back in? Will I be crushed in the tide of those heading the other way? Thank goodness I don't have any other Passport. Those who have sought "safety" of say an Irish or Polish Passport so as to travel within EU have I suspect simply increased the danger of their deportation. Anyone who CAN live elsewhere and who does not conform to the new Englishness aka right wing and racist will be required to do so. "If you are not with us you are against us.....get out."

Ah, but you've got a passport, so you're clearly a filthy seditious foreigner-sympathiser who has spent money over there and will be in the second group to be interned(!)

I suspect things may actually be quicker than usual for UK passport holders re-entering the UK for the first few days if we exit brutally - as long as you're not trying to bring a truckload of goods in with you! Possibly most of the "EU passport holder" gates will be available to you because I doubt this farce is making EU citizens keener to try travelling here in early April.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Post now deleted.
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 20 Feb 2019, 1:21pm, edited 4 times in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I see also that the chief of the bank of England made a "U" turn on his predictions about Brexit, if it could not get anymore confusing.

Link or it didn't happen.