** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I see also that the chief of the bank of England made a "U" turn on his predictions about Brexit, if it could not get anymore confusing.

Link or it didn't happen.

I've no idea if this is true or not but just because their isn't a link to something on this forum does not mean it didn't happen.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I see also that the chief of the bank of England made a "U" turn on his predictions about Brexit, if it could not get anymore confusing.

I've no idea if this is true or not but just because their isn't a link to something on this forum does not mean it didn't happen.

I must admit I did a quick search and could find anything so I'm with mjr; "link or it didn't happen".
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Can someone please explain why our PM keeps going on about how they *have* to go ahead on Brexit because it was a manifesto promise etc etc, when every political party in history (including her's) has quite happily broken manifesto promises before without any qualms? :?:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

kwackers wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:Link or it didn't happen.

I must admit I did a quick search and could find anything so I'm with mjr; "link or it didn't happen".

I did a very quick search and found these. DOn't know if they show favour but they certainly seem to be very positive comments compared to his previous words on the same.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... england-uk

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/b ... 78051.html
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pete75 wrote:I did a very quick search and found these. DOn't know if they show favour but they certainly seem to be very positive comments compared to his previous words on the same.

Cheers for that.

Only had a quick scan so I'll reserve proper judgement for later but I'm not sure the Guardian article is saying brexit will be positive, merely that it's a chance for better international cooperation.
Is it? To me it seems to be more about nationalism but I could be missing something.
The Independent article tried quite hard to make me sign up for something so couldn't look, I'll tackle it again later.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

^^
I read the links above.
IMV the Guardian one suggests little more optimism from Carney than previously but nothing major. It is also 2 weeks old!

And this quote from the Independent one sums it up for me:-

"Yet the truth is, the headlines in the Eurosceptic press are based on small snippets of Carney’s remarks, with all context removed."

Personally, since Mervyn King, I have little faith in the Bank of England to predict anything!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

kwackers wrote:
pete75 wrote:I did a very quick search and found these. DOn't know if they show favour but they certainly seem to be very positive comments compared to his previous words on the same.

Cheers for that.

Only had a quick scan so I'll reserve proper judgement for later but I'm not sure the Guardian article is saying brexit will be positive, merely that it's a chance for better international cooperation.
Is it? To me it seems to be more about nationalism but I could be missing something.
The Independent article tried quite hard to make me sign up for something so couldn't look, I'll tackle it again later.

No. Carney is not talking about nationalism at all - quite the opposite and his remarks seem far more positive about possible Brexit outcomes than he has been in the past. Is he thinking about possible ways to make the best of a bad job?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:^^
I read the links above.
IMV the Guardian one suggests little more optimism from Carney than previously but nothing major. It is also 2 weeks old!

And this quote from the Independent one sums it up for me:-

"Yet the truth is, the headlines in the Eurosceptic press are based on small snippets of Carney’s remarks, with all context removed."

Personally, since Mervyn King, I have little faith in the Bank of England to predict anything!

Oh so only the latest soundbites have any value?

The two sides are fighting a war - they present info in the manner most favourable to their own side. Haven't you realised that yet?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

pete75 wrote:
Oh so only the latest soundbites have any value?

The two sides are fighting a war - they present info in the manner most favourable to their own side. Haven't you realised that yet?

It's not that, but rather it is a fast moving scenario now. Honda and resignations etc.

And the tone does change.
Which side do you think Carney is on ?

As for not realizing it, "I be but a simple farmer etc"!
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:

There are now tons of sites like "Briefings for Brexit" and "Brexit News" and so on which are flooding facebook with basically spins statements into stuff that didn't happen, such as reporting a slightly different tone to an opinion as a U-turn, trying to make opponents waste their time fact-checking and rebutting it, by which time they've moved on to the next fib. I'm trying to spend even less time challenging and debunking their spin as their supporters do spreading it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:Link or it didn't happen.

There are now tons of sites like "Briefings for Brexit" and "Brexit News" and so on which are flooding facebook with basically spins statements into stuff that didn't happen, such as reporting a slightly different tone to an opinion as a U-turn, trying to make opponents waste their time fact-checking and rebutting it, by which time they've moved on to the next fib. I'm trying to spend even less time challenging and debunking their spin as their supporters do spreading it.

But when you do that here it's often your own spin you use as a rebuttal.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:There are now tons of sites like "Briefings for Brexit" and "Brexit News" and so on which are flooding facebook with basically spins statements into stuff that didn't happen, such as reporting a slightly different tone to an opinion as a U-turn, trying to make opponents waste their time fact-checking and rebutting it, by which time they've moved on to the next fib. I'm trying to spend even less time challenging and debunking their spin as their supporters do spreading it.

Yep, fight fire with fire. Those who come with decent news links will still get similar in reply but I'm not doing all that legwork to reply to the latest gibberish invented by Bannon's minions.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:There are now tons of sites like "Briefings for Brexit" and "Brexit News" and so on which are flooding facebook with basically spins statements into stuff that didn't happen, such as reporting a slightly different tone to an opinion as a U-turn, trying to make opponents waste their time fact-checking and rebutting it, by which time they've moved on to the next fib. I'm trying to spend even less time challenging and debunking their spin as their supporters do spreading it.

Yep, fight fire with fire. Those who come with decent news links will still get similar in reply but I'm not doing all that legwork to reply to the latest gibberish invented by Bannon's minions.

My father believed in fighting fire with fire - that's why he got sacked from the Fire Brigade.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I think it is only positive in the sense that there is an opportunity that could be taken but also points out the risk if it isn't taken by all (which, IMHO, seems unlikely in the present political climate).
Mark Carney wrote:It is possible that new rules of the road will be developed for a more inclusive and resilient global economy. At the same time, there is a risk that countries turn inwards, undercutting growth and prosperity for all.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mjr

Post by mjr »

brooksby wrote:Can someone please explain why our PM keeps going on about how they *have* to go ahead on Brexit because it was a manifesto promise etc etc, when every political party in history (including her's) has quite happily broken manifesto promises before without any qualms? :?:

Because she's obsessed about removing freedom of movement from EU citizens even if it means UK citizens lose freedom too, despite having completely failed as Home Secretary to enforce the controls the UK had as an EU member state to restrict immigration from EU countries or even non-EU ones, to the point of crazed.