Returned to my Garmin Edge 820

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
busb

Returned to my Garmin Edge 820

Post by busb »

Before Xmas, I returned to using my Edge 25 due to the Bluetooth to iPhone issues I was having with my Edge 820. Garmin finally resolved the connection problem with v11.00. Both Garmins were underestimating distance by a few percent compared with my phone app (Cyclemeter) that I considered to be reasonably accurate. I already had a Wahoo Cadence sensor that works fine (apart from the delay in reading) so also bought the Wahoo Speed sensor that's attached to my front hub. I set the tyre size manually using the chart in the instructions & both Cyclemeter & the 820 are in much closer agreement. I set the min speed to its lowest start setting of 6mph & pause to 3mph.
What strikes me is the variability in distance calculations between GPS devices over short distances such as commutes. The Edge 820's touch screen is pretty poor without gloves so added a Garmin Remote that has solved most of the issues without being distracted in heavy traffic. However, most GPS units have very poor displays compared with most if not all phones. Many phones also do mapping far better. I use both Garmins more for recording - I'll probably stay alive longer - they can be dangerously distracting in rush hour traffic.
busb

Re: Returned to my Garmin Edge 820

Post by busb »

Although the Garmin Remote works well enough, it seems it can only be paired with one host at a time - I added my Edge 25 (rather pointless, I know) but refused to work with my Edge 820 until, I re-paired it which then wouldn't control the 25. Not a deal breaker for me.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

I must confess to feeling sorry for any unfortunate soul who agonizes over how far they might or might not have travelled, as I also feel sorry for anyone who downloads after rides or who updates to a new version of whatever software they are using on whatever goddamn fangled device they might have attached to their handlebars.
I should coco.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Valbrona wrote:I must confess to feeling sorry for any unfortunate soul who agonizes over how far they might or might not have travelled, as I also feel sorry for anyone who downloads after rides or who updates to a new version of whatever software they are using on whatever goddamn fangled device they might have attached to their handlebars.

A nice constructive post. :?
Each to their own.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
busb

Post by busb »

cycleruk wrote:
Valbrona wrote:I must confess to feeling sorry for any unfortunate soul who agonizes over how far they might or might not have travelled, as I also feel sorry for anyone who downloads after rides or who updates to a new version of whatever software they are using on whatever goddamn fangled device they might have attached to their handlebars.

A nice constructive post. :?
Each to their own.

Probably still running Windows 3.1!
It's a bit like someone complaining that a particular thread is boring them - they don't seem to get that they don't have to contribute, especially when their so-called contribution is not very constructive. But hey - being rude, opinionated or patronising is the natural state for many online where they wouldn't be so face to face.