Churches - interesting

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5516
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Churches - interesting

Postby Sweep » 21 Feb 2019, 3:59pm

durhambiker wrote:
Sweep wrote:Yes I know there is another thread but that to me seems a tad box ticking.

Am more interested in details of intereresting/nice (OK - terrible word I know but it's what I mean) churches, without I stress getting into too learned architectural details where I must admit I tend to switch off.

I am a confirmed - virulent at times - atheist but do like stopping off at them on my bike wanderings for various things.

@ Nice atmosphere.

@ Bits of local history

@ Interesting tombs and gravestones.

@ Nice spots to make an espresso round the back

@ Generally godless Britain means that there is a fair chance of peace and quiet.

@ Some have publicly accessible toilets.

@ Books for sale, though admittedly a tendency towards the worthy/pure/non controversial.

@ Shelter - have sheltered from terrible downpours in porches and lychgates.

Over to you chaps - will add some of mine later

Likewise,I make Richard Dawkins look Tame,but do enjoy wandering the odd church and grounds.


+1

it is I suppose possible to read some of those earlier folks as being driven to look beyond the purely material but at the same time keen to not have their guts torn out and burned because of some imagined sin (possibly by neighbours with an agenda) against an imagined and used god.
Sweep

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5516
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Churches - interesting

Postby Sweep » 21 Feb 2019, 4:03pm

LinusR wrote:Two of my favourites - both in Essex.

St Peter's Chapel, Bradwell-on-Sea. One of the oldest buildings in Britain (7th century) and on the very edge of Essex. Built on the site of a Roman fort. Always a good trip out from London to visit it and along the gravel track.

Imageend-of-essex

Greenstead Church, near Ongar. The oldest wooden church in the world. Built mid 11th century.


Have been to St Peters thanks to a trip lead by the aforemetioned Barry Mason.

You?

The wooden church - one of the London cycling groups quite often goes there.

Must join them one weekend.
Sweep

User avatar
LinusR
Posts: 289
Joined: 24 May 2017, 7:27pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Churches - interesting

Postby LinusR » 21 Feb 2019, 4:10pm

Sweep wrote:
Have been to St Peters thanks to a trip lead by the aforemetioned Barry Mason.

You?

The wooden church - one of the London cycling groups quite often goes there.

Must join them one weekend.


I knew Barry - a great rider leader, and so much more. I can't remember who took me to St Peter's first. The picture of the chapel is one I took 18 months ago - a Central London CTC ride led by a friend. Our group is in the foreground.

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5516
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Churches - interesting

Postby Sweep » 21 Feb 2019, 4:16pm

LinusR wrote:
Sweep wrote:
Have been to St Peters thanks to a trip lead by the aforemetioned Barry Mason.

You?

The wooden church - one of the London cycling groups quite often goes there.

Must join them one weekend.


I knew Barry - a great rider leader, and so much more. I can't remember who took me to St Peter's first. The picture of the chapel is one I took 18 months ago - a Central London CTC ride led by a friend. Our group is in the foreground.

yes -a great guy - even if he did once near get me killed once - see "black ice" thread.

Feel free to pm me - possible we have met.
Sweep

mercalia
Posts: 11110
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Churches - interesting

Postby mercalia » 21 Feb 2019, 4:32pm

Sweep wrote:
LinusR wrote:Two of my favourites - both in Essex.

St Peter's Chapel, Bradwell-on-Sea. One of the oldest buildings in Britain (7th century) and on the very edge of Essex. Built on the site of a Roman fort. Always a good trip out from London to visit it and along the gravel track.

Imageend-of-essex

Greenstead Church, near Ongar. The oldest wooden church in the world. Built mid 11th century.


Have been to St Peters thanks to a trip lead by the aforemetioned Barry Mason.

You?

The wooden church - one of the London cycling groups quite often goes there.

Must join them one weekend.


on my list also

Bmblbzzz
Posts: 2785
Joined: 18 May 2012, 7:56pm
Location: From here to there.

Re: Churches - interesting

Postby Bmblbzzz » 21 Feb 2019, 5:56pm

Sweep wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:The sense of peace you get is I think both spiritual (I'm not sure I'd describe myself as religious, and Christian is way too bold a word) and physical. (Might argue it's not really possible to separate the two.)


In a perverse way I think part of the peace is because this country being pretty godless these days the churches are very often, in fact more often than not, totally free of god followers. Leaving them for cyclists in search of a bit of history and peaceful contemplation.

Yes I think that's one factor. But equally I've stopped at many churches where I've found members of the local congregation engaged in arranging the flowers and similar, and had interesting conversations with them. Occasionally tourists ditto but the conversation is less engaging, not surprisingly as they are less engaged with the locality. I only remember one occasion when I bumped into the vicar.

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 7634
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: Churches - interesting

Postby al_yrpal » 21 Feb 2019, 7:46pm

I am a non believer, a Humanist their online test tells me, but I absolutely love our churches. These days we arent building any :( which is a shame. When I enter a church I breathe in its history and spirituality, I dont really know what that is but its there.

Heres the little known St Botolphs at Swyncombe surrounded by Snowdrops and Aconites right now, it magic.

2019-02-21_07-30-44.jpg


And heres Pishill church adjacent to the Chiltern way with a ghosty offering refreshments to passer bys



Al ...great thread Sweep!
Image Attachments
2019-02-21_07-31-24.jpg
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

sjs
Posts: 726
Joined: 24 Jan 2010, 10:08pm
Location: Hitchin

Re: Churches - interesting

Postby sjs » 22 Feb 2019, 9:52am

foxyrider wrote:If I stopped at all the interesting churches around here i'd never get anywhere! :roll:

Last one I did actually take a look at was Alstonefield on the Staffs/Derby border in the PD. Norman arch inside - nice little church with a galleried bell tower. Also self service tea and coffee available.
.


One might think that proximity to Dovedale would make this area too crowded to be pleasant, but not so. The area generally west of Hartington is good cycling country if you like hills, and has a lot of pleasant villages and churches (and pubs, for that matter). Wetton, Grindon, Butterton etc.

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4500
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Churches - interesting

Postby foxyrider » 22 Feb 2019, 10:00am

sjs wrote:
foxyrider wrote:If I stopped at all the interesting churches around here i'd never get anywhere! :roll:

Last one I did actually take a look at was Alstonefield on the Staffs/Derby border in the PD. Norman arch inside - nice little church with a galleried bell tower. Also self service tea and coffee available.
.


One might think that proximity to Dovedale would make this area too crowded to be pleasant, but not so. The area generally west of Hartington is good cycling country if you like hills, and has a lot of pleasant villages and churches (and pubs, for that matter). Wetton, Grindon, Butterton etc.


Just beware of the hotspots like Hartington and Ilam and from Easter, the Tissington / High Peak trails. I certainly avoid the PD at weekends / holiday weeks as the number of grockles makes it less than pleasant to ride around. And you can't get near the cafes! (i'm sure a lot of the coffee options are made up) At least the church refreshments are straight forward - tea or coffee!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

sjs
Posts: 726
Joined: 24 Jan 2010, 10:08pm
Location: Hitchin

Re: Churches - interesting

Postby sjs » 22 Feb 2019, 10:03am

St Botolph's church at Iken, north of Orford in Suffolk is one of my favourites. Also the thatched Hamlet church at Duddenhoe End, Essex, and the tiny church at Trentishoe, in Exmoor, which comes complete with a large collection of bats.

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5516
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Churches - interesting

Postby Sweep » 22 Feb 2019, 12:05pm

Your Suffolk reference reminded me.

St Andrews Covehithe - at the end of the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBeMSzbk6Ro

Bit of an oddity as it's mostly a ruin.

It is right out on the coast, and in fact just beyond it signs tell you not to walk to the sea from there due to eroding cliffs - you have to take a detour.

There is a small row of houses across the road so not totally isolated.

Will try to embed the vid later.
Sweep

Slowroad
Posts: 702
Joined: 28 Jun 2008, 9:58pm
Location: Nottingham, UK

Re: Churches - interesting

Postby Slowroad » 23 Feb 2019, 8:44pm

I'm another atheist church-visitor - recommend Lincolnshire - the Wolds, as someone has already mentioned (hilly than some expect) and the dead flat marshes to the east. The Churches Conservation Trust is an excellent organisation which keeps unused historic churches open and safe for us the visit. They have leaflets in local libraries and a website https://www.visitchurches.org.uk/visit/ ... hurch-tab2
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4500
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Churches - interesting

Postby foxyrider » 23 Feb 2019, 9:47pm

Had a neb at South Wheatley church earlier. (north Notts)

DSCN0674 - Copy.JPG


Been past a few times, thought i'd have a look today. I've no idea on the history (no on site information) but the arch has Norman elements and the tower includes medieval features.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

landsurfer
Posts: 4856
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Churches - interesting

Postby landsurfer » 23 Feb 2019, 9:52pm

Back in the 80's there was an annual ride ... 12 Churches i seem to remember .
I took part twice it was a great day out ... so much better than the reliability runs of the day.
It's not about the bike .. It's about the journey .....
The Road Goes On Forever ........................

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5516
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Churches - interesting

Postby Sweep » 23 Feb 2019, 9:52pm

foxyrider wrote:Had a neb at South Wheatley church earlier. (north Notts)

DSCN0674 - Copy.JPG

Been past a few times, thought i'd have a look today. I've no idea on the history (no on site information) but the arch has Norman elements and the tower includes medieval features.

Is it just a tower?

Can't see the rest of it.

If just a tower. what happened to the rest?
Sweep