Overtaking roadies?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gbnz

Overtaking roadies?

Post by gbnz »

What's the most courteous way to overtake roadies?

It's become apparent that the wannbe Lance Armstrongs et al are back on the road, now that springs arrived; the number I've overtaken in the past couple of weeks is quite incredible.

But todays overtake illustrate the problem; on my Spa Tourer, Ortlieb pannier on the back, wearing chinos and an old fleece and simply on a low speed leisure ride, out for a pint twenty miles away (Nb. I was taking it slowly, my 8.5 Hr's flat out in the pool, gym and on the bike yesterday left me struggling to stand first thing this morning, never mind cycle anywhere (Nb. I think the 200 lengths in the pool "killed" me :oops: - had to take the weights easy this morning before breakfast :oops: )

But there was a group of roadies ahead, on the climb over the moor. Each and everyone tightly clad in lycra, super light roadbikes, facial expressions as they briefly looked behind illustrating the effort they were making. But as I ambled past at perhaps twice their speed, it was a bit embarrassing (Nb. I carefully hid the pear I was eating, to avoid the impression that I found it too easy).
drossall

Re: Overtaking roadies?

Post by drossall »

I think your main mistake was not to let them see the pear :lol:
PH

Post by PH »

As you pass ask them if they'd like to race. Passing them in any other circumstance and going on about it is simply boasting.
gaz

Post by gaz »

gbnz wrote:What's the most courteous way to overtake roadies?

Same as any other overtaking situation. Check it's safe before you begin and pass wide. Up to you whether to add a cheery good morning/afternoon/evening as appropriate.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

drossall wrote:I think your main mistake was not to let them see the pear :lol:

Should I have mentioned in passing that as of last week, I'm now a "disabled" person? (NB. I am contesting the NHS's conclusion that I'm not fit enough to go walking, running, swimming, cycling et al :lol: ). Though the free bus pass is invaluable
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

The same as you do when overtaking anybody. Wide and fast, then do not slow down. Perhaps they are struggling with their lightweight machines because they do not have the benefit of weight training that you gain from with your baggage.

Seriously, the type of machine they are riding is totally irrelevant. I find it odd that the modern term "roady" is used in such a derisory manner on this forum. This has been used several time in the last few weeks but there is no comparable comment about any other type of machine or rider. Why haven't the liberals on here shouted "we are all cyclists" as they do if anybody dares use POB.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

PH wrote:As you pass ask them if they'd like to race. Passing them in any other circumstance and going on about it is simply boasting.

+ 1

'Roadies' are fellow cyclists. NOT another species!!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Spinners wrote:
PH wrote:As you pass ask them if they'd like to race. Passing them in any other circumstance and going on about it is simply boasting.

+ 1

True, but there is a certain irony about the situation :roll:
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

gbnz wrote:
Spinners wrote:

+ 1

Explain please.

We're all of different abilities. I'm really unfit at the moment but I went for a 50km ride last week and overtook 'roadie' cyclists and was overtaken by 'roadie' cyclists. I really don't see any point to your post other than bragging :roll:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Of course you don't know if they are just finishing a hilly 100 mile training ride. Back in the early 1970s I was passed by a youth on a Raleigh Chopper - I was on the finishing circuit of a 12 hour time trial and feeling pretty grim.

What does one do to be defined as a roady? If I take the bag and carrier off my touring bike, do I then become a roady?
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

It's become apparent that the wannbe Lance Armstrongs et al are back on the road, now that springs arrived; the number I've overtaken in the past couple of weeks is quite incredible.

But todays overtake illustrate the problem; on my Spa Tourer, Ortlieb pannier on the back, wearing chinos and an old fleece and simply on a low speed leisure ride, out for a pint twenty miles away (Nb. I was taking it slowly, my 8.5 Hr's flat out in the pool, gym and on the bike yesterday left me struggling to stand first thing this morning, never mind cycle anywhere (Nb. I think the 200 lengths in the pool "killed" me :oops: - had to take the weights easy this morning before breakfast :oops: )

But there was a group of roadies ahead, on the climb over the moor. Each and everyone tightly clad in lycra, super light roadbikes, facial expressions as they briefly looked behind illustrating the effort they were making. But as I ambled past at perhaps twice their speed, it was a bit embarrassing (Nb. I carefully hid the pear I was eating, to avoid the impression that I found it too easy).

Humblebrag :roll:

Why is someone a 'Wannabe Lance Armstrong' because they are wearing cycle specific clothing and bikes you deem to be 'super light'? I ride a 'lightweight' bike, I often wear lycra, I'm not that fast so you would probably overtake me on your [insert bike of choice] wearing [insert casual clothing of choice], I'm definitely no 'wannabe' :roll:

So you're fitter and faster on the road than some other people ... well done to you, but actually putting up a post on a forum to tell everyone how amazing you are disguised as a question that the answer is obvious and needs no real explanation to the forum members here as we already know, that's pretty sad frankly.
pointless thread just so you can brag about how fit you are ugggh
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Spinners wrote:
gbnz wrote:
Spinners wrote:
+ 1

Explain please.

We're all of different abilities. I'm really unfit at the moment but I went for a 50km ride last week and overtook 'roadie' cyclists and was overtaken by 'roadie' cyclists. I really don't see any point to your post other than bragging :roll:

There's always a certain IRONY in dealing with individuals who believe that by BUYING all the gear, they've MADE IT.

Whether it's at the gym alongside the pot bellied young men, with their protein shakes and special app's on how to lift weights - while the 78 year old bloke alongside is lifting twice their weight, or playing alongside incompetent musicans who struggle to complete the scale on a multi thousand pound musical instrument, while the young kid alongside demonstrates an astonhishing ability, on a knackered, old, borrowed instrument.

Full respect to the elderly woman who's cycled into town over the last ten years on a cheap bike, regardless of weather, or the local kid who's doing a 4 mile round trip to school every day on his bike. Difficult to identity with cyclists who've bought all the high speed gear, but neglected basics such as how to ride it at speed :roll:
mjr

Post by mjr »

tatanab wrote:I find it odd that the modern term "roady" is used in such a derisory manner on this forum. This has been used several time in the last few weeks but there is no comparable comment about any other type of machine or rider.

You've missed the recent posts criticising riders of Dutch bikes, three speeds and e bikes, then!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Irony maybe but I hope you aren’t extracting the Michael of a group of cyclist who sounds like they were holding a pace to suit their slowest rider.
You ask

I will say with a friendly chat and an offer of a bite of your pear. :D

Seeing as you didn’t do that can you remember the faces of the two guys pulling them along at front? Well they can probably remember yours next time they are out alone. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Yet more Trolling left alone by the Moderators.....

......I wonder how long it would last if I started a thread about Touring Cyclists,or Recumbent cyclists or non-helmet wearing cyclists before the Mods kicked in.
No need to answer Mods I can make an educated guess :roll: