Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
JakobW

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Post by JakobW »

I'm probably being really dense (or possibly it doesn't show on the mobile site?), but I can't find the donation link - where should I be looking?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Very nice! I also note the "go direct to (next point/end)" option. Not sure what you'd use it for though?

When you notice an error on the underlying map, you can fix it but it takes a while before Richard loads that up, so "go direct" can let you overcome it for the time being.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

I have money to give!! But I cannot figure out how.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Very nice! I also note the "go direct to (next point/end)" option. Not sure what you'd use it for though?

You'd use it either when local knowledge trumps the routing algorithm, or when there's a problem with the underlying OpenStreetMap data.
Occasionally, you'll find that cycle.travel won't route along a section, even when you add via points to try to force it.

Examples may be a refusal to use an A road that you know is quiet at the time you intend to ride, a refusal to use a track in Scotland* that's not marked as cycles permitted, or where two roads don't connect properly.
It is possible to fix the OSM data, but that would take a week or two to feed back into the Cycle.travel routing. Being able to force a route avoids the wait.

In Scotland, bikes are regarded as an aid to pedestrianism, and hence get included in the general right to roam. You can hence cycle along any countryside track or path (or even open hillside), but many of the tracks were added to OSM by walkers and don't explicitly allow cycling, which means that cycle.travel won't route along them.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I see, thanks. I've certainly encountered the "local knowledge trumps mapping" situation (where cycle.travel and other routers avoid the A38 north out of Bristol) -- but then if you know where you're going anyway, you don't need a route!

Useful to know about Scottish tracks.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I can see a few dozen journeys have already been planned with the paved-only option which is good!

On mobile I've just put the "Become a supporter" link on the map's share tab. Or you can get at it from the "My bike" section.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

I first discovered Cycle Travel about 3 or 4 years ago and I registered then, it was quite good back then but I think it's better now.

I use it to find a route and download it to my garmin and that suits me. I can have cycle travel on my phone at the same time, maybe a dedicate phone app would be good...if it is a good one.

Well done @Richard Fairhurst
mjr

Post by mjr »

The "get route" button no longer removes via points. This is a mixed blessing because it was sometimes useful to check what the suggested route to see how much I'd added (or removed!) and now it seems like I have to remove the via points individually. Is there another way to do that?

Is it possible to get permission to access the tile servers directly to be able to make printable maps of routes plotted by the site, please? The automatic PDF generator isn't as good as what I can do with Viking: the map range often seems to cut off nearby landmarks I would like to consider detouring to if there was time, and sometimes the point where you switch from one map to the next seems a bit odd.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

mjr - I've sent you a PM re the tiles! I'll probably restore the old 'Get route' behaviour - basically I rewrote the via point handling as part of the paved-only option and this slipped through the cracks.

RRSODL - thank you! App will definitely happen (eventually) - if nothing else, every time I go to London I wish I had an app where I could just ask it "route me to Limehouse" and have it read directions in my earpiece without having to save, download, and open in another app...
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Having a very dumb bunny moment.
I want to plan a ride over known roads/tracks by clicking at way points and junctions.
However I am struggling with the logic.

I can click on a start point but then I can only seem to click once to provide and end point to then enable the option to click on additional points.

I am making a little progress by setting start and end side by side, but now when I click to add additional points it is moving the start point away from the end point. In addition it is doing crazy things like suddenly taking me round three sides of a block when two points are in a direct line on the same road. I can't seem to drag the route back to the straight line either.

I don't know if there have been updates to the software recently because I don't recall these problems before.

Is there an easy way to plan a "breadcrumb trail" where you select the start and then just keep clicking on the map to move the end point further and further away (until you loop back to where you started?

OK posting this because I have worked it out eventually. You drag the end point along and keep dragging the track back to where you want it and pin it there with way points. Hopefully next time I get into trouble I will look back here for a reminder.
RickH

Post by RickH »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Having a very dumb bunny moment.
I want to plan a ride over known roads/tracks by clicking at way points and junctions.
However I am struggling with the logic.

I can click on a start point but then I can only seem to click once to provide and end point to then enable the option to click on additional points.

I am making a little progress by setting start and end side by side, but now when I click to add additional points it is moving the start point away from the end point. In addition it is doing crazy things like suddenly taking me round three sides of a block when two points are in a direct line on the same road. I can't seem to drag the route back to the straight line either.

I don't know if there have been updates to the software recently because I don't recall these problems before.

Is there an easy way to plan a "breadcrumb trail" where you select the start and then just keep clicking on the map to move the end point further and further away (until you loop back to where you started?

OK posting this because I have worked it out eventually. You drag the end point along and keep dragging the track back to where you want it and pin it there with way points. Hopefully next time I get into trouble I will look back here for a reminder.

Once you have a route (either by doing 2 clicks or by opening a presaved one), you should have a tick box in the left panel (just below the new "paths & roads/paved only" selector) that says "Click map to add more points". Once that is ticked you can extend the route by simply clicking wherever you want.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

RickH wrote:<snip>
Once you have a route (either by doing 2 clicks or by opening a presaved one), you should have a tick box in the left panel (just below the new "paths & roads/paved only" selector) that says "Click map to add more points". Once that is ticked you can extend the route by simply clicking wherever you want.

However it doesn't seem to work as you describe. I do the two clicks to enable the tick box but as far as I can tell you can only add extra way points between the start and finish markers. If they are very close together then you get strange routing results.
RickH

Post by RickH »

LittleGreyCat wrote:
RickH wrote:<snip>

However it doesn't seem to work as you describe. I do the two clicks to enable the tick box but as far as I can tell you can only add extra way points between the start and finish markers. If they are very close together then you get strange routing results.

I have found an anomaly - I'm using my android phone & cycle.travel in Firefox browser at the moment. If I go to a saved journey (without going to the map page as I don't get the panel with previously saved journeys on the phone rendering) rather than just going straight to the map then the multiple clicks to create a route works. If I click on the map link from the main page then the multiple clicks doesn't work.

I also can't access the left panel to see if the box is ticked unless I go to the map page by first going to my (bike) > journeys & opening a previously saved journey first. If I then close the journey I can still access the panel as long as I don't leave the map screen.

BTW you can set the site to permanently allow extra clicks in my (bike) > profile > preferences. (but that still won't let me do extra clicks if I don't go via opening a saved journey to get to the map).

Maybe Richard can figure out why it behaves differently depending on how you get to the map page?
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

A small request from a cyclist that likes to ride through alpine psses: could passes on bikeable roads be displayed at all sorts of zoom levels and not only the highest please?
I find it interesting to plan routes based on that information.
Maybe this could be a perfect opportunity to add layers in CT so one could toggle on/off displaying this kind of information (a bit like accommodations)?
Thank you.
"A cycle tourist doesn't have a track record. Just memories". Jean Taboureau
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

Hi, I have planned a route from Northern France to Croatia which can be seen here https://cycle.travel/map/journey/91778?lat=46.0117&lon=11.7735&zoom=11

When I zoom in to the 1660 distance marker there is a route named "VIA" on the map. Is there a way of using cycle.travel to find out more about this (or any other) route, or highlighting the route so I can see it in full ?

thanks
Neil.