Changes to my Nazca Paseo

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Changes to my Nazca Paseo

Post by UpWrong »

I have been focussing on changes to my RANS and Catrike, so the Paseo has been neglected. I got it up and running from a frameset (from LaidBack Bikes who have provided me with excellent customer service) a while back. The seat angle was a bit extreme for me (managed a Giro 20 previously but abandonned an HPV Grasshopper). Decided I would be more relaxed and confident with a SA CS-RK3 so I could change gear when stationary.

So I'm a weight weenie with a heavy bike (41 lbs in derailleur form), trying his best to keep the weight down. So I repurposed an XC717 disc rim using DB spokes for the wheel build, I took off the low pannier rack and fitted a lighter rear mudguard with lightweight stays. Then I replaced the suspended fork with a fixed fork. This was a difficult decision but I was really struggling to dismount the bike and this lowered the front end by 40mm or so which also brings the pedals nearer to the ground. Fortunately the head angle can be altered on the Paseo (via the rear suspension position) so I was able to maintain the trail measurement. I have yet to reinstall the front mudguard. The end result is around 40.5 lbs. Seat height is about 21", BB height about 24". Photos here (taken before I lowered the suspension to slacken the fork angle): https://photos.app.goo.gl/dYHQkZOeH3H8fCw02

It's very easy to balance, very pleasant to ride and silent in operation. Just wish it was 10 lbs lighter. In time with increased confidence I might revert to derailleurs only. I have a wider front wheel rim and hub on order so that I can fit a Big Apple tyre. Having been literally thrown off the Metabikes by a pothole I am really wanting a wide tyre on the front. I am hopeful that the long wheelbase of the Paseo and a wide front tyre will stop a reoccurrence of that.
UpWrong

Re: Changes to my Nazca Paseo

Post by UpWrong »

Forgot to mention it's acquired a Tektro Aquila rear disc brake - more weight! The V-brake was interfering with the return chain line.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I spent some time considering tinkering with my speedmachine - CF boom, lighter components, rigid front fork ... I reckon it makes more sense to spec a new bike than modify a heavier bike to something lighter. YMMV and obviously does!

It looks very nice!
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

belgiangoth wrote:I spent some time considering tinkering with my speedmachine - CF boom, lighter components, rigid front fork ... I reckon it makes more sense to spec a new bike than modify a heavier bike to something lighter. YMMV and obviously does!

It looks very nice!

Thanks. Apparently it's possible to get a Speedmachine down to 33lbs, see Zach Kaplan's blog.

The Paseo didn't feel heavy to ride at least. One thing i forgot to mention is that the rear shock seems to have to work harder without a suspension fork taking some of the hit. My back was aching from the carbon seat's lumbar support curve. I've been using novosport pad which is quite thin. I will try the heavier Nazca one.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Hmmm, 14kg is light for a fully-suspended machine, but I doubt he maintained that (i found his facebook page with a quick google, but not the build details). Once you go down the modification road though, might it not make more sense to start with a Challenge SL model, or a Schlitter?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I couldn't agree more. I'm fighting a losing battle. Here's a link to Zach's build, and it does retain full suspension: https://www.facebook.com/zachkaplancycles/posts/1696839760375231
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I had another ride over the weekend and have identified a problem for me with the CS-RK3, the pick up on the hub is rather slow. There seems to be a large angle between the pick ups, maybe as much as 60 degrees. So I'm stopped at a T-junction, I raise the right pedal to the 12 o'clock position and there's no pick up at that point. I bring it back to 11 o'clock and nothing. I bring it back again to 10 o'clock, and have pick-up now but my knee is too bent for the push off. I backpedal it round to 1 o'clock and have pick-up. I launch myself and fail to gain sufficient momemntum for a clean take-off and have to stop and paddle the bike to the kerb. Maybe I was spoilt by previously having an XTR hub with a fast pick-up, but this is causing me problems frequently. Apart from that i was quite liking the hub and being able to change down when stationary. It helped on a few hill starts after I had to stop to give way on narrow lanes to traffic coming down.

I'm not convinced by the hard shell seat. The curled 3-angle position is giving me back ached in the lumbar region. Mesh back seats by contrast are used in a more upright position and are 2-angled.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Maybe I've finally got there. Changes: changed rear wheel back to the XTR rear hub now with Deore RD and 12-36 cassette and Alivio 9-sp Rapidfire shifter, reinstated Avid rear V-brake, installed Stronglight Kid Impact compact double crankset with 33/44 rings and SRAM MRX Comp grip shifter, folding Kojak rear, folding Supreme front on reinstated Velocity Aeroheat rim, extra layer of foam on upper back of seat to reduce lumbar curve. Weight is now 38lbs (me holding bike up standing on bathrooms scales minus me alone). I think previous stated weights were a pound optimistic because I used the scales and book method.

Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sfJ6CYjDjsSadr7F6

Next project is to find a way of loading it inside the car. I have a cunning plan :lol:
hercule

Post by hercule »

My Fuego fits neatly into the back of a Skoda Octavia with the boom and chainset between the front seats, wrapped in an old fertiliser bag to keep things clean. Mind you, my aerobars don’t seem to project as far forwards as yours do...
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

hercule wrote:My Fuego fits neatly into the back of a Skoda Octavia with the boom and chainset between the front seats, wrapped in an old fertiliser bag to keep things clean. Mind you, my aerobars don’t seem to project as far forwards as yours do...

Aha, I have a Skoda Roomster. Your Fuego is lower than my Paseo of course. My plan to put on small wheels for transport purposes ony, making it a 16/20 configuration. I can then roll it in I hope. I have a concern about it's unaltered length though since the mudguard projects about 4" rearwards of the rack. I might look at a making up a shorter mudguard supported by a single stay and the chain stay bridge bolt. That way it will be both lighter and shorter. :lol:
Last edited by UpWrong on 25 Feb 2019, 8:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Is it ‘rinko’ the Japanese ‘dismantleable’ bikes?

I wonder if their extending mudguards are an option?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Is it ‘rinko’ the Japanese ‘dismantleable’ bikes?

I wonder if their extending mudguards are an option?

That's an interesting idea, Rinko split fenders. TBH I think I could get away with velcroing a matching section which only had to extend 4". I'd need to leave the current double stays in place to provide good support for an 8" section with 4" velcroed and 4" extending.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Just a quick summary of changes so this thread is complete. I changed the 33/44 double to a 30/42 in order to lower the gearing. This with a triple crankset and a guard in the 3rd ring position and with a 12-36 nine speed cassette. I took the bike to the Netherlands in this config and it was fine although the rear changes weren't too slick. As documented elsewhere I then contemplated a 1x11 before going with a 2x10 consisting of a 33/48 compact double and a customised 13-40T cassette. The RD and shifter is XT and this is a big improvement. I also changes the steel fork to an aluminum one by Bacchetta. No further changes planned. So I weighed it today with rack, guards, rear light and front light mount. It totaled about 38lbs. Not light but good enough. Any problems with performance will be down to the engine I think :oops:
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

It's been a while. I've been riding the RANS mostly. Was contemplating "n-1" but thought it worth revisiting the Paseo. I changed the rear tyre to a the wider folding Pasela Protite 42-559, rather nice. Swapped the front wheel to the wider Halo Sub4 rim shod with a folding Maxxis DTH 49-406. I put the seat in its most upright position and took it for a spin. Yes, those wider tyres gave it a very assured feeling. I found launching it to be easy enough. Finally got the technique right: hold it on the rear brake and have the crank close to upright, push and release.

But I wasn't comfortable in the seat and I was tending to slide forward. I measured the seat angle at 38 degrees. That's rather upright for the carbon sport seat. I'm using a thin Novosport pad. A thicker one should improve comfort but then I'd be less cupped in the seat and more likely to slip forward. OK, decison time. I've ordered the Nazca comfort seat which is more cupped on the seat bottom (I hope). This is glass fibre only. I think it comes with the fixing hardware, if not I can re-use the brackets etc on the existing seat. The seat pad for it is 85 euros so I shall attempt to use the Nazca Sport pad I have.

Looking forward to trying it out, so much for "n-1" !! :lol:
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Good luck with the new seat.