Can you recommend all steel 700c disc brake big clearance frame?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pedals2slowly

Can you recommend all steel 700c disc brake big clearance frame?

Post by pedals2slowly »

I have multiple bikes, I've been touring for 45 years, I've been off-road in over 40 countries, I know what I want.
My 'rough stuff' bike has rigid/harsh carbon (disc) front forks, whereas my Roberts tandem and Gary Fisher MTB have comfy steel (disc) forks.
I'm looking at a Shand Stoater to replace it. I can't find anything else that meets my spec:
MUST HAVE - 'Off the peg', Steel frame and forks, Cable discs, 700C, Rack and mudguard bosses, quality tubing (not heavy)
PREFERABLE - clearance for up to 50 mm preferably but maybe less, colour (not black), quick release, not through-axle
Any recommendations anyone?
ElCani

Re: Can you recommend all steel 700c disc brake big clearance frame?

Post by ElCani »

Surly Straggler? Probably not ‘light’ though.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Take a look at the new Alpkit Santiago steel bike, that meets your criteria I think, albeit you'd have to go 650b to get really big tyre clearance.

Cotic Roadrat with the previous steel fork if they can still supply, but again 650 to get really big clearance.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Salsa vaya
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think that you have to go back to 2015 for the last steel fork on the Vaya.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Surly Disc Trucker or Spa Wayfarer (frame - https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s143p3873/SPA-CYCLES-Wayfarer-Frameset / standard build - https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p3866/SPA-CYCLES-Wayfarer).

I think the tyre clearances on the two frames are fairly similar, and as per the thread below the Wayfarer will certainly take 47mm tyres:

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=123787&hilit=aubisque&start=75#p1285746

Edit - Both the Disc Trucker and Wayfarer are quite different geometries compared with the Stoater. If when you say that the Stoater meets your spec, you are particularly including the geometry, then I doubt the Disc Trucker or Wayfarer would be what you are after. Personally I would be put off by the shorter front centre measurement of the Stoater, which would result in toe overlap in my size with mudguards. However Shand also offer the option of custom geometry/sizing as an upgrade.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Easier to get what you want in 26inch wheel frame. My touring bike is a Thorn Raven Tour. It has the all steel construction and great tyre clearance but it has V-brakes which work with special pads on tungsten impregnated rims. I've four bikes with hydraulic discs and they're better. Never used mechanical discs. My bike has a Roholoff hub which I really like but you can get ones without that.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

do you want 50mm tyres with or without mudguards? There is quite a big difference. Also the frame size makes a difference too; unless the frame is above a certain size a design that accepts fat tyres on 700C wheels is going to be heavily compromised.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Genesis Vagabond:- https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/vagabond
It's a leettle lardy though at 12.5kg but will handle anything you throw at it,very stable on and off road and with 2inch slicks rides very comfortably :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

Gearoidmuar wrote:Easier to get what you want in 26inch wheel frame. My touring bike is a Thorn Raven Tour. It has the all steel construction and great tyre clearance but it has V-brakes which work with special pads on tungsten impregnated rims. I've four bikes with hydraulic discs and they're better. Never used mechanical discs. My bike has a Roholoff hub which I really like but you can get ones without that.

Lets not get into the hydraulic v cable debate, there are pros and cons, I have both. This bike will have cable operated ones
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

So do any of the suggestions so far resonate?
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

Brucey wrote:do you want 50mm tyres with or without mudguards? There is quite a big difference. Also the frame size makes a difference too; unless the frame is above a certain size a design that accepts fat tyres on 700C wheels is going to be heavily compromised.

cheers

Ideally ability to take mudguards but everything in life is a compromise (That's why I've got so many bikes)
I'm big enough for 700's :-)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

Bonefishblues wrote:So do any of the suggestions so far resonate?

yes, thanks everybody for contributions so far.

The list seems to be growing day by day.
Main issue seems to be getting frame weights out of manufacturers and a proper understanding of what the tyre clearances are.

Is it modern insurance claim risk aversion that makes manufacturers build such beefy frames?
I've off road toured on good old flexi 531 'racing frames with no issues, the only frame breaks were a Dawes Galaxy and a Claud Butler.

I strongly suspect the available frame colour will be the deciding factor :lol:

More ideas welcome
PH

Post by PH »

SOMA Wolverine might be worth a look, I think they claim 45mm tyres and guards. No experience, though I had a good look at one when looking for a Rohloff frame a year ago.
I'm trying to get my head round the idea that you can tell the difference between fork materials with a 50mm tyre, I certainly can't, I have straight bladed aluminium forks on a cheap hybrid, with 32mm tyre it's jarring, with a 45 it's fine...
Last edited by PH on 26 Feb 2019, 5:30pm, edited 1 time in total.