Fatbergs. [ Enjoy your dinner :) ]

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
colin54

Re: Fatbergs. [ Enjoy your dinner :) ]

Post by colin54 »

I was watching a programme about the Leeds-Liverpool canal with Tony Robinson walking from Liverpool

to Parbold.Liverpool used to export it's ' night soil ' by barge for the West Lancs farmers to spread on the

fields.There was a picture of the sewage being hand barrowed off next to the 'Ring o Bells' pub.

Strong stomachs, the chances of a nasty accident looked fairly high.

Respect to people who are in that line of work .
Nu-Fogey
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seesm like last chance this week to see the FATBERG at the Museum of London until July 1st

seems like it is getting more grotesque

"The lump of congealed fat, oil and wet wipes has begun to "sweat" and change colour - and flies have hatched in it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-44615693

free entry

pick up a momento
Attachments
fatberg.JPG
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Perfectly disgusting, a huge fatberg has been found in Sidmouth Devon reports the Grauniad
How did it migrate from London? :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Perfectly disgusting, a huge fatberg has been found in Sidmouth Devon reports the Grauniad

They are Sentient.....and use Google Maps
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Perfectly disgusting, a huge fatberg has been found in Sidmouth Devon reports the Grauniad

you found the pics too frightneing?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-devon-46795016/the-210ft-fatberg-lurking-in-sidmouth-sewer

cadriff has one also

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-44086067/what-is-in-a-fatberg-aberystwyth-scientists-found-out
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Good for a bump. :twisted:

I saw this headline in the dear old Grauniad just now, and was completely taken in at first:
You see, I thought at first it meant, first people to be fined for recklessly flushing wet-wipes down the loo. But that's not what the article is about, at all, at all.

But now: wouldn't it be a Great Idea if people really were penalised for flushing down these wretched things? How? I can think of plenty of toilet-related 'punishments' that could be inflicted, but most of them are of the 'schoolboy-bullying' genre and not really appropriate in our "kind, compassionate" society. ("HAR HAR!")

So what then?

As far as I know, we have no wet-wipes in our household, unless there are a few tucked away in the medicine cabinet which I don't know about, and which never see the light of day. But then we have no occasion for them.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

How is it that in much of Central and South America, where even toilet paper cannot be flushed down the toilets but instead put in bins, that the local population, and Brits when on our holidays, manage to refrain from flushing the incorrect items down the toilet but we fail to manage it at home?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:Good for a bump. :twisted:

I saw this headline in the dear old Grauniad just now, and was completely taken in at first:
You see, I thought at first it meant, first people to be fined for recklessly flushing wet-wipes down the loo. But that's not what the article is about, at all, at all.

But now: wouldn't it be a Great Idea if people really were penalised for flushing down these wretched things? How? I can think of plenty of toilet-related 'punishments' that could be inflicted, but most of them are of the 'schoolboy-bullying' genre and not really appropriate in our "kind, compassionate" society. ("HAR HAR!")

So what then?

As far as I know, we have no wet-wipes in our household, unless there are a few tucked away in the medicine cabinet which I don't know about, and which never see the light of day. But then we have no occasion for them.

but how would it operate? a small camera in the loo pan ( there fore looking up at your backside :shock: ). I suppose would create some jobs for lots of people staring at loos all the day until some AI can do it? :wink:
botty

Post by botty »

Grill over the sewerage outflow from your house should do it. Suitable items would break up and flow through the grill. Unsuitable items will be trapped on YOUR premises and resulting fatberg becomes your responsibility to clear. Simple.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Or abandon sewerage, give every household a septic tank. That'll learn 'em to flush sensibly! (Speaking as a septic-tank owner...)

Might not be practical in high-density residential, though....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so it seems that London has out done other places with their fatbergs by a massive concrete berg. WHy on earth do people dump ocncrete down the sewers?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47976904

I hope they catch the culprits and give them some concrete shoes