Can you recommend all steel 700c disc brake big clearance frame?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bonefishblues

Re: Can you recommend all steel 700c disc brake big clearance frame?

Post by Bonefishblues »

ElCani wrote:Really? I don’t see it (viewing on a mobile).

My post at 9.04 refers.
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

Oh right, yes, I was agreeing with you but just adding that while it’s a good philosophy, I personally would have used an image of a bike with a cut steerer, because it looks better. Not a particular amazing insight, but there you go :D .

So, OP, which bikes/frames are at the top of your list?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

ElCani wrote:Oh right, yes, I was agreeing with you but just adding that while it’s a good philosophy, I personally would have used an image of a bike with a cut steerer, because it looks better. Not a particular amazing insight, but there you go :D .

Ah, mists clearing :D
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

ElCani wrote:Really? I don’t see it (viewing on a mobile).

Oi! don't hijack the topic please
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

ElCani wrote:Oh right, yes, I was agreeing with you but just adding that while it’s a good philosophy, I personally would have used an image of a bike with a cut steerer, because it looks better. Not a particular amazing insight, but there you go :D .

Well at the moment the Shand Stoater seems to give me the light-weight, the colour choice and the tyre clearance, OK it's probably the most expensive but i can't really see any proper competition
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

You are in essence going full custom prices with the Stoater, so lots more options open up.
pwa

Post by pwa »

pedals2slowly wrote:
Bizarre that Spa even show that stack of spacers - usually the sign of a beginner cyclist, however the trade seems to be full of people who have little knowledge and experience.

Spa are a relatively small outfit that does well to have tester bikes available in all sizes, so I suppose they don't like the idea of cutting down a steerer without knowing the height a customer may want it. But it does look crap that way. I bought a titanium frame with carbon forks off them a few years back and it came that way, but it took me no time to work out how long the steerer needed to be and cut it to size. Then it just looked like any other steerer, a couple of spacers under the stem and a very slim one above.

But it sounds like you don't need or want a tourer for taking four panniers, which is your choice of course. Hope you get something that ticks all the boxes.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IMHO

'all steel' + 'disc brakes' = relatively heavy/stiff fork

i.e. the fork may be capable of taking a front load whether it has the eyes to mount a carrier or not.

With rim brakes and a threaded 1" steerer, a fork that weighs ~700-750g is quite a realistic expectation, and probably it will ride well too. I don't think you can easily buy a steel disc fork (with a 1-1/8" steerer of course) which weighs much less than 1kg. Most are between 1200 and 1400g IIRC, and ride like it too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

pedals2slowly wrote:... I'm looking at a Shand Stoater to replace it. I can't find anything else that meets my spec...

I would say that if you are considering it you should certainly take a trip to Livingston (although there isn't much else to recommend it as a destination). I have never looked back since I got mine, and it's been by far the best value bike I've ever had.

Edited to add: that the forks are by far the most comfortable and compliant ones that I have ever ridden. Lots gets said about how disc brake forks are heavy, stiff, and not very compliant, but this is certainly not true of the ones on the Stoater. In contrast, the forks on my rim braked Thorn Raven certainly are heavy, stiff, and not very compliant, I'm not trying to suggest that it is a fair comparison because the Stoater was rather more expensive, but don't believe all of the rubbish that gets written on the internet. Get yourself a test ride an decide for yourself.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The Stoater has through axles,the OP said he didn't want those.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

Given that the bikes are individually hand made, surely that would just be a matter of having a chat with Steven and stating ones preferences...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Wanlock Dod wrote:Given that the bikes are individually hand made, surely that would just be a matter of having a chat with Steven and stating ones preferences...

Possibly,I'm just going off the info on his website.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

reohn2 wrote:The Stoater has through axles,the OP said he didn't want those.

Life is full or compromises, I've given up having custom built frames because whatever you do there will ALWAYS be something not quite right with it ( Chas Roberts got quite upset when I told him that) unless you have the same frame built over and over again, hence I go for off the peg and accept the compromise. But if I go Stoater I might ask the question.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Just musing, and I know you want steel, but you can bespoke/tweak the geo on the Alpkit Sonder Camino Ti for about the same £ as you'd be spending on the Shand.
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

Bonefishblues wrote:Just musing, and I know you want steel, but you can bespoke/tweak the geo on the Alpkit Sonder Camino Ti for about the same £ as you'd be spending on the Shand.

It's a thought, I do like Titanium but it would be wrong to put a cromalloy fork on that wouldn't it?.
Different sort of bike really, I'm thinking workhorse rather than eventer!