Mudflaps.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Patrickpioneer

Re: Mudflaps.

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Yoga mats cut up work well and its all I use on all my bikes.
Namaste
Pat
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

a bit late but

check out the mudflaps on the white bike; at one time you were not allowed on a winter club run unless you had these fitted, according to one of my chums who rode for them. He also told me that one of the club members would supply suitable mudflaps at cost ( a couple of quid I think) including plastic nuts and bolts with which to attach them. In that neck of the woods you could be 95% certain which club an otherwise anonymous rider rode for just by looking at their mudflaps!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Brucey wrote:a bit late but

check out the mudflaps on the white bike; at one time you were not allowed on a winter club run unless you had these fitted, according to one of my chums who rode for them. He also told me that one of the club members would supply suitable mudflaps at cost ( a couple of quid I think) including plastic nuts and bolts with which to attach them. In that neck of the woods you could be 95% certain which club an otherwise anonymous rider rode for just by looking at their mudflaps!

cheers

The flaps in the photo look like RAW Mudflaps, lightweight, tough and available in a variety of colours and designs. I bought some last year on a friend's recommendation; so far I've found them useless for keeping the spray off, but that's probably because they're still sitting in a drawer waiting to be fitted. :oops:
freiston

Post by freiston »

An even later reply but this thread caught my eye after being referenced recently.

I made a mistake in my earlier post - I transposed a couple of digits in the patent number (though in mitigation, I might have copied and pasted it with the transposition). Correct number is "4625983".

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis ... 625983.pdf

freiston wrote: 14 Nov 2015, 11:50am
Brucey wrote:if I said 'stortford style' would this be well known to one and all?

cheers
No - not even after a few minutes 'research'.

I found this: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f ... rd#p498471
and I found a US patent (No. 4,625,938; Dec.2, 1986) for a mudflap material invented by Ronald G. Tye of Bishop's Stortford.

Oh go on! Please elaborate :)
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)