brake pad installation - kool stop cross pad

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mikearead

brake pad installation - kool stop cross pad

Post by mikearead »

Hi

Looking to install some new threaded brake pads on my front wheel and have bought the Kool Stop Cross Pad.

I can't find specific install instructions and am confused about orientation. The link below shows what my pads look like.

http://www.koolstop.com/images/CXT.jpg

My understanding is that the closed end goes at the front with the open end (with screw fixer at the back). If I install this way then the pad marked L (left) when placed on the left side of the bike (rider's left) will not have the L and arrow marking visible i.e. it will be underneath. All instructions I've found show the markings visible from looking down from above.

IMG_20190228_122921744.jpg

Placing them this way also seems to fit with the slight curve on the pads matching the rim. Just seems odd that the markings are not visible.

Also the pads whilst having the two spaces don't have the corresponding (concave/convex) washers just the end washer. Should I just install as is or take the washers off the old ones. I thought you need both to get the toe-in.

Thanks
Mike
Hemipode

Re: brake pad installation - kool stop cross pad

Post by Hemipode »

The closed ends MUST be at the front otherwise the inserts can slide out of the holders under braking.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

orientation as per your photo is correct.

Swivel seating washers are not present in all brake blocks and may vary in design. In some cases the stud can swivel in the holder and in this case only one (usually concave) washer against the holder is required. IIRC yours are probably like this, I think.

you can see the curvy washer/shoe seating here

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mikearead

Post by mikearead »

Thanks.

They are swivel seating so all looks OK. Just seems strange that the writing ends up underneath.

Mike
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Just seems strange that the writing ends up underneath.

In the image linked to the writing is on the braking material, which could be inserted either way into the shoe. On some blocks the material is tapered and should only fit in one direction
Either that or they're right-hand drive blocks and would be fine in the US :lol:
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
mikearead

Post by mikearead »

Thanks, the image linked is from the Kool Stop site and my blocks match their image. So all looks consistent. They have instructions for some of their blocks and the writing is visible from the top in those so that's where the consistency ends!

Mike