Pedals suitable for barefoot shoes ( ultra-thin soles )

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Pedals suitable for barefoot shoes ( ultra-thin soles )

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Question - how important is whole foot support?
Dumped some flats on this morning and rode to the hospital... not very far or fast, but with only the front of my foot supported... what will complain as au extend the ride?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

It's a question of what level of risk you find acceptable.
In flats you could pedal 10k miles without anything going wrong.
Or on your next ride you could have an accident where your foot slips off the pedal.
I personally haven't heard of it happening to anyone.
But there enough stories of it happening that it probably has.
Also I've ridden my bent trike with a very very worn set of SPD's.
It was a bit disconcerting when my foot was unclipped due to a bump.
If I was going to be doing more than just knocking around in the local park then I'd probably some form of heel support as a minimum.

Then again I don't wear a helmet on my bent trike .......... :lol:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I’ll be doing straps etc, it’s a question of support all the way back to the heel that I’m looking at (as in all along the sole of the foot, not something to support the heel from falling)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Looking around there does seem to be general support for more support...

Wonder if a completely flat pedal would work (flat and straps). Might get some SPD plate adaptors, they look easy to built onto:
9969A261-1458-4B65-8E4D-A61DFB1AD70D.jpeg
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Got some pyros coming in the post...
Been playing with various ideas, worst case they’ll go back on eBay...

I suspect they’ll be very good for me, slight concerns:

- theft
- expect depth of toebox
- potential wear at rear of shoe
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Got some pyros coming in the post...
Been playing with various ideas, worst case they’ll go back on eBay...

I suspect they’ll be very good for me, slight concerns:

- theft
- expect depth of toebox
- potential wear at rear of shoe

You went for it Bob - Great - Best of luck with this. Did you use that obscure supplier we posted up? Let us know how it goes.. (photos ?? :-) )
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Found a pair on ebay.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Well, they've arrived, and the sole is really stiff. I'll pop some callipers on it when I get to the garage.

A couple of the bolts are a fraction too long (they are slightly proud of the footbed, not an issue for their design use, but an issue for me).
The sole is smooth, and potentially slippery, so we'll see how all the bits and bobs hold my feet.
Slight surprise the little 'angle bracket' at the rear is actually metal, not plastic like all the rest of the components.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

A guy I know buys large platform flats, fills them in and glues carpet to them to use with thin shoes. Works well for him.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Well, they've arrived, and the sole is really stiff. I'll pop some callipers on it when I get to the garage.

A couple of the bolts are a fraction too long (they are slightly proud of the footbed, not an issue for their design use, but an issue for me).
The sole is smooth, and potentially slippery, so we'll see how all the bits and bobs hold my feet.
Slight surprise the little 'angle bracket' at the rear is actually metal, not plastic like all the rest of the components.

Hope this works out Bob...they looked the best of the options. It sounds like they need some fettling to set them up for you though....
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Had a few rides on them, and I'm pretty happy overall.

I can't fathom how they are meant to be a benefit in a transition, they take far too long to get into and do up - I'd just get shoes with a boa lace system...

However, that's not my requirement.

The 'sole' is rigid plastic, several mm thick, with a variety of threaded inserts and 'holes with hexagonal tops' for the different fittings. The built in fittings use 'holes with hexagonal tops', which have a nut sat in the hexagonal section, and a bolt is then tightened from beneath:
- The (plastic) toeclip has one of these
- The strap has one of these, well back on the foot so that the strap lies reasonably flat as it comes around the foot and tightens over the laces.
- The (plastic) heel'clip' has one - it is a one sided catch, very low.
- The 'side clip' is a metal angle bracket, also very low.

The threaded inserts are there for the various designs of cleats - but there is no adjustability in terms of the bolt position on the footplate. You can move the toe clip and heel clip fore and aft a bit to give some 'wiggle room', but there is no option to rotate the cleats. I use SPD, and they have lateral adjustment built in, but again, no rotational flexibility.
I used to have my cleats at a bit of an angle, but I haven't noticed any issue with them as they are yet (not doing nearly as much riding of course).

The top of the sole is basically smooth, and nicely contoured - The bolts are mostly well recessed (I've added a couple of washers for the bolts that were just proud of their semi-captive nut. There is also a domed label, running a good proportion of the width of the sole, recessed into the sole basically under the strap. I was half expecting to need to cover the sole with an inner tube or similar - but I haven't noticed the label in use, and haven't seen any propensity for my shoes to slip either.

When pedalling they provide excellent support to the whole foot, my foot does move around a little inside my shoe, and I can therefore feel the heel clip - which on any normal shoe would only be contacting the sole - slightly... I don't think this is going to be a major issue, it's just a bit unusual (feels like there is something completely non painful in my shoe, I am just aware of it rather than anything else).

They are long enough that they can hit the ground from the trike when I am walking it around, so I have used a couple of silicon bands (from a cadence sensor), one round each crank. I just hook the metal brake to the crank with those and they stay nicely in line with the cranks, easy to move the trike around without worrying about them hitting the floor (or anything else).
I also do the straps up when leaving them on the trike.

Putting my feet in them, or taking them out, is easier than a full shoe change, but it does take some doing.
However, I'm going between two pairs of congenitally laced shoes - not the same situation as a tri/du/athlete would be in.

I'm pretty happy with them, and another pair have just appeared on eBay as well... They are ~£120 new, and appear to be £90-100 second hand (not that that happens very often).

I think I'll decorate the bottom of them with tape, and an accessible icon sticker... (since I present that face to oncoming traffic, it seems reasonably sane to add reflectives)
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Had a few rides on them, and I'm pretty happy overall.

I can't fathom how they are meant to be a benefit in a transition, they take far too long to get into and do up - I'd just get shoes with a boa lace system...

However, that's not my requirement.

The 'sole' is rigid plastic, several mm thick, with a variety of threaded inserts and 'holes with hexagonal tops' for the different fittings. The built in fittings use 'holes with hexagonal tops', which have a nut sat in the hexagonal section, and a bolt is then tightened from beneath:
- The (plastic) toeclip has one of these
- The strap has one of these, well back on the foot so that the strap lies reasonably flat as it comes around the foot and tightens over the laces.
- The (plastic) heel'clip' has one - it is a one sided catch, very low.
- The 'side clip' is a metal angle bracket, also very low.

The threaded inserts are there for the various designs of cleats - but there is no adjustability in terms of the bolt position on the footplate. You can move the toe clip and heel clip fore and aft a bit to give some 'wiggle room', but there is no option to rotate the cleats. I use SPD, and they have lateral adjustment built in, but again, no rotational flexibility.
I used to have my cleats at a bit of an angle, but I haven't noticed any issue with them as they are yet (not doing nearly as much riding of course).

The top of the sole is basically smooth, and nicely contoured - The bolts are mostly well recessed (I've added a couple of washers for the bolts that were just proud of their semi-captive nut. There is also a domed label, running a good proportion of the width of the sole, recessed into the sole basically under the strap. I was half expecting to need to cover the sole with an inner tube or similar - but I haven't noticed the label in use, and haven't seen any propensity for my shoes to slip either.

When pedalling they provide excellent support to the whole foot, my foot does move around a little inside my shoe, and I can therefore feel the heel clip - which on any normal shoe would only be contacting the sole - slightly... I don't think this is going to be a major issue, it's just a bit unusual (feels like there is something completely non painful in my shoe, I am just aware of it rather than anything else).

They are long enough that they can hit the ground from the trike when I am walking it around, so I have used a couple of silicon bands (from a cadence sensor), one round each crank. I just hook the metal brake to the crank with those and they stay nicely in line with the cranks, easy to move the trike around without worrying about them hitting the floor (or anything else).
I also do the straps up when leaving them on the trike.

Putting my feet in them, or taking them out, is easier than a full shoe change, but it does take some doing.
However, I'm going between two pairs of congenitally laced shoes - not the same situation as a tri/du/athlete would be in.

I'm pretty happy with them, and another pair have just appeared on eBay as well... They are ~£120 new, and appear to be £90-100 second hand (not that that happens very often).

I think I'll decorate the bottom of them with tape, and an accessible icon sticker... (since I present that face to oncoming traffic, it seems reasonably sane to add reflectives)

Sounds excellent !!! Makes you wonder whether other people could benefit from something like this ... :-)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Possibly a few - but normal shoes on normal flats (potentially with toe clips) give most people enough comfort and power.
Because I cannot walk in shoes I have to change shoes four times to go to the shops... that’s not particularly helpful. With these I can keep my shoes on, and I just have to set and velcro up. Given the faff of putting walking poles away etc, it’s a (relatively) minor inconvenience.

I used to just walk round shops in my cycling shoes, not great for long walks, but adequate for shopping etc. (Again, riding a ‘bent means I really want to be clipped in).