Bar end shifter compatibility please.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Trikeyohreilly

Bar end shifter compatibility please.

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Hi.

I run a nine speed set up and don't feel the need to change that. I need new bar end shifters which seem to have gone up in price by 50% as I'm sure I brought my last pair for £40. In some cases the 10, even 11 speed versions are cheaper than the 9 speeds.

I think I am right in thinking I can run 10 or 11 speed bar ends as I run both sides always in friction only mode, never in index.

Am I right please?
Brucey

Re: Bar end shifter compatibility please.

Post by Brucey »

provided the shifters have a 'friction mode' there is no reason why you cannot use a different shifter to run a shimano 9s setup; the only restriction would be if the total cable pull is not compatible; this is unlikely to occur if the RD/cassette are shimano 9s, the total cable pull isn't huge.

BTW there are other solutions;

a) if you already have a set of BE shifters, it is often possible to graft a DT lever to the BE mount. Or,

b) use a LH BE lever for the RD. if you are using friction mode. (BITD if you bought 'a pair' of sun tour BE shifters, they were identical rather than mirror image of one another).

The Sun Race LH BE shifter (less than £30) has a micro-ratchet in it; this pulls about 1.45mm cable per click, which means that with a RD attached each downshift is accomplished in two clicks. This is almost exact for shifts that use 2.9mm +/- 0.1mm cable pull eg

shimano 7s
shimano 8s
shimano 4700 10s
shimano 10s using an 11s RD
campag 10s

but for shimano 9s ideally a small nudge forwards will be required to trim the RD after each downshift.

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 27 Feb 2019, 10:37am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Thank you.

It is all Shimano at the back but is quite a large cassette (36-12). Indeed I could use 8 speed I think? Just found an even cheaper set in 8 speed. £48.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Sun race LH shifter (micro-ratchet only)

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifters/sunrace-r90-bar-end-shifter-friction-left-hand/

Sun race 9s RH shifter

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifters/sunrace-r90-9-spd-bar-end-shifter-right-hand/

this shifter is 9s indexed only, and will work with a shimano 9s RD/cassette.

Shimano SL-6480 are suitable for your needs because the RH lever has a friction mode as well as 8s indexing.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Thanks so much Brucey. All sorted.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
eddiewalkling wrote:Thank you.

It is all Shimano at the back but is quite a large cassette (36-12). Indeed I could use 8 speed I think? Just found an even cheaper set in 8 speed. £48.

Don't get caught out! shimano 8S is only 8 speed if it says so on the lever!
I made that mistake once, lucky for me I only needed the mounting boss, some are sold as 8S but are 7S.
Your on nine so you will be fine, I mean I have no idea what 9 is ok :)

Yes 7 will work for 8 but bottom IIRC has to rely on the friction of the lever gubbins....................works but not ideal if you want the think to stay in first on a climb....

I am talking indexing only all above.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

My Shimano 10s barends are index only for the rear derailleur.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Nearly brought expensive 11 speed as they were black (I'm not overly particular but it so would have matched the otherwise nearly complete trike) bit they were index only on the rear shifter.

Thanks to Brucey I went for the Shimano SL-6480, much cheaper and now they have arrived, even though the build is not complete, I can see they are the same as on another trike I have. They work brilliantly on that 9 speed set up (friction only) so feel confident.

Why would you run them indexed? I guess due to distance between hands and the shifters?

Either way. Bar ends are amazing. Love them.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Having finished my LEJOG i carefully removed the bar end shifter from my bike .... and threw it into the sea !!!
Why would anyone ever want to use these bloody stupid things !!
I have learnt my lesson ...
And breath , rant over ... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

landsurfer wrote:Having finished my LEJOG i carefully removed the bar end shifter from my bike .... and threw it into the sea !!!
Why would anyone ever want to use these bloody stupid things !!

They work quite well for parking brakes!

Before combined units they did offer an alternative to D/T levers that kept your hands closer to the bars. TBH, the few times I used them (on borrowed/customer bikes) I found them a PITA.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have no problem using them 8)

Even when off road :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

fitted to Olive, s/h 8 sp levers, running either 7/ 9/10 speed shimano cassette, with Campag Mechs, in friction mode. Loves 'em to bits, I does.