The Dutch Experience

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Cyril Haearn

Re: The Dutch Experience

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I saw that too, may one complain to the Readers Editor about the writing style? :?
'technological developments push the standard push-bike into the anals of history' :(

Minus One unfortunately for more e-bikes, they are used by many who could use ordinary cycles, speeds increase, more danger

Tried to read the article again: I think more money is being spent on e-bikes, but in units real bikes are probably still in the majority sold, one earnestly hopes so
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Minus One unfortunately for more e-bikes, they are used by many who could use ordinary cycles, speeds increase, more danger

Speeds increase with fitness. Perhaps speed limited bicycles or mandatory levels of unfitness are required?

The fasted bikes I've seen on the road have all been normally aspirated ridden by lycra clad warriors in club colours.
Do clubs promote competitiveness? I suspect they do and I personally don't think the roads are the right place for that sort of behaviour. ;)
PH

Post by PH »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Minus One unfortunately for more e-bikes, they are used by many who could use ordinary cycles, speeds increase, more danger

They're also used by those who could use cars...
As soon as you start looking at cycling as a means of transport rather than some sort of leisure activity any argument over assistance fails. I cycle for leisure and transport, the transport is good base mileage which improves the leisure cycling. That is the main reason I don't have an electric bike, I have no doubt if I was only looking at transport it's what I'd choose. I think the article has it right, that assisted bikes will become the default choice and some people will have reasons not to chose them.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Hope e-bikes do not become the norm, that would be something like the End of Cycling for me. High sales of new machines by value (not units!) is one thing, e-bikes as a majority of cycles in use is quite another, it is a long way off
Retiring soon, plan to cycle a lot, slowly, (but not 'travel' much), riding slowly, on a 'real bike'*, maybe I shall get an e-trike when I am 89

* anyone object to this term? Alternative suggestions?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Hope e-bikes do not become the norm, that would be something like the End of Cycling for me. High sales of new machines by value (not units!) is one thing, e-bikes as a majority of cycles in use is quite another, it is a long way off
Retiring soon, plan to cycle a lot, slowly, (but not 'travel' much), riding slowly, on a 'real bike'*, maybe I shall get an e-trike when I am 89

* anyone object to this term? Alternative suggestions?

End of Cycling - but not the End of Melodramatics obviously...

I have 3 bikes currently, two normal and one converted to be an e-bike. For a lot of stuff I use the normal bikes, for commuting the ebike, if I need to quickly nip to B&Q (12 miles round trip) I'd use the ebike.

PH has it right, a bicycle is simply transport. Pick the one that suits your needs.
As for e-bikes being a majority, I don't know if they'll be a majority but there have been times when I've passed or been passed by several without seeing a normal bike at all.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have a normal bike with a retro fit motor. I use it for gentle leisure days out, for going from A to B for meetings, choir practices, shopping. And for camping touring. I do not seek speed. I often switch the motor off.

Fact: without non human support I would no longer be able to cycle to any degree. Hills would be completely out.
John