Losing some weight?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
RodT

Losing some weight?

Post by RodT »

I've had my Cinelli Hobootleg for nearly ten years, we've done a lot of miles together and I'm very fond of it. It'll go anywhere. It's an all-day kind of bike. But it was a heavy beast to start with, weighing in at 12.6 kg. You can imagine what that feels like when loaded with camping or touring gear.
Well, the bike hasn't got any lighter and I haven't got any younger, so I was wondering about a lighter replacement. I'd like to keep the same sort of specs. The Cinelli's gearing suits me. It's 26/36/48 on the front and 9-speed 34/11 on the back. Front mech's Shimano Sora, rear is Deore. It's got bar-end shifters, which I like, and Tektro canti brakes, which do the job. It came with Vittoria Randonneur 700x38 tyres, and I replaced them with Schwalbe Marathons when they wore out. It's got Tubus racks and of course a big, heavy, practically indestructible Columbus Cromor frame.

So I've been looking at bikes like Temple Cycles' Adventure Tourer, which is a similar type of machine but over a kilo lighter. There are plenty of others to choose from, so I'd been grateful for any suggestions.

I'd also welcome opinions on the weight question. Ok, so the whole bike is over a kilo lighter than my Cinelli. But that's only until you start loading it up. Depending on what you load it with, that weight loss can soon be negated. In my case, the rider hasn't got much weight to lose, so it has to come off the bike or the gear or both. How important is the weight of a bike anyway? I haven't ridden a real lightweight for years, so I'm not in a position to judge. I just know my bike is heavy and seems to be getting heavier. Any thoughts?
mnichols

Re: Losing some weight?

Post by mnichols »

Here's a good article on bike weight (imo)

http://www.peterverdone.com/the-mcnamara-fallacy-and-bikes/
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

If you like the Cinelli you can trim the weight of that a bit for reasonable cost. EG the stem, seatpost, saddle and even handlebars on OTP bikes are often quite weighty - I shaved best bit of a kilo off my Focus by upgrading those bits. I'm sure if you worked around the bike, upgrading and replacing stuff you could lose a couple of KG without a lot of expense. It might not sound much but just replacing the fixing bolts with Ti can be worth up to 50g, It's one way of keeping the bike you like and not having to start from scratch.

OTOH, i'm all for new bikes :D my OTP Focus never saw the road - I replaced just about everything from the start which stripped almost 3kg off the stock weight - it now weighs in at 10.5kg including disc brakes and a hub dynamo!

Is it important? Some on here claim not but let's face it, the lighter the lump you are propelling, the less energy required, particularly when climbing. If your kit weighs for eg 15kg a 10kg bike is 25kg all up, a 15kg bike will be 30kg - work it out for yourself. So providing you aren't compromising the function of the machine, lighter is always better.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

RodT wrote:I've had my Cinelli Hobootleg for nearly ten years, we've done a lot of miles together and I'm very fond of it. It'll go anywhere. It's an all-day kind of bike. But it was a heavy beast to start with, weighing in at 12.6 kg. You can imagine what that feels like when loaded with camping or touring gear.
Well, the bike hasn't got any lighter and I haven't got any younger, so I was wondering about a lighter replacement. I'd like to keep the same sort of specs. The Cinelli's gearing suits me. It's 26/36/48 on the front and 9-speed 34/11 on the back. Front mech's Shimano Sora, rear is Deore. It's got bar-end shifters, which I like, and Tektro canti brakes, which do the job. It came with Vittoria Randonneur 700x38 tyres, and I replaced them with Schwalbe Marathons when they wore out. It's got Tubus racks and of course a big, heavy, practically indestructible Columbus Cromor frame.

So I've been looking at bikes like Temple Cycles' Adventure Tourer, which is a similar type of machine but over a kilo lighter. There are plenty of others to choose from, so I'd been grateful for any suggestions.

I'd also welcome opinions on the weight question. Ok, so the whole bike is over a kilo lighter than my Cinelli. But that's only until you start loading it up. Depending on what you load it with, that weight loss can soon be negated. In my case, the rider hasn't got much weight to lose, so it has to come off the bike or the gear or both. How important is the weight of a bike anyway? I haven't ridden a real lightweight for years, so I'm not in a position to judge. I just know my bike is heavy and seems to be getting heavier. Any thoughts?

It's funny, bikes like your Hobootleg have really come back into fashion. Except I presume yours does not have disc brakes? A steel frame with plenty of clearance, touring wheels and heavy tyres, and two Tubus rack is gonna weigh quite a bit. Am I right in thinking it is an older version of this? http://cinelli.it/en/prodotti/hobootleg-en/

If you want to make it more lively for day rides. you could remove the front rack, get a lighter pair of wheels and fit lighter tyres like Schwable Durano 32mm instead of the much heavier and sluggish Marathons.

Is the Temple Cycles Adventure Tourer really 1kg lighter? This? https://www.templecycles.co.uk/products/adventure-tour Is that with or without the mudguards and racks? Because these add about a kg. And is it with the similar wheels and tyres? I doubt if the frame is much lighter than the Cinelli. But it is more of a light touring bike rather than something for carrying a tent and stuff. The Cinelli is more modern. The Temple is retro, especially with that quill stem.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

How about an audax style bike something light and fun to ride.
Like a genesis equalibrium, wiler Strada, roux menthe or spa audax?

Or if funds are tighter a older 531 framed bike either retro or modernised.

Cheers James
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

That bike from Temple cycles is a nice looking bike, is the weight inclusive of pedals? In terms of weight saving it's not really going to make much difference to what you have though a kilo loss is a start. Also you're very likely to be limited to 28mm tyres with long drop brakes with guards fitted, is that enough for you?

In steel frame terms significant weight savings are really difficult to attain unless you spend a significant portion of money, my 1990 Raleigh Record Sprint (23" R501 frame) was 11.1kg from the shop WITH pedals.

I bought a Roux Menthe black for my son, built using R525 with eyeletted carbon forks that can take 28mm tyres with ease under the guards, the frameset which has slightly oversized tubes is EDIT 3.3kg NOT 2.7!!. I just reckoned up with a Tiagra 4700 triple groupset (with its inordinately heavy chainset) + decent 32 spoke wheels, 28mm tyres, a 200g carbon seatpost(great for added comfort and weight saving for not much outlay, I bought Neil Pryde carbon posts for £20 each), 250g bars, 150g stem + XT SPD pedals is c.10.4kg
the Roux comes std with SORA but can be had for around £500 with guards fitted already.

And just to compare to something else for you to consider if you want to drop more weight.
2008 Specialized Sirrus Pro (hybrid frame but great for building into drop bar bikes) with chunky carbon forks, carbon seat stays which accepts 38mm tyres is circa 2.5kg (not 2kg :roll: ) for a small/medium sized frameset (incl the forks, s.post collar, steerer spacers) with similar spec kit to that above you'd be looking at circa 9.6 bike weight.

A few years ago I bought another (my first is my every day bike for the last 9 years) Specialized Globe with the carbon forks and stays they're a bit heavier than the Sirrus but again are fantastic to build into drop bar bikes and are very robust as well as great load luggers. Mine is a 3x10 Ultegra 6700+ TRP mini Vs, Open Pros/DA7700 wheels, Brooks Swift, XT pedals and with the guards, rack etc is sub 10kg in a 58.

My full carbon gravel bike Rare Sirrus carbon pro) which has guard and rack mounts, in flat bar with 32spoke wheels +28mm tyres is circa 7.8kg, call it 8.7kg with rack and guards.

Losing weight is possible but you need to find the right frame and components that still do the job for you and to save more you'll need to spend more, how much is down to each individual.

Luck losing some weight :D
Last edited by The utility cyclist on 3 Mar 2019, 3:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Post by PH »

RodT wrote:So I've been looking at bikes like Temple Cycles' Adventure Tourer, which is a similar type of machine but over a kilo lighter. There are plenty of others to choose from, so I'd been grateful for any suggestions.

It's not a make I know anything about. but assuming the comparison is like for like and accurate (Which is a pretty big assumption) I doubt much of the weight difference is in the frame. Tyres and tubes are the first easy win, closely followed by the racks. You touch on the load but don't say what that is? If it's full on camping kit then reducing that to not need the front rack is going to save more weight than any bike change.
How much difference does it make? Not really that much in terms of speed and effort, yet I much prefer to ride a bike that isn't heavily loaded.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

£42 buys instant performance gain:- https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/ ... lding-tyre fast light and very supple.
Schwalbe Marathons are a drag.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

I think really, that unless you are a performance cyclist, its all a bit of a red herring, especially when you have a trusted ol' friend that has been perfectly ok up to now. a bit like leaving the wife , just because she's put a few pounds on. None of use are getting any younger, and we tend to think that a new lighter bike! will restore our youth. IT WONT. Just replace components with lighter ones when they wear out, enjoy your bike for what it is, and don't get anal about weight saving. If it bugs you that much,then get a carbon road bike to play on, but keep ol' faithful as your 'go to' bike.
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

RodT wrote:I've had my Cinelli Hobootleg for nearly ten years, we've done a lot of miles together and I'm very fond of it...

I'd also welcome opinions on the weight question. Ok, so the whole bike is over a kilo lighter than my Cinelli. But that's only until you start loading it up. Depending on what you load it with, that weight loss can soon be negated.

You have a bike that you love, and recognise that a lighter bike wouldn't make much difference.

I would say, consider alternative uses for the cash you would spend on the new bike you are considering - for example, a rather nice touring holiday or two/three, on your existing bike - and which course of action you would get the most joy from.