Biscuits brake road bike under 2k

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
djbs10

Biscuits brake road bike under 2k

Post by djbs10 »

Hi guys
I’m looking to upgrade my current bike to a carbon and disc brake.
Max budget of 2k.
Anything recommend ?
Regards Dan

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
thelawnet

Re: Biscuits brake road bike under 2k

Post by thelawnet »

That's not much info on which to be making a 2k purchase.

What's good/bad about the current bike ? What is it ?
djbs10

Post by djbs10 »

thelawnet wrote:That's not much info on which to be making a 2k purchase.

What's good/bad about the current bike ? What is it ?

The current bike is a wilier laverda.
Nothing wrong with it I just don’t feel comfortable on it and I have had it fitted.
I just feel like trying something different and also would like to have another bike.

Regards Dan

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

What do you want to use the bike for ie. what sort of riding/speed/distance, sunny days only, or all weathers.
What is uncomfortable about your current bike ;-
Position? in which case you might like to fiddle your current bike positioning to get it better, then you can buy a new bike that you know can replicate that position. Having a bike "fitted" doesn't work for everyone.
Road vibration/harsh ride? Then someone might be able to recommend something with more compliant/comfortable forks/rear stays (or more padded shorts/track mitts!).
djbs10

Post by djbs10 »

Hi it’s mainly for getting fit. Sunny weather as I will use my turbo trainer when it’s grim. Distance wise up to 60 miles.
Speed wise just depends on distances. But I want to push myself to get better. I’m never going to compete in anything just for pleasure and fitness.
I think that I will just have to try a few bikes.
Regards Dan

pwa

Post by pwa »

Would you prefer to do 60 miles in the shortest possible time, or would you sacrifice a few minutes if it meant a less uncomfortable ride? What are your priorities on that score?

Do you use the drops a lot, or do you spend most of the time with your hands on the brake hoods?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I agree with PT1029; if you are not comfy and it is your riding position which is at fault, you need to understand that and see what works for you before you buy another bike. Stuff like what the frame is made of and what the brakes are like is almost completely unrelated to 'comfort' per se.

I would suggest that you vary the riding position on your current bike (saddles, seat pins and stems are easily changed) and see what happens. Keep detailed notes about what changes you make and how they feel. You can always revert back to some previous riding position in a few minutes if you keep such notes, so you lose nothing.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Many years ago, my father, who was a painter and decorator, had a wealthy customer who complained that his chair was too close to the fire.

I kid you not: instead of moving his seat a little he had the gable end of his house moved. You have to eliminate the obvious first.

Of course, it is possible simply to be fed up with something which you feel compelled to replace whatever the cost.
John
djbs10

Post by djbs10 »

I will need to have a play around and get mine more comfortable.

I will get another bike at some point.

I’m happy to drop a bit of time for comfort but I still want to be capable of good times. This I need to build up to.

I do get down on the drops but not all the time. I’m no racer but like to compare my times to push myself to get better.
Regards Dan

fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Oldjohnw wrote:Many years ago, my father, who was a painter and decorator, had a wealthy customer who complained that his chair was too close to the fire.

I kid you not: instead of moving his seat a little he had the gable end of his house moved. You have to eliminate the obvious first.

Of course, it is possible simply to be fed up with something which you feel compelled to replace whatever the cost.

Can someone please delete this part of the thread as Mrs.Copy is complaining her knees as getting too warm and I'm currently assessing whether to alter the fireplace and I don't want her seeing any suggestions of knocking down and extending the house. :shock: :wink:
whoof

Post by whoof »

fausto copy wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Many years ago, my father, who was a painter and decorator, had a wealthy customer who complained that his chair was too close to the fire.

Can someone please delete this part of the thread as Mrs.Copy is complaining her knees as getting too warm and I'm currently assessing whether to alter the fireplace and I don't want her seeing any suggestions of knocking down and extending the house. :shock: :wink:

If she mentions extending the house I would suggest that you say your are getting someone to provide a quite to have her knees removed.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

How about a supersix disc great bikes I have an older one and love it. 2k should get you ultegra depending on when you get it.
If you want aero I think the canyon aeroad is a great bike for the money. Likewise ulterga for that money.
Factor in some decent wheels if it comes with stock rs10 etc wheels.

Cheers James
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

djbs10 wrote:I just feel like trying something different and also would like to have another bike.

This is absolutely the correct spirit. Well done, sir!
Have we got time for another cuppa?