Coast to Coast (west to east)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ultraburner

Coast to Coast (west to east)

Post by ultraburner »

Did a search but no joy. Was just looking for pointers/advice regarding this route. Planning on traveling from Glasgow by train then home.

As I say just garnering opinions/tips.
Last edited by ultraburner on 3 Mar 2019, 7:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
gregoryoftours

Re: Coast to Coast (East to West)

Post by gregoryoftours »

East to West is very general
ultraburner

Post by ultraburner »

Apologies Whitehaven to Newcastle was the original plan although I'm happy to deviate from that. That was the reason for the post really.

I was looking for suggestions and tips on the route above.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

ultraburner wrote:Apologies Whitehaven to Newcastle was the original plan although I'm happy to deviate from that. That was the reason for the post really.

There's about half a dozen popular C2C routes. I did Morecome to Bridlington last summer. There's a cicerone book on the whitehaven route your local library might have
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

ultraburner wrote:Apologies Whitehaven to Newcastle was the original plan although I'm happy to deviate from that. That was the reason for the post really.

That’s C2C :x

Going E to W will make some of the climbs 'easier' in not as steep. Dropping into Garrigill could be fun if heavily laden and mediocre brakes. :lol:
W to E profile
W to E profile
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Ah ok, that's West to east though! I did that exact route at the start of June 2012, enjoyed it a lot. Camped at campsites, just rang ahead on the same day and was ok. If you are taking the train to Windermere like we did you can take a ride to Whitehaven over the iconic hardknott and wrynose passes (as long as you have low gears, some weight on the front preferable as if you're rear weighted you'll find it hard to keep the front wheel in the ground. I needed my mountain bike gears to get up and over with camping gear), camp at Whitehaven and set of the next day. We used the cicerone c2c guide which is useful, and also interesting (and small so it doesn't weigh much). The last stretch into Newcastle/tynemouth isn't up to much from what I remember, kind of boring flat old railway line path through trees and not much to see, but up to that point it's a lovely route, quiet roads and a fair amount of off-road sections (not rough). If you have a bit more time ending further south at Robin hood bay might be a nicer end to the route. I think we did it in a leisurely 3 days.
ultraburner

Re: Coast to Coast (west to east)

Post by ultraburner »

I've changed the title accordingly. I do know my East from West I had posted this after a couple of Bowmore's

Thanks alot for all the input. I will try to source the C2C guide quoted above.

I understand there may be some issues getting bikes on the train from Carlisle to Whitehaven right enough.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I am cycling Hadrian's Cycleway (Whitehaven to Tynemouth) in May, using campsites. None of the sites need booking in advance and all are next to, or near to, pubs. I use an electric motor and have arranged charging en route.
John
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

gregoryoftours wrote:

Ah ok, that's West to east though! I did that exact route at the start of June 2012, enjoyed it a lot. Camped at campsites, just rang ahead on the same day and was ok. If you are taking the train to Windermere like we did you can take a ride to Whitehaven over the iconic hardknott and wrynose passes (as long as you have low gears, some weight on the front preferable as if you're rear weighted you'll find it hard to keep the front wheel in the ground. I needed my mountain bike gears to get up and over with camping gear), camp at Whitehaven and set of the next day. We used the cicerone c2c guide which is useful, and also interesting (and small so it doesn't weigh much). The last stretch into Newcastle/tynemouth isn't up to much from what I remember, kind of boring flat old railway line path through trees and not much to see, but up to that point it's a lovely route, quiet roads and a fair amount of off-road sections (not rough). If you have a bit more time ending further south at Robin hood bay might be a nicer end to the route. I think we did it in a leisurely 3 days.

Robin Hood's Bay is a big deviation from Newcastle!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Oh yes, it's miles away, isn't it? I didn't realise. I'm sure I heard or read of people doing that as an alternative destination and so I assumed that it was a 'thing' but maybe they just forked down about half way or something, and re-planned half of the route.
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

Wrote up my c2c West to east here

http://www.richmay.co.uk/c2c/
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I did two day morcombe to Scarborough via lakes sales and north York Moors 200miles.

I'm going to do it again in a day - morcombe direct to Scarborough race the train. First train into morcombe and last train out...
Cheers James
RickH

Post by RickH »

Jamesh wrote:I did two day morcombe to Scarborough via lakes sales and north York Moors 200miles.

I'm going to do it again in a day - morcombe direct to Scarborough race the train. First train into morcombe and last train out...
Cheers James

At the risk of being pedantic, I presume you mean Morecambe (near Lancaster) rather than the tiny hamlet of Morcombe in Gloucestershire? (or Morcombe Plantation in Devon) :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Sorry yes Morcombe in Lancashire!

Cheers James