Caledonian cycleway

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
guzzimag

Caledonian cycleway

Post by guzzimag »

Morning all. I'm off to pedal the Caledonian Cycleway in May, and it's the age old question: which bike do I take. The Sustrans maps are a bit useless in terms of terrain description - are there any particularly muddy/rocky sections?

I have a choice of a slick tyred mtb, 25mm tyred touring bike or a 32mm tyred jack of all trades "hybrid".

I only ask as last time I did a long distance route most of it was on-road/smooth trails but there were a few sections where my poor Audax bike took a right hammering on it's skinny rims, and I ended up busting a spoke and needed a new rim when I got home.

Thanks
radek

Re: Caledonian cycleway

Post by radek »

I did the Caledonian Way (Inverness to Oban part) last year on Schwalbe 26 x 1.75 without any issues. If my memory is correct, along the Loch Lochy, there is a part of cycle route 78 which goes through a forest road that has some rock - nothing to technical. See the link bellow.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/19012

Have fun! It is a lovely part of Scotland !
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

Yes the Loch Lochy stretch, maybe 5 miles or so, is a very stony path. Not technical in a MTB sense but pinch flat / spoke risky on 25mm.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The CC I ride is smooth. :)
Caledonian Cycleway
Caledonian Cycleway
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

I agree with the comments about the forestry track by Loch Lochy, it's very bumpy.

Can I recommend a wee diversion to the Clan Cameron Museum ar Achnacarry. It's well worth a visit.

As well as the Clan Cameron history, it has a section on Jacobite history and a very interesting room devoted to the Commando training in WWII including accounts of live ammunition used in training

.We were lucky with the weather and enjoyed an ice cream while sitting outside.

I believe the canal will be reopened soon after some repairs to the locks etc.

Cheers
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

IN't this what used ti be the "Great Glen Way?
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I would use either the slick tyred MTB or hybrid because the wider tyres will be better for the Loch Lochy section. Most of that is pretty good forestry road but there are some short stony sections.

The cycle track was closed SW of Fort Augustus in late February 2019 but hopefully will be open again for when you use it but it might be worth checking.