Least hilly Lejog route ?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Paddy56

Least hilly Lejog route ?

Post by Paddy56 »

Hi, looking for the least hilly route, I don't mind A roads and also don't need a support team supplied by an organised company. Number of the organised routes avoid the busy roads and take in the hilly routes to add to the adventure via excursions and unclassified lanes this is definitely not what am after.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Paulatic

Re: Least hilly Lejog route ?

Post by Paulatic »

Got to be the route used by record attempts. Can’t imagine Michael Broadwith or Jasjmin Mulleur went out of their way to find hills. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I plotted this route a while back which keeps total climb down to 7800m. It's not the shortest (1084mi) and it follows quiet roads rather than A roads, but the general corridor might give you some ideas. You could reduce the climb still further if you were prepared to follow major roads - using the A1 from Berwick to Dunbar would save you 100m-ish, for example.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Paddy56

Post by Paddy56 »

Thank you, I'll have a look.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Could try
A30 to Long Rock then just before Marazion follow NCN 3 to Hayle. Connor Downs , Carnell Green , Camborne, Redruth, Scorrier, Chasewater, Truro, Tresillian, Ladock ,Fraddon Indian Queens,edit on old A30 to Bodmin, Camel Trail then to Launceston, old A30 to Exeter, Alphington Rd then past St David Stn. a396 as far as Stoke Cannon, across to B3181 @ Budlack. Wellington Cross A38 to Wellington. Canal to Bridgwater, High Bridge, Weston Super Mare. Leave WSM via Kew Stoke and Ebdon. A370 to meet Strawberry Line to Yatton. CLevedon, Clapton in Gordino, over M5. Hallen, Easter Compton, Olverston and NCN 41 to Gloucester.
Some bits I've ridden lots, some I wouldn't want to ride but does get through the hilliest bit missing lots of them.

A bit of my route seemed to be missing so I've edited it.
Last edited by whoof on 17 Feb 2019, 8:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

WIMPS LEJOG route ... the give away is in the name .... Well sort of ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Paddy56

Post by Paddy56 »

Thankyou
quote="whoof"]Could try
A30 to Long Rock then just before Marazion follow NCN 3 to Hayle. Connor Downs , Carnell Green , Camborne, Redruth, Scorrier, Chasewater, Truro, Tresillian, Ladock ,Fraddon Indian Queens,edit on old A30 to Bodmin, Camel Trail then to Launceston, old A30 to Exeter, Alphington Rd then past St David Stn. a396 as far as Stoke Cannon, across to B3181 @ Budlack. Wellington Cross A38 to Wellington. Canal to Bridgwater, High Bridge, Weston Super Mare. Leave WSM via Kew Stoke and Ebdon. A370 to meet Strawberry Line to Yatton. CLevedon, Clapton in Gordino, over M5. Hallen, Easter Compton, Olverston and NCN 41 to Gloucester.
Some bits I've ridden lots, some I wouldn't want to ride but does get through the hilliest bit missing lots of them.

A bit of my route seemed to be missing so I've edited it.[/quote]
Paddy56

Post by Paddy56 »

Thank you all for suggestions, this maybe a silly question, but the Wimp Lejog route is that found by a simple Google search. ?
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Both Jasjmin Mulleur and Ian Tu got to Kidderminster and headed up to Shatterford on the A442 towards Bridgnorth, it's a terrible road to cycle on and I can't believe they both did it twice!!!. Michael Broadwith headed up the A449 to Wolverhampton and then to Gailey island on the old K6 course, it's a lot flatter and quicker. I saw him at Penn island and got a couple of photos.
It must have been amazing to see him at the finish.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Paddy56 wrote:Thank you all for suggestions, this maybe a silly question, but the Wimp Lejog route is that found by a simple Google search. ?

You can see the route http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/index. ... &Itemid=93

E2E info
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

Paulatic seemed to like finding hills on the WIMPS ride....probably enjoyed watching me suffer!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Nickeveson wrote:Paulatic seemed to like finding hills on the WIMPS ride....probably enjoyed watching me suffer!

How could he have enjoyed watching us suffer .... he was too far in front on the hills .. :lol: :lol:

When i got to the top of Beattock Summit all i saw was his body laid out on the grass at the side of the road ....I was genuinely worried until he sprung up to his feet as i approached .... :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Nickeveson wrote:Paulatic seemed to like finding hills on the WIMPS ride....probably enjoyed watching me suffer!

It was a pleasure to witness your technique Nick. :) I had to go ahead to get out of earshot I’d never of got up the hill myself if I’d thought it was as steep as you claimed it to be. :lol:

E2E info
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

Hills Paul! They were mountains