YHA Infomation and updates

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
horizon

Re: YHA prices: steep increase in the pipeline!

Post by horizon »

PH wrote:An alternative view would be that the majority of these groups are children and young people and prioritising them is closer to the original aims than looking after the usually rather older cycle tourist or other independent traveller.

I think what motivates a lot of us older people to express our concerns about the YHA is in fact our recollections of how we used hostels as young teenagers. We were young then and hostels gave us our first taste of independence and freedom. They also provided a real physical challenge, gave us a glimpse of rural life and simple living (sometmes without electricity such as at Tanners Hatch and Hindhead) and introduced us to an amazing variety of buildings. We are cycle tourists now because of that opportunity then. I like to think that we instinctively know that a coachload of school children in a purpose-built hostel with full amenities will have a different experience from ours. What I owe to the YHA is priceless - no wonder I bemoan its passing.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

horizon wrote:
PH wrote:An alternative view would be that the majority of these groups are children and young people and prioritising them is closer to the original aims than looking after the usually rather older cycle tourist or other independent traveller.

I think what motivates a lot of us older people to express our concerns about the YHA is in fact our recollections of how we used hostels as young teenagers. We were young then and hostels gave us our first taste of independence and freedom. They also provided a real physical challenge, gave us a glimpse of rural life and simple living (sometmes without electricity such as at Tanners Hatch and Hindhead) and introduced us to an amazing variety of buildings. We are cycle tourists now because of that opportunity then. I like to think that we instinctively know that a coachload of school children in a purpose-built hostel with full amenities will have a different experience from ours. What I owe to the YHA is priceless - no wonder I bemoan its passing.

right and therefore shortsighted as they wont come back on their own as thats not the YHA concept they get? and where will the volunteer wardens come from then?
PH

Post by PH »

horizon wrote:

I don't think it's entirely fair to blame the YHA for it no longer being the 1950's :wink:
I know these discussions are always a bit chicken and egg, but all the indications I've noted are that lack of demand preceded the transformation of the YHA. I'll repeat my earlier point that I don't think the YHA would have survived in it's the same way as it did when you (And I) were youths.
horizon

Post by horizon »

PH wrote:I don't think it's entirely fair to blame the YHA for it no longer being the 1950's :wink:
I know these discussions are always a bit chicken and egg, but all the indications I've noted are that lack of demand preceded the transformation of the YHA. I'll repeat my earlier point that I don't think the YHA would have survived in it's the same way as it did when you (And I) were youths.

I mostly agree with you. The YHA is quite a wide ranging entity - I remember for example going with a large group of coach-borne hikers from university so it wasn't all starry-eyed teenager stuff. The YHA has done well to re-position itself to survive and modernise. But I think it had such a unique and valuable role that it should never have had to compete in the open market with Travelodge (which one warden told me was their plan). A few paltry million from government (especially during Foot and Mouth) might have saved the network. Who knows, it might one day have bounced back but as with the railway branch lines, when you've sold off the track it's too late.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

horizon wrote:
PH wrote:I don't think it's entirely fair to blame the YHA for it no longer being the 1950's :wink:

I mostly agree with you. The YHA is quite a wide ranging entity - I remember for example going with a large group of coach-borne hikers from university so it wasn't all starry-eyed teenager stuff. The YHA has done well to re-position itself to survive and modernise. But I think it had such a unique and valuable role that it should never have had to compete in the open market with Travelodge (which one warden told me was their plan). A few paltry million from government (especially during Foot and Mouth) might have saved the network. Who knows, it might one day have bounced back but as with the railway branch lines, when you've sold off the track it's too late.

yes a little from the education budget or culture or even better the lottery? but then the people who decide these things only stay in 4* hotels they never pay for any way so not likely to happen :cry:
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

It's interesting that some very basic hostels like the ones run by the Gatliff Trust still survive and seem to be doing pretty well. These seem to operate on the basis of a non-resident local warden plus external funding and volunteer work parties. It is a pity that more of the YHA network could not operate on this sort of model. But I guess what works on the Hebrides may not be so good in other places.
meic

Post by meic »

I have just booked myself and the little one into a family room at St Davids YHA, for the grand sum of £20.49.
I dont think we will do much cycling though in this weather.

If the thread title is correct we had better take the opportunities while we can still afford them.
Yma o Hyd
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

gloomyandy wrote:It's interesting that some very basic hostels like the ones run by the Gatliff Trust still survive and seem to be doing pretty well. These seem to operate on the basis of a non-resident local warden plus external funding and volunteer work parties. It is a pity that more of the YHA network could not operate on this sort of model. But I guess what works on the Hebrides may not be so good in other places.

That is exactly how many hostels in Wales were run in the 1970s,seemed to work
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like the nonsense prices reported at the start may have been some kind of glitch or they have repented?
DorothyA1952

Post by DorothyA1952 »

Ive looked again recently at YHA pricing and they appear to have reduced somewhat. A few weeks ago I couldn't find anything much below £25/£30 a night shared dorm.. Ive booked a night in hawkeshead for £15 (mid june). Can anyone shed any light?.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Random/crazy pricing?
Cunobelin of this parish posted an account of algorithms adjusting prices so that an ordinary book was offered for a million
Try checking the prices several times a day, see if they change
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well the £3 membership reduction /night has been replaced by a measley 10% off as of today. Fortunatley I booke my summer trip to Wye Valley for August before it came in and saved my self £9
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

mercalia wrote:well the £3 membership reduction /night has been replaced by a measley 10% off as of today. Fortunatley I booke my summer trip to Wye Valley for August before it came in and saved my self £9
In

Interesting. Thanks
I use my card for 10% off at Cotswalds. I hope this hasn't changed.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

matt2matt2002 wrote:
mercalia wrote:well the £3 membership reduction /night has been replaced by a measley 10% off as of today. Fortunatley I booke my summer trip to Wye Valley for August before it came in and saved my self £9
In

Interesting. Thanks
I use my card for 10% off at Cotswalds. I hope this hasn't changed.

the benefits to be had from certain retailers etc ( like Rail Card ) havent changed just the membership reduction per night for stays in the hostels.
robing

Post by robing »

Prices seem to vary widely. The more rural ones seem reasonable, but for instance in Bristol a night in a dorm costs an eye watering £35! I could stay in a BnB for that. They should offer more camping at YHAs - that would be a popular option but relatively few offer it. And beware of unofficial YHAs masquerading on the YHA site, they can be terrible - I have personal experience of this!