Rotor 1x13 hydraulic groupset

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Oceanic

Re: Rotor 1x13 hydraulic groupset

Post by Oceanic »

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtlgdSZH7An/

Mads Pedersen and Bauke Mollema are choosing to ride 1x12 despite their Trek team mates opting for 2x12 set ups.

It is notable that Bauke Mollema rode a 53/39 x 11-28 set up on mountain stages before changing to 1x.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

The Luddite in me can sometimes be squashed. This isn't completely the case here but as some one who does buy something new occasionally might I suggest that so many people here seem to forget that to most of us cycling is fun. A new piece of kit is great, regardless of its practicality. The sense in buying it takes second place to the fun of having something novel.
We all think that way at some point. I know people who moan about modern bikes but buy a modern car with just as many gizmos. Most modern cars have pointless kit as well.
Our sweet spot seems to be about where we started cycling I reckon.
scottg

Post by scottg »

reohn2 wrote:[snip]

It's because there isn't any,only marketing madness aimed at the gullible.

I feel the same way about pneumatic tyres, just a scam to sell tubes and patch kits. :)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I've got an 11 - 42 cassette with a 34 front single ring on my bikes ...
But it was inexpensive to put together .. especially compared with the ROTOR and if you use front rings without ramps or pins ( i get mine from SPA ) then the chain stays where it is supposed to be ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:I've got an 11 - 42 cassette with a 34 front single ring on my bikes ...
But it was inexpensive to put together .. especially compared with the ROTOR and if you use front rings without ramps or pins ( i get mine from SPA ) then the chain stays where it is supposed to be ....

9,10 or 11speed?
9&10sp cassettes are the same width so work with any chainring ramped and pinned or not.I have 14-34 custom cassette with a 39t chaining in the middle ring position of a triple Stronglight Impact chainset and regularly use all 9 ratios n that ring.I also have a 24t inner ring for those wall like 15% gravelly off road climbs.
Works great :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

scottg wrote:
reohn2 wrote:[snip]

It's because there isn't any,only marketing madness aimed at the gullible.

I feel the same way about pneumatic tyres, just a scam to sell tubes and patch kits. :)

Yeah I was thinking of going over to pneumatics but they don't do a tyre and inner tube size big enough diameter for my Ordinary :wink:
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:9,10 or 11speed?
9&10sp cassettes are the same width so work with any chainring ramped and pinned or not.I have 14-34 custom cassette with a 39t chaining in the middle ring position of a triple Stronglight Impact chainset and regularly use all 9 ratios n that ring.I also have a 24t inner ring for those wall like 15% gravelly off road climbs.

9 speed ... and for a single ring chainset rings with out ramps and pins work better .... experience .....
Be more Mike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
reohn2 wrote:9,10 or 11speed?

9 speed ... and for a single ring chainset rings with out ramps and pins work better .... experience .....

I don't think it makes any difference on a 1x9sp either way as I say I mostly ride 39t x 9sp(with a bail out 24t inner ring) on a ramped and pinned ring on one bike and same gearing on another with a 39t no ramps/pins(again with a 24t bail out x 9sp and can't tell the difference either way.
One thing worth mentioning though,with friction DT front lever in Kelly's both r/pinned ring and the bike without r/pins change just as slick :) .
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

With ramp and pin fitted 34 tooth single chainring my chain will fall off, with a 34 tooth chainring with out ramp and pin it does not ... longest ride with no ramp and pin 840 miles no chain falling off ... longest ride with ramp and pin 68 miles before chain fell off ...
Be more Mike.
RickH

Post by RickH »

landsurfer wrote:With ramp and pin fitted 34 tooth single chainring my chain will fall off, with a 34 tooth chainring with out ramp and pin it does not ... longest ride with no ramp and pin 840 miles no chain falling off ... longest ride with ramp and pin 68 miles before chain fell off ...

My chain has never come off in nearly 4000 miles with narrow-wide chainring (& clutch rear mech) on my 1x bike! :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:With ramp and pin fitted 34 tooth single chainring my chain will fall off, with a 34 tooth chainring with out ramp and pin it does not ... longest ride with no ramp and pin 840 miles no chain falling off ... longest ride with ramp and pin 68 miles before chain fell off ...

Never had that problem and I ride some very rough tracks and trails with ramped and pinned chainrings,many,many thousands of miles, without a clutch rear mech on all but one bike.
EDIT,Even my folder with very short chainstays and a 1x8drivetrain(same width cassette as 9sp) never gives any trouble.
Last edited by reohn2 on 15 Mar 2019, 8:38am, edited 2 times in total.
W H Auden
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

reohn2 wrote:Never had that problem and I ride some very rough tracks and trails with ramped and pinned chainrings,many,many thousands of miles.

But those miles were done with a front derailleur, right?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Samuel D wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Never had that problem and I ride some very rough tracks and trails with ramped and pinned chainrings,many,many thousands of miles.

But those miles were done with a front derailleur, right?

That's fair comment though I've never felt that made a difference,never noticed any chain rub on cage plates.
See my edit to previous post.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:

My chain has never come off in nearly 4000 miles with narrow-wide chainring (& clutch rear mech) on my 1x bike! :D

Never thought about before,but am I right in thinking the narrow wide chainring has to be in sync with the chains sideplates?
ie; inner plates falling on the narrow teeth and outer plates on the wide teeth.
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:For obvious reasons,if anyone thinks that isn't an idiotic idea is an idiot!
+1
Mick F. Cornwall