** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vorpal

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Vorpal »

May cannot afford a general election, if she wants to remain PM.

She said she would resign before the next general election. She lost the Tory majority in the last one. She has lost several MPs and lost control of enough of the rest to fail to pass her Brexit deal. IMO, of all the choices on the table, now, a GE is last one she wants, and probably the last one most of party want. Even if she refused to resign, I doubt she'd keep her job.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
And actually what was so terrible about pre Brexit Britain that it is worth so much division and strife.

The worst UK government since in modern times?

After all it is clear that the EU would recognise the dissatifaction of the UK. Or at least that is my view.

Without a doubt but they still wish us to remain for the good of the whole.
Little Englanders OTOH would cut off their own nose tovzpite their face!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Yesterday we saw the farce of the Brexit Secretary giving a speech urging the House to support to Government proposal then voting against it. Mr Integrity!

You couldn't make it up.
John
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Vorpal wrote:May cannot afford a general election, if she wants to remain PM.

She said she would resign before the next general election. She lost the Tory majority in the last one. She has lost several MPs and lost control of enough of the rest to fail to pass her Brexit deal. IMO, of all the choices on the table, now, a GE is last one she wants, and probably the last one most of party want. Even if she refused to resign, I doubt she'd keep her job.

OTOH if I was her I'd see a GE and her automatic resignation as a way of dodging the crap.
Bit like shutting your front door when you step in out of a storm, the sense of relief and the need for a nice cuppa and a sit down.

She'd be mad not to call it - imo. ;)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:Yesterday we saw the farce of the Brexit Secretary giving a speech urging the House to support to Government proposal then voting against it. Mr Integrity!

You couldn't make it up.

I think they do day by day :twisted:
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

reohn2 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Yesterday we saw the farce of the Brexit Secretary giving a speech urging the House to support to Government proposal then voting against it. Mr Integrity!

You couldn't make it up.

Seems very reasonable....

The speech is his job, the vote is personal
mjr

Post by mjr »

You couldn't make it up.

Very strange and hard to reconcile vote and speech without Mr Barclay either being a liar or working against the national interest: https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/stephen ... amendment/
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:
Vorpal wrote:May cannot afford a general election, if she wants to remain PM.

OTOH if I was her I'd see a GE and her automatic resignation as a way of dodging the crap.
Bit like shutting your front door when you step in out of a storm, the sense of relief and the need for a nice cuppa and a sit down.

She'd be mad not to call it - imo. ;)

Only trouble is there's no roof on the house coz she didn't maintain it,the windows fell out years ago,the gas was turned off by the ulitities coz she didn't pay the bill and in the eagerness to shut out the storm that rages,she traps her simulated leopardskin shoed foot in the door breaking her ankle........
Only to turn around in disbelief to find a family of immigrants have taken residence whilst she was securing the borders :shock:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cunobelin wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

You couldn't make it up.

Seems very reasonable....

The speech is his job, the vote is personal

I do like a man of honour :roll:
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PDQ Mobile wrote: ... And actually what was so terrible about pre Brexit Britain that it is worth so much division and strife. ...

As I see it, there's been remarkable little real bother. With regard to people not voting in the referendum, I noted the lack of a third choice. If it's IN/OUT that might be "shake it all about" in the form of disorder of the poll tax kind but it hasn't happened and I'm at a loss to understand why.

It's just over a decade since we had a massive financial crisis caused by the moneymen being allowed to do as they pleased. Young people - tradionally those with the hottest heads and the vigour - are starting adult life either up to their necks in debt or with little hope of rewarding work. At the other end of the age-scale occupational pensions and nest-egg life savings have been ravaged. Against that background, blaming it all in the €U and voting to leave seems tame.

While I'm on, the tools for stirring up a bit of rioting seem much better than ever before: social media both to spread "the message" and for the more the more practical things like deploying participants. IME, hot weather leads to hot heads, not least because it involves increased sherbet consumption, but heat like we experienced last Summer passed quietly.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote: ... And actually what was so terrible about pre Brexit Britain that it is worth so much division and strife. ...

As I see it, there's been remarkable little real bother. With regard to people not voting in the referendum, I noted the lack of a third choice. If it's IN/OUT that might be "shake it all about" in the form of disorder of the poll tax kind but it hasn't happened and I'm at a loss to understand why.

It's just over a decade since we had a massive financial crisis caused by the moneymen being allowed to do as they pleased. Young people - tradionally those with the hottest heads and the vigour - are starting adult life either up to their necks in debt or with little hope of rewarding work. At the other end of the age-scale occupational pensions and nest-egg life savings have been ravaged. Against that background, blaming it all in the €U and voting to leave seems tame.

While I'm on, the tools for stirring up a bit of rioting seem much better than ever before: social media both to spread "the message" and for the more the more practical things like deploying participants. IME, hot weather leads to hot heads, not least because it involves increased sherbet consumption, but heat like we experienced last Summer passed quietly.

The word you're looking for is apathy,followed by stunned belief by many at the sheer incompetence of the government matched only by a belief that the opposition can only be worse as peddled by the predominantly ultra rightwing gutter press.
In short the country has lost all hope of meaningful society,preferring a get what you can and the devil take the hindmost form of living.
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:

The word you're looking for is apathy,followed by stunned belief by many at the sheer incompetence of the government matched only by a belief that the opposition can only be worse as peddled by the predominantly ultra rightwing gutter press.
In short the country has lost all hope of meaningful society,preferring a get what you can and the devil take the hindmost form of living.

I think that's a misuse of the phrase 'ultra rightwing'. Whilst I don't agree with its pov we should be grateful that's what it isn't.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

May tries to persuade the commons to vote for her deal for a third time despite two previously heavy losses.

The irony is killing me given another vote for Joe P is ruled out because despite the narrow margin apparently it's what we all want.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I think that's a misuse of the phrase 'ultra rightwing'. Whilst I don't agree with its pov we should be grateful that's what it isn't.

The coverage of the Gina Miller Court case with comments like calling the judges involved enemies of the people, the attacks on Mrs Miller herself certainly justify the description ultra right wing as does the use of expressions like traitor to describe politicians. Their attitude towards immigrants shows similar right wing traits, though with good lawyers they keep just inside the law.

The Mail has a long history of ultra right wing views supporting and praising both Oswald Mosley and Adolf Hitler in the thirties.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker