QR Saddle bag

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mattsccm

QR Saddle bag

Post by mattsccm »

Want something for commuting. Panniers are a bit wide for several gates so a nice QR saddle bag would do the job. Mid to large Carradice sort of thing I guess. Does the Carradice SQR work on all of their bags or is it limited to certain ones? Looks like a an easy system to use.
Alternatively can anyone suggest something else? Would prefer to ditch the rack as that would mean that I could swap bikes. Would prefer a bit of structure rather than just a big stuff sack a la "bike packing " kit.
stevegreen

Re: QR Saddle bag

Post by stevegreen »

You certainly can use a traditional saddlebag oo an SQR frame.
I have a Super C bag mounted on one, and an SQR Slim bag for smaller loads.
It's best to make sure that there's enough room to fit/remove the bag before you commit yourself! If it fits, it works well.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Ta.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I guess it depends what you want to carry. I have an Ortlieb 'seat bag' which is waterproof, takes seconds to remove and has enough structure to not look like a bungeed mess. Narrow and IIRC, 7 litre capacity.
And because it's seatpost mounted it can sit lower if you prefer to keep potential sway to a mimimum.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Success of the SQR is also dependent on how much seat post you have and position of saddle. I have both Carradice and Ortileb and if the Ortileb bag is big enough it would be my first choice. Because my saddle is rammed back I have to hang a cut off seatpost from the rear of saddle onto which I clamp the sqr. Clamping it onto the supporting seatpost creates difficulties lifting on or off and also two metal prongs sticking in my ass. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

I had a thin walled seat post snap when I used a (probably overloaded) SQR Tour, so I'd be a little bit cautious about SQR. Make sure the post is up to it, wrap insulation tape around before putting the SQR bracket on, and don't overload.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

pwa wrote:I had a thin walled seat post snap when I used a (probably overloaded) SQR Tour, so I'd be a little bit cautious about SQR. Make sure the post is up to it, wrap insulation tape around before putting the SQR bracket on, and don't overload.

My SQR Tour in France. I never think it looks as neat as panniers, but I never found any downsides and it was attached to a fully loaded Super C. Old 1990s seatpost though so probably pretty solid.
pwa

Post by pwa »

bigjim wrote:
pwa wrote:I had a thin walled seat post snap when I used a (probably overloaded) SQR Tour, so I'd be a little bit cautious about SQR. Make sure the post is up to it, wrap insulation tape around before putting the SQR bracket on, and don't overload.

My SQR Tour in France. I never think it looks as neat as panniers, but I never found any downsides and it was attached to a fully loaded Super C. Old 1990s seatpost though so probably pretty solid.

That's the sort of seatpost I would want if I were still using an SQR. The other drawback I found was speed wobble which I attributed to the bag oscillating a bit with vibration. But I did let my bag get too heavy with too much inside.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

There's the option of this if your saddle has hoops on the back and you're wanting to be a bit more 'traditional'.
https://www.carradice.co.uk/products/sa ... lebag-rack
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

When touring I have a Carradice camper longflap sitting on one of the bagman expedition quick release supports. Goes on and off in a few seconds:

You might also notice that there's an SQR mount on the back of the seatpost as well. I used to use the camper longflap with an SQR rack, but the bagman support does a better job of preventing bag sway when riding out of the saddle.

The max rated capacity of the support is 10kg, so I just put lightweight bulky items in it. When we stop somewhere for a few days, I use just the saddlebag for our day rides.

If you want to carry more weight in a saddlebag, I reckon the Nitto saddlebag clamp is the best QR method of carrying a saddlebag. Two possible minuses are a) because of the way it fits to the saddle rails, it really needs to be fitted to a saddle such as a Brooks leather model where the rails are reasonably vertical at the back, and b) it also needs a lightweight rack for support underneath to prevent fore-aft sway. It uses a normal rear wheel quick release to clamp the bag in place. The additional leather strap you can see in the image below is not needed for the setup to work - I fitted it there for additional stability when cycling rough stuff.

Here's a Camper Longflap on the Nitto clamp being used as my sole luggage on a mountain tour in Victoria:

I buy my Nitto parts from Alexs Cycle in Japan: https://alexscycle.com/collections/nitto/products/nitto-r-50-saddle-bag-supporter-1.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Found a picture of the Ortlieb seat bag installed on my Airnimal. It needs about 3" of seatpost but can be removed / fitted in a few seconds.

DSCN0166.JPG

Boxing Day 2018 off the Faschinajoch, Austria

Very stable and holds far more than you think it will.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Good to see alternatives.
The Bagman idea looks somewhat fragile. I have had, many decades ago, a Carradice support snap so maybe my judgement is flawed.
The Ortlieb type stuff sack is a bit small. I would hardly get my butties in that.
Could add a support easily I guess as the bike is disc braked but had bolt on canti mounts which leaves two nice little bolt holes on each seat stay.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

The nitto one looks like a good idea. I used to have an Andrew Haque one which I used for years - it worked very well as long as the initial adjustment was correct. It would be possible (with the correct size parts) to make a simple expanding item with a couple of alloy tubes (one sliding inside another) with slots at their ends to locate on the saddle rails (if that makes sense). The bag loops being around the tubes. Biggest problem(I suspect) would be sourcing 2 suitable sized tubes. It's an interesting thread to me, although I've no use for a QR fixing because I use a rack bag.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »