Team Sky is now Team INEOS

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
mjr

Re: Team Sky is now Team INEOS

Post by mjr »

ratherbeintobago wrote:
mjr wrote:
PH wrote:Best give all professional sport a wide berth if you dislike the smell. Or do you know of one that isn't tainted with with dirty money?

Can't I just support a more ethical team? Imperfections don't mean we shouldn't try.

Any suggestions who though?

Orica (formerly ICI Australia IIRC) are a big mining company, I think.

At least it’s not Amgen (makers of EPO) who sponsored the Tour of California…

Orica haven't sponsored for a while. I don't understand whether replacement sponsor Mitchelton is the town or something else.

Ag2r and EF seem better, but it depends on your personal ethics how you feel about particular sponsors, same as some will have no problems with a tax dodging shale gas miner.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:Changing one tax migrant Leave supporter sponsor for another. Hold my nose and pass the cash, eh?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47015517

...seems to pay quite a lot for someone who's a migrant - I think he needs better tax advice :wink:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mjr wrote:Changing one tax migrant Leave supporter sponsor for another. Hold my nose and pass the cash, eh?

...seems to pay quite a lot for someone who's a migrant - I think he needs better tax advice :wink:

Note that is the last full tax year before he moved away again, this time to Monaco.

I also note that the richest person is only the fifth highest taxpayer.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Note that is the last full tax year before he moved away again, this time to Monaco.

I posted some facts, that's all.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47015517

What are you suggesting I posted that wasn't factual? Are you saying that he hasn't moved to Monaco in 2018?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

FWIW,I like to watch cycle racing,particularly the Spring Classics,I don't 'support' any team or rider particularly,though do have a soft spot for G*.
To disentangle the web of drugs,deceit,gamesmanship,etc,etc of modern pro sport is to try and plait fog,so I take it as I find it as entertainment,and accept it is about as far removed from my cycling as F1 is from my motoring.

*could be described as the G spot but I flatly refuse to go into it too deeply :shock: :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 19 Mar 2019, 11:16am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
mjr wrote:Note that is the last full tax year before he moved away again, this time to Monaco.

What are you suggesting I posted that wasn't factual? Are you saying that he hasn't moved to Monaco in 2018?

Pardon?

Wrong inference is wrong.

Happy (but rather surprised to have to) confirm :D
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

They've announced today that they're becoming Team INEOS on 1st May, so will be debuting at the Tour de Yorkshire.

https://www.teamsky.com/article/team-sk ... team-ineos
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
mjr wrote:Note that is the last full tax year before he moved away again, this time to Monaco.

:lol:

"The [Rich] list increased its estimate of his wealth by £15.3bn to £21bn after he provided access to the privately held accounts of Ineos, which he founded in 1998. The newspaper also increased its valuation of his mansion near Beaulieu, in the New Forest, and his two superyachts, called Hampshire and Hampshire II. The reassessment catapulted Ratcliffe from 18th to first place in the list."

BTW I'm slightly suspicious that the various people listed don't have ways of reducing their tax bills below the numbers the Times have estimated, but who knows.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thelawnet wrote:
mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I posted some facts, that's all.

:lol:

"The [Rich] list increased its estimate of his wealth by £15.3bn to £21bn after he provided access to the privately held accounts of Ineos, which he founded in 1998. The newspaper also increased its valuation of his mansion near Beaulieu, in the New Forest, and his two superyachts, called Hampshire and Hampshire II. The reassessment catapulted Ratcliffe from 18th to first place in the list."

BTW I'm slightly suspicious that the various people listed don't have ways of reducing their tax bills below the numbers the Times have estimated, but who knows.

Odd thing to do if he had anything to hide - I bet Philip Green might be somewhat more reticent...
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

So much amusement here. Bear in mind that so many here are so keen on cycling expanding in the UK yet it does seem rather strange to knock anything that helps. A lot of the increase in interest has come off the back of TdF wins etc. Or are people innocent enough to expect Greenpeace to sponsor a team? As expected anything successful is attacked in Britain.

Frankly who cares really? Cycling isn't a sport where you support a team as they change so regularly. You support rider if that's what floats your boat surely.
Finally could we try to keep standards at the usual high level and not descend into personal abuse of people we don't know as seen online else where?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mattsccm wrote:Finally could we try to keep standards at the usual high level and not descend into personal abuse of people we don't know as seen online else where?

Good call - I shall write Sir Philip an apology. Actually, I reckon I'm on pretty solid ground with him, doncha think? :lol:
1982john

Post by 1982john »

while this is great for riders and at least in short term the sport - long term i worry about the lack of competitiveness - personally I will never support anything to do with this brand. The length it has gone to undermine progress in climate change is sickening.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

1982john wrote:while this is great for riders and at least in short term the sport - long term i worry about the lack of competitiveness - personally I will never support anything to do with this brand. The length it has gone to undermine progress in climate change is sickening.

I suspect products from this company are ubiquitous, it is a 'hidden champion'
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
1982john wrote:while this is great for riders and at least in short term the sport - long term i worry about the lack of competitiveness - personally I will never support anything to do with this brand. The length it has gone to undermine progress in climate change is sickening.

I suspect products from this company are ubiquitous, it is a 'hidden champion'

+1 ... your every day life slides along on an unseen film of products that Ineos and the like produce .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.