** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:I think the home secretary should remove her British Citzenship while she is out of the country so she can't come back?
I would rather allow Shamima Begum to come back rather than the terrorist Mrs May, she has done so much damage?

I'd sign that petition.
horizon

Post by horizon »

mercalia wrote:1M

Parliament's petitions committee tweeted that the rate of signatures was "the highest the site has ever had to deal with", after the website crashed.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:
RickH wrote:I note it has now passed 3/4 million!
A tiny drop in the ocean.

If it were to get to 34million it might be worth taking note of it.

Even Andrea Leadsom said 17.4 million would be worth taking note of.

And my confirmation email still hasn't come thru.
Cheltenham must be having a tea break
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

(Almost) back again.

I have spent the last 4 months independently travelling round Peru, Bolivia and parts of Chile (without bike) and I am astounded at how aware locals are of what is going on in the UK (more so in Peru than Bolivia & Chile). It’s embarrassing. As soon as they discover I’m British the “What in God’s name …” starts. One place I visited required you take a guide and when the guide found I was British I was immediately called “Brexit” with lots of laughter! For the last couple of months I’ve sometimes been using my limited French language to claim I’m French.

And picking up on the news again I’m beyond shocked. The money we pour into Westmister and they are a bunch of total incompetents who do little more than revel in their own ideologies blinkered to the rest world. What seems to be going on is unbelievable. E.g. undemocratic for the electorate to be asked a 2nd time (despite 3 years and a lot changed) but “completely democratic” for MPs to be asked a 3rd time agter just a few days when nothing has changed (beyond a lot of bullying) - talk about hypocrisy.

Unbelievable.
(Sorry, sure these points have been raised but I’m not reading back over 4 months of posts).

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:I think the home secretary should remove her British Citzenship while she is out of the country so she can't come back?
I would rather allow Shamima Begum to come back rather than the terrorist Mrs May, she has done so much damage?

I'd sign that petition.

You can imagine them having to debate the motion? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: when it gets past 100,000
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe
Welcome home :)
Unfortunately nothing changes the loonies are still in charge of the westminster asylum :? ......

PS,Hope you had a great time :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

Psamathe wrote:(Almost) back again.

I have spent the last 4 months independently travelling round Peru, Bolivia and parts of Chile

Ian

Yes, welcome back!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

You've been well out of it, Psamathe. You should have stayed away (I would if I could even get away) but welcome back, you've been missed.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

1.14M now - my email finally came through
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:And picking up on the news again I’m beyond shocked. The money we pour into Westmister and they are a bunch of total incompetents who do little more than revel in their own ideologies blinkered to the rest world. What seems to be going on is unbelievable. E.g. undemocratic for the electorate to be asked a 2nd time (despite 3 years and a lot changed) but “completely democratic” for MPs to be asked a 3rd time agter just a few days when nothing has changed (beyond a lot of bullying) - talk about hypocrisy.

Welcome back. Please direct your fire at Whitehall (the executive) rather than Westminster (the MPs), though. This Brexishambles is mostly down to Chairman May's refusal to listen, compromise or build consensus. I can quite understand why the EU are unwilling to renegotiate with May: she negotiated with them in bad faith, basically, by suggesting she could get her deal approved when she was comically far from that.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Psamathe wrote:(Almost) back again.

I have spent the last 4 months independently travelling round Peru, Bolivia and parts of Chile (without bike) and I am astounded at how aware locals are of what is going on in the UK (more so in Peru than Bolivia & Chile).
Welcome back! As it happens, that's exactly where Mrs P and I will be going in June-July - main objective is to watch a total eclipse (weather permitting, visible from Argentina and Chile) on 2 July, but also to visit the well-known tourist hotspots (Machu Picchu, Cusco, etc.).

It’s embarrassing. As soon as they discover I’m British the “What in God’s name …” starts. One place I visited required you take a guide and when the guide found I was British I was immediately called “Brexit” with lots of laughter! For the last couple of months I’ve sometimes been using my limited French language to claim I’m French.
I suppose we'll get the same - although much may have happened between now and June. We're also due for a trip to France at beginning of April (just after the original Br****it day) but that's still very dodgy and we may have to abandon. If we do get there (assuming no-deal hasn't actually happened), we're bound to get some ribaldry from our French neighbours, but it'll all be good-humoured... :wink:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Re: Govt's petitions site crashes after 'Revoke Art.50' petition

Post by 661-Pete »

I finally got in my signature after several attempts - and then I had to wait a long time for the confirmation E-mail. Up to 1.185M last time I looked. Is this number all amassed in a single day? I'm not clear about that. If so, beyond precedent surely!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mjr

Re: Govt's petitions site crashes after 'Revoke Art.50' petition

Post by mjr »

661-Pete wrote:I finally got in my signature after several attempts - and then I had to wait a long time for the confirmation E-mail. Up to 1.185M last time I looked. Is this number all amassed in a single day? I'm not clear about that. If so, beyond precedent surely!

Pretty much. It was below 100k until May's rant last night.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mjr wrote:
Psamathe wrote:And picking up on the news again I’m beyond shocked. The money we pour into Westmister and they are a bunch of total incompetents who do little more than revel in their own ideologies blinkered to the rest world. What seems to be going on is unbelievable. E.g. undemocratic for the electorate to be asked a 2nd time (despite 3 years and a lot changed) but “completely democratic” for MPs to be asked a 3rd time agter just a few days when nothing has changed (beyond a lot of bullying) - talk about hypocrisy.

Welcome back. Please direct your fire at Whitehall (the executive) rather than Westminster (the MPs), though. This Brexishambles is mostly down to Chairman May's refusal to listen, compromise or build consensus. I can quite understand why the EU are unwilling to renegotiate with May: she negotiated with them in bad faith, basically, by suggesting she could get her deal approved when she was comically far from that.

No! Not Whitehall! They are mere civil servants. No 10 is where your ire should be directed.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:
mjr wrote:

No! Not Whitehall! They are mere civil servants. No 10 is where your ire should be directed.

Without doubt!

FWIW I've just been watching the petition,in 5minutes it put on 40,000 signitures and currently stands at 1,400,000
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden