(Cycling) sun tans?

gbnz

(Cycling) sun tans?

Post by gbnz »

Anyone else got one yet?

Suddenly realized a few weeks back that my face had darkened and after an initial, oh god it's jaundice moment (Nb. NHS have been trying to dump liver destroying drugs om me since October ), I realized that I now have a full facial tan :D

Slight problem as the tan stops much higher up the neck line than usual (Nb. Due to a high collared winter jacket), so I'm already dealing with neck based tan lines at work! Don't normally have this problem with a dark brown rear neck until early July. Has it been sunnier than normal this winter?
Cugel

Re: (Cycling) sun tans?

Post by Cugel »

gbnz wrote:Anyone else got one yet?

Suddenly realized a few weeks back that my face had darkened and after an initial, oh god it's jaundice moment (Nb. NHS have been trying to dump liver destroying drugs om me since October ), I realized that I now have a full facial tan :D

Slight problem as the tan stops much higher up the neck line than usual (Nb. Due to a high collared winter jacket), so I'm already dealing with neck based tan lines at work! Don't normally have this problem with a dark brown rear neck until early July. Has it been sunnier than normal this winter?

I have the brown fizzog, which I only noticed when the small scar on my foreheed showed up as a white patch. The small scar is due to the excision of a pre-cancerous skin thingy .... so already I yam slapping on the factor 50.

Cyclists are prone to these skin cancers, especially in the oft-revealed parts such as head/face, lower arms and lower legs. I have a scar or two on my calves from sinilar excisions to that mentioned above. I have a cycling pal who ignored a-one of these things on the back of his baldy heed until it got a bit nasty. They have to then cut deeper and wider. He boasts that they had to excise so much heed-skin that when they sewed it all back up he got a free face lift!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Not got the arms or legs out yet this year, they're still wearing a good bit of last year's tan! It does mean i'll hit the tarmac ahead of the curve for a change as it was quite a dark tan last year.

I have got a bit of a forehead tan line going on, guess it's developed over the winter months :D don't think it's due to more sunshine, wind more likely or just spending lots of time out in the weather.

Given I tan through factor 50 I don't think i'll be too concerned when I do get the flesh out. Not that i'm not on constant watch for lesions and new moles but not found any as yet.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

There is a fashion-risk in the suntan lines if one wears a helmet. Yes!

Long ago, on a Mallorca training camp thingy, when helmets were quite new, a sprog made the mistake of going out for a long sunny ride day with helmet on but no sun tan lotion. It was early days of the camp and so he got a red face of the burnt kind - including the white-skin shadow of the helmet and it's straps. He looked very strange for some time afterwards. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Cugel wrote:There is a fashion-risk in the suntan lines l

Risk? Some years ago I opted to try a one off application of fake tan :wink: . The rationale? After a couple of years indoors with study & work, I desperately had to fit in with the hardened outdoor surveyors I was working with, in respect to a short term job I desperately had to keep.....

No one told me fake tan turns you orange :lol: (NB. In an aggressive, outdoor, macho environment, the sense of shock was so palpable amonngst others, that no one aside from a highly placed, regional manager mentioned it :lol: )
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Not yet... and not sure how no post op cycling will affect the tan initially.... do still have a bit of a tan line from last year.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells