Komoot

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
crossy

Komoot

Post by crossy »

I downloaded Komoot a couple of weeks ago. I used it properly for the first time yesterday. I was riding a recumbent trike. The app lets you choose various methods of calculating routes. I chose racing bike to keep me on roads from Devizes to Frome. I had a coffee then rerouted back to Devizes using the touring setting. That took me on some different roads I wouldn’t have thought of. It was OK until it tried routing me along a canal path it would have been ok on a upright bike but the trike was too wide. So I told it to reroute using racing bike mode did really well. I tried using headphones for the voice directions but the wind noise was to loud for me to hear it. I use a bum bag when I’m on the trike so I ended up putting that across my body with the bag on my shoulder with the phone in next to my ear. I was using an old iPhone 5 I used a portable battery to top it up. The screen was off all the time. You can import gps routes from places I haven’t tried that yet. The map and route was downloaded to the phone and I had my data switched off obviously I put the data back on to do any rerouting. Overall i’m Impressed with it at the moment time will tell in the long run.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
thelawnet

Re: Komoot

Post by thelawnet »

fwiw:

it works quite well but as you say it may use some off-road stuff which can vary between 'deep mud' and 'ok gravel'.

sometimes it sends you on murderous A-roads. You need to check.

the directions are fine, but it will often tell you 'turn left' when it's the same road just with a different name (no give way line). This is stupid and wrong. I think the source data (OSM) has some tags for this (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag ... road_stops), but whether it's the OSM that's at fault or Komoot I'm not sure.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

My Lezyne is now linking to Komoot as a way to make and send routes to the device so I’m investigating it. Tried it this morning on a route I use to the Co-oP. Pleased it actually routed me through a short cut I normally use in the town and also liked the simplicity of making and uploading.
The maps used on Komoot are OSM and yet they charge to get mapping for anything beyond your free area.
Does anyone here use Komoot a lot? What are the advantages, you see, of using it and paying for full use?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
couriertim

Post by couriertim »

Am I missing something using Komoot? it would appear that it doesnt have on screen turn by turn instructions,
also in order to edit a route you have to sign up to premium?. I used a route yesterday suggested by Komoot
and it was great, initial impression is that it is less likely to route you along a busy road than cycle.travel
which i have also found fun to use.
crossy

Post by crossy »

When I use the voice turn instructions on my iPhone the iPhone screen is off to save battery but turn instructions pop up on the screen the same time I get voice instructions. I won’t let Komoot do a route for me if I can help it. I use a route planner to plan my route and send that to the iPhone. I’ve used Komoot to navigate around an Audax no problem using a gpx sent by the organiser.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

couriertim wrote:Am I missing something using Komoot? it would appear that it doesnt have on screen turn by turn instructions,
also in order to edit a route you have to sign up to premium?. I used a route yesterday suggested by Komoot
and it was great, initial impression is that it is less likely to route you along a busy road than cycle.travel
which i have also found fun to use.

If cycle.travel routes you along a busy road then let me know about it... I'd rather it didn't. :D
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Syd

Post by Syd »

I used Komoot today to navigate round a hilly hike in a remote prt of the highlands of Scotland. The route was on their map but not on Google or Apple maps.

Or course I had an OS map and compass in case of issues but Komoot worked flawlessly.
Cyclo2022

Post by Cyclo2022 »

I use the free version if Komoot with a Samsung phone and I am tempted to go for premium. The subscription Is £59.99 a year which looks good value, but is premium worth it?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thelawnet wrote: 26 Mar 2019, 12:29am fwiw:

it works quite well but as you say it may use some off-road stuff which can vary between 'deep mud' and 'ok gravel'.

sometimes it sends you on murderous A-roads. You need to check.
(My bold and colour)
I have a "test route" and I wont use Komoot as it routes me on road I can olny call "certain death". Reality is you'd likely give-up on the slip road and even if you were daft enough to take that you'd abort on the main dual carriage way (A14 round Ipswich).

But then hit their routing towards the end of a long day and have to start finding alternative routes that are longer, etc. not good. So I take the attitude of why use a system that gives questionable routes (or even dangerous routes) when there are options available that always seem to give good cycle routes?

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cyclo2022 wrote: 2 May 2022, 1:53pm I use the free version if Komoot with a Samsung phone and I am tempted to go for premium. The subscription Is £59.99 a year which looks good value, but is premium worth it?
Only you can answer that question. I don’t know what you get for £60 and if you need it. I did trial it for a few months as it works seamlessly with a Lezyne GPS device. It worked but not well enough. I’d no real use for it.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
sjs

Post by sjs »

Cyclo2022 wrote: 2 May 2022, 1:53pm I use the free version if Komoot with a Samsung phone and I am tempted to go for premium. The subscription Is £59.99 a year which looks good value, but is premium worth it?
That seems very expensive. What does it give you over and above the free version?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

sjs wrote: 2 May 2022, 4:56pm
That seems very expensive. What does it give you over and above the free version?
I was quite shocked when I saw the price mentioned. I've used cycle.travel for months of tours daily routing across Europe and for free and every time giving excellent routes (I've never faulted any of its routes). So for the mentioned price vs free I'd be interested to know the differences.

Ian
Cyclo2022

Post by Cyclo2022 »

Basically for Premium you get:
Multi day planner
On tour weather
Sport specific maps
Premium protection
Personal collections
Privileged pricing
🤔
crossy

Post by crossy »

I make a route on another site then import the gpx to Komoot and let that voice guide me. I don’t really trust it to make a route itself.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I downloaded the app, tried it on a couple of routes using the bit of mapping it gives for free, and decided that I wasn’t going to pay £60 for a map I can access for free with either of two good cycling planners along with a load of stuff I could well do without.

App deleted.