My Lidl helmet - and fall

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
mercalia

My Lidl helmet - and fall

Post by mercalia »

my Lidl helmet prevented a bad knock. As I got off my bike I fell backwards against an edge of a path, not very hard but the helmet showed the indent which would have been my head I assume. Thats the sort of accident I would assume a helmet is useful for ?
De Sisti

Re: Trek comes out with new helmet material, says old helmets are rubbish

Post by De Sisti »

mercalia wrote:my Lidl helmet prevented a bad knock. As I got off my bike I fell backwards against an edge of a path, not very hard but the helmet showed the indent which would have been my head I assume. Thats the sort of accident I would assume a helmet is useful for ?

Pretty sure your head would have hurt from the impact but not have had an indent like the helmet.
Brucey

Re: My Lidl helmet - and fall

Post by Brucey »

it probably did help you avoid an injury. But that won't stop folk from speculating that it

a) didn't
b) that the presence of the helmet on your head somehow caused you to fall
c) that the presence of the helmet on your head somehow caused the kerb to be there, or be more pointy than normal
d) that the presence of the helmet on your head somehow made the impact worse than it would have been otherwise
e) that other forms of injury would still have happened or indeed could have been made worse by virtue of wearing a helmet.

or any one of countless other things that you wouldn't expect....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
horizon

Post by horizon »

mercalia wrote:my Lidl helmet prevented a bad knock. As I got off my bike I fell backwards against an edge of a path, not very hard but the helmet showed the indent which would have been my head I assume. Thats the sort of accident I would assume a helmet is useful for ?

If you were getting off your bike, I presume you wouldn't have been doing anything very different from a pedestrian navigating steps/pavement, carrying shopping etc and coping with a fall backwards. That's why most pedestrians now wear a helmet to protect against such accidents, even if the helmet wouldn't protect against being hit a by a car. And very sensible they are too in my view.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Brucey wrote:it probably did help you avoid an injury. But that won't stop folk from speculating

Another observation is that if I go on a (helmet-optional) group ride, everyone (except me) is wearing a helmet.

There are various possible conclusions from this, but I think the main one is that online helmet discussions may be (just a tad) unrepresentative.

(Another observation: someone fell off into a pothole on a ride and suffered some sort of dental injury (while, as per the above, wearing a helmet) and the local CTC group had some sort of motion about compelling helmets. I think this may have fallen by the wayside for whatever reason, but I think there was majority support?)
gaz

Post by gaz »

thelawnet wrote:... the local CTC group had some sort of motion about compelling helmets. I think this may have fallen by the wayside for whatever reason ...

The compelling reason that this will have fallen by the wayside is that it is against Cycling UK policy for a Cycling UK group to have an overt mandatory helmet policy.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
drossall

Post by drossall »

thelawnet wrote:There are various possible conclusions from this, but I think the main one is that online helmet discussions may be (just a tad) unrepresentative.

But only unrepresentative of opinion. The one thing that no-one has ever suggested, to my recollection, in any helmet discussion is that peoples' opinions of helmets' effectiveness change reality by one jot.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Brucey wrote:it probably did help you avoid an injury. But that won't stop folk from speculating that it

a) didn't
b) that the presence of the helmet on your head somehow caused you to fall
c) that the presence of the helmet on your head somehow caused the kerb to be there, or be more pointy than normal
d) that the presence of the helmet on your head somehow made the impact worse than it would have been otherwise
e) that other forms of injury would still have happened or indeed could have been made worse by virtue of wearing a helmet.

or any one of countless other things that you wouldn't expect....

cheers

Are you having a bad day Brucey? Any kind words we can say to smooth things over a little?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

drossall wrote:
thelawnet wrote:There are various possible conclusions from this, but I think the main one is that online helmet discussions may be (just a tad) unrepresentative.

But only unrepresentative of opinion. The one thing that no-one has ever suggested, to my recollection, in any helmet discussion is that peoples' opinions of helmets' effectiveness change reality by one jot.

I think a Brexit mention is due here!
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

gaz wrote:
thelawnet wrote:... the local CTC group had some sort of motion about compelling helmets. I think this may have fallen by the wayside for whatever reason ...

The compelling reason that this will have fallen by the wayside is that it is against Cycling UK policy for a Cycling UK group to have an overt mandatory helmet policy.

The full reasoning:

"He reported to the AGM the vast majority of the 32 respondents favoured the wearing of helmets and about half favoured mandatory wearing of helmets. The committee therefore decided to strongly recommend wearing of helmets."

"No action was proposed by the committee on making helmets mandatory.
Subsequently, CUK was contacted and has advised that the group could not mandate the wearing of helmets as it was not CUK policy."
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I am starting to find it a bit hard some times to swing my leg off the bike, not so flexible as I was maybe and fell backward.
There must be here others who find getting on and off a bike not so easy as it was when they were younger?
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'm not really understanding how that resulted in a fall backwards.

I've kicked the bike over in different ways due to failed dismounts but I'm much heavier than the bike so it falls, not me.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
horizon

Post by horizon »

thelawnet wrote: and the local CTC group had some sort of motion about compelling helmets. I think this may have fallen by the wayside for whatever reason, but I think there was majority support?)

One can only hope that the group insisted on helmets for its motions.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

horizon wrote:
thelawnet wrote: and the local CTC group had some sort of motion about compelling helmets. I think this may have fallen by the wayside for whatever reason, but I think there was majority support?)

One can only hope that the group insisted on helmets for its motions.

Policeman's helmet is better - cycle helmets have too many holes

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandque ... 52,00.html
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:I'm not really understanding how that resulted in a fall backwards.

I've kicked the bike over in different ways due to failed dismounts but I'm much heavier than the bike so it falls, not me.

well I would like to see how you get on and off a bike :shock: