My Lidl helmet - and fall

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
mjr

Re: My Lidl helmet - and fall

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:
mjr wrote:I'm not really understanding how that resulted in a fall backwards.

I've kicked the bike over in different ways due to failed dismounts but I'm much heavier than the bike so it falls, not me.

well I would like to see how you get on and off a bike :shock:

My method of getting on/off a bike is nothing unusual AFAIK: lean the bike and swing the non-standing leg over, usually over the rear rack unless there's tall luggage on it, else over the top tube. So sort-of like this but I can't bring all of my bikes upright until I start moving:
[youtube]R0CJk5UpY4w[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0CJk5UpY4w

So how do you do it and how can it result in a fall?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

A couple of things have contributed to my falling over whilst trying to mount:

Elderly legs;
Bags on the rear rack.

Add to this the inescapable fact that balance can become an issue with age. It is harder to correct a wobble.
John
RickH

Post by RickH »

Oldjohnw wrote:A couple of things have contributed to my falling over whilst trying to mount:

Elderly legs;
Bags on the rear rack.

Add to this the inescapable fact that balance can become an issue with age. It is harder to correct a wobble.

A change of bike to one with lower stepover would probably be a better "safety" option as it would reduce the likelihood of falling over full stop.

A helmet may do some good if you fall over & hit your head. Not falling over will prevent many other possible injuries as well (even if none of them are particularly likely).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
broadway

Post by broadway »

horizon wrote:
mercalia wrote:my Lidl helmet prevented a bad knock. As I got off my bike I fell backwards against an edge of a path, not very hard but the helmet showed the indent which would have been my head I assume. Thats the sort of accident I would assume a helmet is useful for ?

If you were getting off your bike, I presume you wouldn't have been doing anything very different from a pedestrian navigating steps/pavement, carrying shopping etc and coping with a fall backwards. That's why most pedestrians now wear a helmet to protect against such accidents, even if the helmet wouldn't protect against being hit a by a car. And very sensible they are too in my view.

Last week I went last without mine on and promptly tripped over, luckily I I didn't hit my head. I got a well deserved telling off when I got home and told my wife. I'll make sure I don't forget my helmet in the future.
LollyKat

Re: Trek comes out with new helmet material, says old helmets are rubbish

Post by LollyKat »

De Sisti wrote:
mercalia wrote:my Lidl helmet prevented a bad knock. As I got off my bike I fell backwards against an edge of a path, not very hard but the helmet showed the indent which would have been my head I assume. Thats the sort of accident I would assume a helmet is useful for ?

Pretty sure your head would have hurt from the impact but not have had an indent like the helmet.

Some years ago when on foot I slipped on some unexpected ice and came down quite hard, hitting the side of my head on the edge of the kerb. I had just left the house and the streetlight was out, so I had no night vision, otherwise I might have been able to save myself. My head was a bit sore for a couple of hours but no dent and no harm.
pwa

Re: Trek comes out with new helmet material, says old helmets are rubbish

Post by pwa »

LollyKat wrote:
De Sisti wrote:

Pretty sure your head would have hurt from the impact but not have had an indent like the helmet.

Some years ago when on foot I slipped on some unexpected ice and came down quite hard, hitting the side of my head on the edge of the kerb. I had just left the house and the streetlight was out, so I had no night vision, otherwise I might have been able to save myself. My head was a bit sore for a couple of hours but no dent and no harm.
You must repeat that another 99 times to produce some meaningful statistics. :D The only time I knocked myself out was as a kid when I fell off my bike. Lids didn't exist in those days, so my parents didn't have to ask themselves any awkward questions.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Absolutely, many pedestrians suffer exactly this type of energy and they could all benefit from wearing helmets
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Brucey wrote:it probably did help you avoid an injury. But that won't stop folk from speculating that it

a) didn't
b) that the presence of the helmet on your head somehow caused you to fall
c) that the presence of the helmet on your head somehow caused the kerb to be there, or be more pointy than normal
d) that the presence of the helmet on your head somehow made the impact worse than it would have been otherwise
e) that other forms of injury would still have happened or indeed could have been made worse by virtue of wearing a helmet.

or any one of countless other things that you wouldn't expect....

cheers

There is no proof that did help you avoid an injury. But that won't stop folk from speculating that it did
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

There’s a lot to be said for not falling over, whether you are walking or cycling, protective equipment isn’t much of a solution. Personally I would go for a step-through bike, why make things difficult for yourself.
paddler

Post by paddler »

Cunobelin wrote:
Brucey wrote:it probably did help you avoid an injury. But that won't stop folk from speculating that it

a) didn't
b) that the presence of the helmet on your head somehow caused you to fall
c) that the presence of the helmet on your head somehow caused the kerb to be there, or be more pointy than normal
d) that the presence of the helmet on your head somehow made the impact worse than it would have been otherwise
e) that other forms of injury would still have happened or indeed could have been made worse by virtue of wearing a helmet.

or any one of countless other things that you wouldn't expect....

cheers

There is no proof that did help you avoid an injury. But that won't stop folk from speculating that it did

True, perhaps. But having reached the age of 61, and having banged my head a few times along the way, I know what sort of force against a hard surface will hurt me.

I also own two helmets, which I both wear or don't wear, depending. I know that, with those helmets, if I banged my head hard enough to dent them, it would hurt.

I'm therefore happy to speculate that in this case, his did save him from injury, however minor.

' Every person is of course free to decide for themselves whether to wear one. I don't wear mine for most 'utility' riding.
softlips

Post by softlips »

Cunobelin wrote:

Absolutely, many pedestrians suffer exactly this type of energy and they could all benefit from wearing helmets

Indeed. One of my patients died falling off his bike while stationary, hadn’t even got into the seat.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

my Lidl helmet prevented a bad knock. As I got off my bike I fell backwards against an edge of a path, not very hard but the helmet showed the indent which would have been my head I assume. Thats the sort of accident I would assume a helmet is useful for ?

Had you ever fell off previous when getting off your bike, when not wearing a helmet?
willcee

Post by willcee »

About 60 odd years ago when being instructed by my Father, I was taught to mount from the left side, left foot on left pedal ,run the bike forward and mount while moving throwing the right leg over the frame behind the saddle.. I probably did this for some years, he , my father was a strict teacher and every spring and summer evening back in those far off days my brother and I aged 7/8 and 5/6 were instructed religiously in road traffic manners on the quiet country roads near our home, until he felt we were no danger to ourselves or traffic.. it worked we never had any incidents with traffic, yes we fell off, but it took the worry out of his head that he had taught us the correct way, he was the same with firearms..
These days, well in the past 6 years with hip issues I always mount from the right side, doing exactly what that chap in the video does.. bring the bike down, and mount at the lower position..Total Hip Relacement last Oct, left leg, afterwards I took it really easy , had to..and still mount right side, but holding a 45lb E bike at that angle is not as easy as on a 18lb lightweight, for me its manageable, and worked for me.. before the op I had issues while mounting and dismounting, nothing while cycling, except no standing up pedaling..
Always wear a helmet, better half has had Brain surgery,not an injury from any accident , your head is one area you don't want to take chances with.. watching her recover from a severe vasospasm, induced as a result of the deep surgery..I never leave without it...and it has saved me several times. will
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My only accident in 50 years of Cycling was caused by a cyclist knocking me off ..... he wasn't wearing a helmet .. :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mjr

Post by mjr »

willcee wrote:Always wear a helmet, better half has had Brain surgery,not an injury from any accident , your head is one area you don't want to take chances with.. watching her recover from a severe vasospasm, induced as a result of the deep surgery..I never leave without it...and it has saved me several times. will

And there is the central absurdity: if us normal riders were dying at the rate that users claim to have been saved, we'd have died out by now and the debate would be over!

I don't want to risk a neck injury or unnecessary head strike, so I'm not taking the chance of strapping a voluminous weight to the top of my head.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.