E-bikes and 737 Max

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PJ520

E-bikes and 737 Max

Post by PJ520 »

It seems quite possible that a software glitch on an e-bike can do potentially disastrous things e.g. not slow down. (I once had this happen with the cruise control on a car.) Any thoughts or experiences?
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
james01

Re: E-bikes and 737 Max

Post by james01 »

Good point, these things can happen.
However I reckon that if my wife's street-legal 250 watt e-bike suddenly went berserk the rider's natural reaction to slam on both brakes would soon overcome the unruly motor!
PJ520

Re: E-bikes and 737 Max

Post by PJ520 »

james01 wrote:Good point, these things can happen.
However I reckon that if my wife's street-legal 250 watt e-bike suddenly went berserk the rider's natural reaction to slam on both brakes would soon overcome the unruly motor!
When I was last in the NE of England they had just banned those electric carts for the disabled from the light rail system. "Mean" thought i, but it turned out that twice in six months someone had driven one of these carts onto a train and out the other side! And all you had to do to stop these carts was let go of the bars.

Your missis may well be able to slam the brakes on but some older person who has just taken up riding as a way of getting a bit of exercise may, like the pilots of those planes, find themselves running out of time before they reach that car that pulled up in front.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West