Nice Places To Ride for 2 / 3 Days ????

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tim-b

Re: Nice Places To Ride for 2 / 3 Days ????

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Lincs, Rutland, Leics areas
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Or, warming to my river theme, follow the Hampshire Avon from say Upavon South to the sea - always lovely lanes running on the opposite side of the river to the main drag.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The Chilterns just North of Reading. Literally hundreds of Bridleways and quiet lanes, hills are short and sharp. Very scenic with lovely Forests, farmland, villages and pubs. Much more natural than the New Forest which is boring in comparison. Stay in Henley on Thames and go anywhere North from there. The area fills up with walkers and cyclists from London at weekends who come again and again. Easy drive from Chichester.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Goldcoin79

Post by Goldcoin79 »

One idea which I am planning on doing this year is to get the ferry with my bike from Lymington to Yarmouth on the Isle of Weight. It looks like its only about £20 return ferry trip for you and your bike and it looks like there's some great cycling to be had on the Isle of Weight on or off road with plenty to see.

Another idea for you is Cornwall, I stayed near Portreath last year and done the coast to coast ride which go's from Portreath to Devoran which is 11 miles each way. This part of cornwall is full of the old mining trails which is great for cycling and I done many cycling trips why I was that way. Not so far into cornwall you have the camel trail which goes from Bodmin to Padstow, it is 30 miles in total but you can get on or off at various points.

Hope there's a few ideas for you.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

al_yrpal wrote:The Chilterns just North of Reading. Literally hundreds of Bridleways and quiet lanes, hills are short and sharp. Very scenic with lovely Forests, farmland, villages and pubs. Much more natural than the New Forest which is boring in comparison. Stay in Henley on Thames and go anywhere North from there. The area fills up with walkers and cyclists from London at weekends who come again and again. Easy drive from Chichester.

Al

Some sharp inclines though?
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Hobbs1951 wrote:The Lincolnshire Wolds and Marsh .

+ 1. Thanks for reminding me, haven't worked or lived down there for thirteen years, but the Lincolnshire Wolds offers an obvious, immediate start to a 4-5 day ride back home in the next several weeks (NB. Had been thinking about a train down to Thirsk/York, but on reflection an extension further down South will be more than worth it. Lincoln Cathedral, worth a drop in
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Couple of ex train track trails in Cornwall / Devon.
Tarka trail and camel trail are two must be more.

Cheers James
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

Jamesh wrote:Couple of ex train track trails in Cornwall / Devon.
Tarka trail and camel trail are two must be more.

Cheers James

Have actually done both of these but going back many moons ago, the Inlaws used to live down that way and we did them a few times when staying down there .... both great!!
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Witterings wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:
P.S I have a base in West Sussex, so know that area well.

Whereabouts ... I'm down in The Witterings as per my username ... if ever you're this way and fancy coming out with us for a ride with local knowledge give me a shout, there are some great places around here as well :D

I'm in Rustington (nr the beach) not far from Littlehampton. I'm down every six weeks or so, family* been in the Worthing area since the late 1800s, I regularly cycle to the Witterings, Pagham, Felpham etc...

Thanks for the offer.

John.

*members of the West Tarring Cycling Club in the late 1800s.
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
Witterings wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:
P.S I have a base in West Sussex, so know that area well.

Whereabouts ... I'm down in The Witterings as per my username ... if ever you're this way and fancy coming out with us for a ride with local knowledge give me a shout, there are some great places around here as well :D

I'm in Rustington (nr the beach) not far from Littlehampton. I'm down every six weeks or so, family* been in the Worthing area since the late 1800s, I regularly cycle to the Witterings, Pagham, Felpham etc...

Thanks for the offer.

John.

*members of the West Tarring Cycling Club in the late 1800s.

It's lovely over that way as well, my parents had what initially was a holiday home but is now their main home at Middleton and we kept a small ski boat at Littlehampton Marina for many, many moons so all around that area's old stomping ground and is where I 1st got into leisure cycling.

Think the 1st I'm going to aim to do out of the ones suggested is the Kennet and Avon Cycle route from Reading to Bristol, this works for a number of reasons .... Easy to get the train to Reading from Chichester, my boy's studying at Bath Uni although he's currently doing his year in industry in Bristol and the person I go cycling with most's daughter is at UWE Uni in Bristol.
I'm sure if we suggest a weekend in Bath / Bristol to the "other halves" and to see the children they'd meet us there and we get a lift home .... win, win, win ... I love it when a plan comes together :D

The other thing I've thought that's of particular interest in routes, I know it's comparing to The New Forest yet again (broken record) but it's very easy to stay in one place and do different 30/40 mile circular routes ending up back at your base so you don't have to take / carry luggage with you which has a certain appeal.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Train to York, Malton or Hull/Beverley to pick up the circular Yorkshire Wolds Cycle Route? 146 miles with plenty of places to pause along the way. More info:

http://www.cycleyorkshirewolds.com

http://www.yorkshirewoldscycleroute.co. ... hire-wolds
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote:
... definitely flatter than hillier ...

Sounds like North Norfolk to me.

The western half of the coast has some bumps but nothing steep and long. Mix and match Regional Route 30 (the Norfolk Coast Way and the Two Rivers Way) with National Cycle Route 1 (or minor roads parallel between Reepham and Norwich city boundary IMO) and National Cycle Route 13 to produce something of the length you want.

The sections of Route 1 between Lynn and Wells can make one's heart sing on a good day: through woodlands to the royal estate, then up onto the chalk ridge to look across to Boston, see the surprising spire of Snettisham soaring up from the landward side of the village, dance around Peddar's Way through Sedgeford and Ringstead, then turn east to hopefully have a tailwind blow you along the rollercoaster road to Burnham Market aka Chelsea-on-Sea with its busy central green, through Nelson's Burnham Thorpe, past the Holkham obelisk through the great estate and then either the sandy coast track or the unsignposted eastern gate near the Hospital into Wells-next-the-Sea with its harbour, two narrow-guage trains and faraway beach.

Usually then I have to turn for home and head back through Holkham's woods, past the hidden church at Waterden, through the ford at South Creake and up Bloodgate Hill, past the iron age fort remnants on top, through Syderstone (where the Lynn Arms offered cyclists discounts last year - don't know if that's still the case) then round the east and south edges of another grand estate at Holkham, then either through Anmer and King's Avenue back to Sandringham, or south to Harpley and Little Massingham to join the Fakenham-Lynn cycle route back.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
groberts

Post by groberts »

Given your location, it may be staring you in the face - the Isle of Wight.

Of course, you may already know but everywhere's always different on a bike. Here's my blog on touring the island a few years ago:

https://roundthebendpart1.wordpress.com ... -may-2013/

Graham
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

The Isle of Wight is lovely but it isn't flat!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Lancashire Fylde,
Cheshire,
Norfolk / Suffolk
Shropshire,
North Oxon / South Warks
Northamptonshire / Leicestershire.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells