feedback about moderation

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Vorpal

Re: feedback about moderation

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Got an example at last, I am sure I read a thread about cbdr 'accidents' at Ipley Cross in the New Forest, can not find it now, could it have been automatically deleted?

This one viewtopic.php?f=7&t=119507&p=1198025 ?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Got an example at last, I am sure I read a thread about cbdr 'accidents' at Ipley Cross in the New Forest, can not find it now, could it have been automatically deleted?

This one viewtopic.php?f=7&t=119507&p=1198025 ?

Thanks very much, that is the one, searching did not find it before
When I search these fora are all the threads/posts (more than a million) checked, or are old ones that have not been active for a while ignored?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Some thoughts.

Although I suppose it's not a good thing to complain about being moderated - especially since it gives the Mods more work to do - this is bound to happen some of the time. I don't think one should deal too harshly with those who protest against the occasional mod. decision which goes against them. Persistent 'moaners', of course, may be a different matter...

On the other hand, I think "gloating" over the moderation of another forummer's post is way out of order. Do others agree?

I speak from experience - I did that :oops: - very unwisely - years back, on CycleChat. In mitigation, I will say that the individual (almost certainly a sock-puppet) who was moderated and banned had posted a set of vile and gross insults against me. Still, I shouldn't have 'celebrated' his expulsion - and I paid for it! Lesson learnt - eventually!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Since this thread seems reluctant to expire, I'll add this about expletives and in particular the difference between the spoken and written word. Many people cannot speak for long without expletives. When writing, it's quite different because every word can be considered. Any offence caused is more likely to be deliberate. I have to try hard when speaking to supress all the "ers." A conversation with me can be a bit like the Two Ronnies sketch where R corbett kept saying "er" after half a sentence and R Barker finished it off for him, only to be corrected. In text to break a sentence with ... er ... is inevitably deliberate and often provocative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFS3DS0DgEA
gaz

Post by gaz »

Cyril Haearn wrote:When I search these fora are all the threads/posts (more than a million) checked, or are old ones that have not been active for a while ignored?

The search engine undeniably has some quirks but it does search every post on the public boards. Where the search terms are both acceptable to the search engine and are relevant to the first published post it will be on the list.

In your own example I'd have used "Ipley" as the search term, that would have narrowed the field suitably to help you pick out the thread you were interested in.

If a particular thread is of ongoing interest to you and you feel you may wish to return to it in months or years to come, you can bookmark it using "Topic Tools" (the little spanner icon at the foot of the page) and pick it up again later through the "Manage Bookmarks" section in the User Control Panel. I should probably use that function more often myself.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Made a post this morning, asked a question, nothing dirty or illegal but maybe controversial, checked this evening, it had been deleted!
Can't be completely 110% sure it was posted mind, sometimes the reception is not so good, but I am as sure as I can be
Calmed down a bit now, I figure it was deleted because of thread drift :?
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Made a post this morning, asked a question, nothing dirty or illegal but maybe controversial, checked this evening, it had been deleted!
Can't be completely 110% sure it was posted mind, sometimes the reception is not so good, but I am as sure as I can be
Calmed down a bit now, I figure it was deleted because of thread drift :?

You quoted me twice,the first one I answered(yesterday) the second I received a notification for(at around 05:00) but the post(s) had been deleted by the time I got around to viewing.Why they were deleted is as much a mystery to me as all the others :roll:
I've stopped posting on certain threads as I know my answers will be clipped or deleted :roll:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Perhaps you and I should both apply to be moderators in the interests of balance and moderation :wink:
Started a thread about 'danger' cameras, care to post there?
A wiseperson said: 'I learn much more from my critics and opponents than from my allies and friends'
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

The Brexit thread has been locked, I presume due to the moderation load from a small number of posters repeatedly breaking the rules.

It would surely seem more proportionate to ban the culprits rather than ban the thread, particularly as they are now elsewhere on the site celebrating their success in getting the thread suspended.

[why people can't just behave well is another matter, but there we are]
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

So Graham has decided to lock the Brexit thread.
Really now? before the up and coming EU elections?

IMV it has shown what a bad deal Brexit was, especially in those last pages. Good solid stuff from the Remainers.
Much solid refuted spurious Brexit argument. Excellent stuff.

And no moderation was needed in any of those same pages that I could/can see.
Why not just use a word filter?
What actually broke any house rules?

Graham has "form" regarding Brexit though, and my memory regarding it is long and clear.
He does not like positive things said about the Remain argument and has deleted (his own) whole threads because of it.

It is my view that so much clear and positive about the "remain" argument was shown in those last pages that he couldn't stand it anymore and pulled the plug.

He never contributes to the debate though
Though other mods do and THEIR position is clearly stated
It is, quite frankly, censorship.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PDQ Mobile wrote:.
It is, quite frankly, censorship.

It was temporary, and meant to be a 'time-out' not censorship. There was a lot of sniping early today and a number of posts were removed.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

It would seem "vorpal" was unaware of the locked Brexit thread and posted this briefly.
It then disappeared!
Timed as shown.

So Graham's "MODS have decided" looks rather dodgy?

Or did Vorpal simply forget the thread was locked down to everybody else?
image.jpg
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Ok thankyou.
Brexit now unlocked.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PDQ Mobile wrote:

I think it is already explained above.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PDQ Mobile wrote:It would seem "vorpal" was unaware of the locked Brexit thread and posted this briefly.
It then disappeared!
Timed as shown.

Or did Vorpal simply forget the thread was locked down to everybody else?
image.jpg

Actually, I was wondering if I could post on a locked thread. I hadn't tried it before. It seems I can. :lol: