Rookie Cycle Tour from London to Trieste

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bg

Re: Rookie Cycle Tour from London to Trieste

Post by bg »

Hi Tyre Lady.
Good luck with your bike trip and the marathon at the end.
I live near Folkestone so will look at out for you.
Do you have a facebook page?
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Hey bg

Thanks so much.

Facebook and Twitter = TyreLady
Instagram = TyreLady2016

Aiming to be in Folkestone on the 31st March and stay over to take Le Shuttle over. Need to book everything tomorrow!
And do my packing (hate packing) - and hopefully spend a 10 mile run to see how gear is on bicycle
Been waylaid as customer modified specs on me and has had me working these past 2 days so they can be testing the stuff whilst am away and didn't want to overload the guy I've handed over to!!!
Low carbon, zero waste running journey
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

And think this will be my route as much as possible and will break this into 2x @50miles as want to take it easy at the first

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/89024

Have already had one Maps.Me misdemeanour cycling from Reading in the dark and accidentally found myself on a slip road towards the M4!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Tyre Lady wrote:And think this will be my route as much as possible and will break this into 2x @50miles as want to take it easy at the first

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/89024

Have already had one Maps.Me misdemeanour cycling from Reading in the dark and accidentally found myself on a slip road towards the M4!

Looks good- have a good trip (try to avoid the M4!). Looks like Sevenoaks overnight if I understand your plans correctly. Weather seems nice for a few days and spring is definitely springing (looks promising in the USA too for me).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I con't comment on the route, as there are very few roads there that I am familiar with.

But I sincerely wish you a good journey!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Thanks so much all. Although seems my front wheel has disappeared!!! Hopefully the shop will find it soon.
So thinking to delay by one day

Mrs H have a great tour xx
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

The very best of luck!
Have a great adventure!

And come back and update the thread please! :)
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Thanks Hobbes. Appreciated all your advice and steering :)

Might delay for a day to Sunday as wheel has come back today but with a different tyre (Schwalbe Marathon Green Guard).
Okay actually they lost my front wheel.

Haven't managed to hook up dynamo and test and although am a last minute lass, this feels tooo last minute. Hence my delay.
See how much I can achieve tomorrow
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If you are keeping the Marathon, it could be worth putting it on the back wheel.

It is a tough tyre and will show little wear after 2,000kms.

I've just ridden a 2,000+km tour with one on my back wheel and it was OK. Not great (as per my comments on page 7), but OK.

Good luck on your ride.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Tyre Lady wrote:Might delay for a day to Sunday as wheel has come back today but with a different tyre (Schwalbe Marathon Green Guard).
Okay actually they lost my front wheel.

:shock:

I don't see how they could lose a wheel. I think the shop should help you with the dyno to make up for it.

Schwalbe Marathon Green Gurad are durable, but I think you will find it doesn't roll as well.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Having tested the Green Guard vs the Durano Plus without load - Durano Plus definitely rolls better
Agree with Simon's comments that the Green Guards are slow. Will swap tryes round tomorrow.

So small delay maybe by one or two days. Let ya know how am feeling. Want one easy day of little stress.

Mr hooked up dynamo to charger. The kemo has worked well.
Took for my first test ride with load and it charged
Couple more things to sort out then I will go.....gives my mother a little more time to nag me not to go!!!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Good luck and smooth tarmac!
Keep us posted on here for those of us who aren't in social media!

Cheers James
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Comedy of rookie errors although bike was supposed have been given a check over by a young lad at decathlon

Lots of photos and posts on Instagram and Twitter -don’t need to join to read posts. Am now on 3rd day of tour - in Belgium.goot nacht
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Tyre Lady wrote:Comedy of rookie errors although bike was supposed have been given a check over by a young lad at decathlon

Lots of photos and posts on Instagram and Twitter -don’t need to join to read posts. Am now on 3rd day of tour - in Belgium.goot nacht

Found and followed on both. Nice change from brexit on Twitter where I follow a few cyclists- strongly recommend NOT following me back on Instagram as it’s one of my kids accounts/ they use my email address (must get that fixed). As for errors- inevitable, glad to see you’re in Belgium.
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Completed 170k on 4th day. Body felt fine,head tired from lack of sleep from past 3 days and rushing ariund

So stayed a day more in one place to catch up with sleep. Off to Netherlands and then Germany