York Rally Sportive and Retro Classic, Sunday 28th April 2019

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
bikepete

York Rally Sportive and Retro Classic, Sunday 28th April 2019

Postby bikepete » 22 Dec 2018, 6:46pm

Image(click to enlarge, or download as jpg or as pdf)

Enjoy a challenging and rewarding day out, with great cake, at the 5th fundraising Sportive run by the experienced, all-volunteer and very friendly team who organise the traditional annual cyclists’ gathering on the Knavesmire in York, the York Rally. All funds raised go to support the Rally!

On the 28th April 2019, two well proven Sportive routes take riders from just north of York high into the beautiful North York Moors. Visit the event website for maps, GPX, photos and reports from past events, practical details and more. You'll also see links to online entries, and to forms to print out if you prefer to enter by post.

Running alongside the Sportive this year is the Retro Classic, a gentler, shorter ride for connoisseurs of classic steel-framed cycles. Read all about it here.

Image(click to enlarge, or download as jpg or as pdf)

We hope we'll see many of you there for a great day's riding!

bikepete

Re: York Rally Sportive and Retro Classic, Sunday 28th April 2019

Postby bikepete » 16 Feb 2019, 5:59pm

We're looking forward to this and all the organisation is pretty much in place - more volunteer helpers would always be welcome of course!

Two small updates:

- the full maps (hard copies will be provided on the day) are now available as PDFs on the Sportive & Retro web pages

- There's now also a Facebook event page for the Sportive & Retro.

mjr

Postby mjr » 16 Feb 2019, 7:04pm

Have British Cycling changed their listings rules (whereby you couldn't use BC's sportive entry system without forcing helmets) or are helmets required even for the retro ride?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 16 Feb 2019, 8:11pm

Not sure myself - I will find out and get back to you...

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 17 Feb 2019, 7:34pm

The organiser's now got back to me. Helmets are indeed required for all rides including the retro.

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 30 Mar 2019, 9:00pm

Just a reminder that this splendid fundraising Sportive is now just a month away! All volunteer run and taking in some of Yorkshire's finest riding.

The team is all set to welcome riders - please do enter now and help support the Rally!

mjr

Postby mjr » 30 Mar 2019, 10:11pm

bikepete wrote:The organiser's now got back to me. Helmets are indeed required for all rides including the retro.

:( I'm glad I'm unable to go for other reasons now, then! I hope you consider switching insurers to someone less anachronistic (Cycling UK perhaps) in future.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 31 Mar 2019, 1:31pm

bikepete wrote:The organiser's now got back to me. Helmets are indeed required for all rides including the retro.

These rides are on public roads so how are the organisers going to ban the helmetless from riding?

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 20 Apr 2019, 2:44pm

I believe the choice of British Cycling was driven purely by its status as the place where most of the likely riders go to look for, and book, Sportives. We've confirmed this with surveys of riders - despite all our other publicity efforts, very many had simply come across it through BC's booking system.

It's fair to say that while there is some cross-over with York Rally attendees and CTC/CUK riders, many of the people whose entries make it worthwhile to run the Sportive are more oriented to club riding or "roadie" type cycling. BC reaches them well.

All of the volunteers who give up their Sunday (and often many more days too for prep etc.) to run this event do so because this Sportive raises useful amounts of money to help keep the York Rally going. Ensuring it raises the maximum money is the top priority. We have sympathy about the helmet issue, and of course regret if it puts anyone off taking part, but I'm afraid it's secondary in this case.

bikepete

Postby bikepete » 20 Apr 2019, 2:50pm

The York Rally Sportive & Retro 2019 is NEXT WEEKEND!

On Sunday 28th April our three routes take in some of Yorkshire's finest riding - there are 140k and 100k options plus a more gentle 80 km "Retro" ride.

See all the routes, maps and more at http://yorkrally.org/sportive/

And if you haven't already, please book your place! It's cheaper than on the day. You can enter direct with British Cycling here:
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/187189/York-Rally-Sportive-2019

Or if you can't ride but could help, please just let organiser Pete Dunn know. He's on 07740 171 252 for any Sportive questions.

As the day approaches we've been getting out and checking the signs. We have over 100 of the arrows to signpost the 140 & 100k routes, and as I write this we're creating another 50-odd for the Retro, which is new this year. So book your entry with confidence - all routes, and the essential food stops - will be very clearly marked by our all-volunteer team!

mjr

Postby mjr » 20 Apr 2019, 4:42pm

bikepete wrote:All of the volunteers who give up their Sunday (and often many more days too for prep etc.) to run this event do so because this Sportive raises useful amounts of money to help keep the York Rally going. Ensuring it raises the maximum money is the top priority. We have sympathy about the helmet issue, and of course regret if it puts anyone off taking part, but I'm afraid it's secondary in this case.

Secondary to everyone but the zealots at BC, whose sway the York Rally apparently now falls, thanks to their monopoly position in sportive bookings. A sad day.

A retro ride requiring modern plastic seems a bit like misleading advertising.

RickH

Postby RickH » 20 Apr 2019, 10:00pm

bikepete wrote:The York Rally Sportive & Retro 2019 is NEXT WEEKEND!

On Sunday 28th April our three routes take in some of Yorkshire's finest riding - there are 140k and 100k options plus a more gentle 80 km "Retro" ride.

See all the routes, maps and more at http://yorkrally.org/sportive/

And if you haven't already, please book your place! It's cheaper than on the day. You can enter direct with British Cycling here:
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/187189/York-Rally-Sportive-2019

Or if you can't ride but could help, please just let organiser Pete Dunn know. He's on 07740 171 252 for any Sportive questions.

As the day approaches we've been getting out and checking the signs. We have over 100 of the arrows to signpost the 140 & 100k routes, and as I write this we're creating another 50-odd for the Retro, which is new this year. So book your entry with confidence - all routes, and the essential food stops - will be very clearly marked by our all-volunteer team!

A comment on the signage. Having the writing both ways up may simplify things from a production point of view. They may be a better class of folk round York area but one organisation I did a ride with specifically said that the writing would be the right way up on all their route signs (so left & right were different signs) & that any that weren't had been tampered with by some miscreant.

You can add me to the "no shows" as, sadly, the helmet requirement makes it another event I would have to give a miss to.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 21 Apr 2019, 7:50am

May one wear an authentic 'hair-net' helmet, 1970s style?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

mjr

Postby mjr » 21 Apr 2019, 7:56am

brynpoeth wrote:May one wear an authentic 'hair-net' helmet, 1970s style?

Only if you pay for the model to be treated to currentstandards and it passes.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 25 Apr 2019, 1:07pm

mjr wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:May one wear an authentic 'hair-net' helmet, 1970s style?

Only if you pay for the model to be treated to currentstandards and it passes.

I'm still at a loss as to how anyone can be stopped from riding a route on public roads unless they wear a helmet.