Wayfarer Centenary Weekend 29-31 March 2019

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
jackt

Wayfarer Centenary Weekend 29-31 March 2019

Postby jackt » 14 Dec 2018, 11:48am

I thought I'd draw forum members attention to this weekend of rides and lantern slides that I'm helping to organise, to mark the centenary of W.M. Robinson aka Wayfarer's famous 'over the top' crossing of the Berwyns in north east Wales. 29-31 March 2019

The weekend is based at the West Arms in Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog, the inn where Wayfarer stayed the night before setting off into the snow.

The rides are all turn-up-and-go affairs, there'll be a small exhibition in the West Arms and two lantern lectures. The dinner on the Saturday night does require booking in advance.

I'm helping to organise the event along with members of the Rough Stuff Fellowship, the Anfield Bicycle Club and the Veteran Cycle Club. It should be a fun, inclusive weekend.

PDF flyer

Wayfarer Centenary web flyer-p1.jpg

Wayfarer Centenary web flyer-p2.jpg
Author of Lost Lanes, Lost Lanes Wales and Lost Lanes West. Presents The Bike Show podcast.

pedalsheep

Re: Wayfarer Centenary Weekend 29-31 March 2019

Postby pedalsheep » 18 Dec 2018, 8:52pm

Thanks for the info.
I presume the lantern lectures are with Wayfarer's original lantern slides. I'd certainly like to see them, I really enjoy reading his articles in old magazines. Sounds like a great weekend (although I am hopeless at rough stuff cycling, I'd probably be walking all the way!)
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

jackt

Postby jackt » 8 Jan 2019, 12:41pm

There'll be a wide range of slides shown. Wayfarer himself was not a photographer, as I understand it. He used slides taken by others including his riding companions.

Many of these can be found online at the National Cycle Archive:

https://warwick.ac.uk/services/library/ ... gital/nca/

Some of those will likely feature in David Birchall's talk on the Saturday, while the Friday evening slide show is being presented by the archivist of the Rough Stuff Fellowship and will be mostly 1950s onwards.

Hope to see you there.
Author of Lost Lanes, Lost Lanes Wales and Lost Lanes West. Presents The Bike Show podcast.

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 8 Jan 2019, 5:31pm

Thanks for the link Jack, some great stuff there. Also currently very much enjoying your 'Lost Lanes Wales' which Santa brought me.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 20 Jan 2019, 2:56pm

This looks very appealing. :)

(apart from the logistics ... anyone have a spare couch in the area?!)

landellais

Postby landellais » 26 Jan 2019, 2:18pm

I shall look forward to this weekend. My first crossing of 'The Wayfarer' was in the mid '60's when I joined my local cycling club. This ride was always done between November and March, after the racing season had finished. We all had saddlebags, lights, mudguards, 27- 11/4 tyres, sandwiches and drinks and walking shoes and spare socks. There was a 'survival' hut up there,with tins of food under the seating, where we would stop to eat our sandwiches and gain some respite from the elements. There was frequently rain, mud, and snow. I recall one clubmate losing his shoe as we walked through deep mud. In those days there were no drivers of 4 wheel drive vehicles, or enduro motorbikes crossing. A highlight was signing the book at the memorial then dropping down to the Corwen road and riding home. My last crossing was in the '80's. I attach some images of the day.
Image Attachments
Wayfarer062.jpg

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 26 Jan 2019, 5:32pm

Those are the worst mountain-bikes I think I've ever seen.

;-)

Looks like I'm in - my (now) favourite local AUK has booked us a cottage fairly close.

(the hosting pub looks lovely, but the rooms ain't cheap!)

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 26 Jan 2019, 6:47pm

Great photos landellais!
Unfortunately it doesn't look like I will be able to make it but look forward to hearing about it from those who do.

SueBooth

Postby SueBooth » 10 Mar 2019, 8:18pm

Hi, i am booked in to the West Arms for this weekend, they called me and booked me in for the sat night meal also.
Do i need to let anyone know i am joining this weekend?
Who else is going?

(I hope the rain ceases and it all dries up a bit!)

Sue, Chester

Hobbs1951

Postby Hobbs1951 » 11 Mar 2019, 9:05am

landellais wrote:I shall look forward to this weekend. My first crossing of 'The Wayfarer' was in the mid '60's when I joined my local cycling club. This ride was always done between November and March, after the racing season had finished. We all had saddlebags, lights, mudguards, 27- 11/4 tyres, sandwiches and drinks and walking shoes and spare socks. There was a 'survival' hut up there,with tins of food under the seating, where we would stop to eat our sandwiches and gain some respite from the elements. There was frequently rain, mud, and snow. I recall one clubmate losing his shoe as we walked through deep mud. In those days there were no drivers of 4 wheel drive vehicles, or enduro motorbikes crossing. A highlight was signing the book at the memorial then dropping down to the Corwen road and riding home. My last crossing was in the '80's. I attach some images of the day.

Lovely photos, I should ride this historic event/route one day as I have a bicycle once owned by a very well-known CTC and RSF member. I did organise a Wayfarers weekend a couple of years ago for some fellow V-CC members in the Lincolnshire Wolds.

Best wishes for the weekend.

John.

jackt

Postby jackt » 18 Mar 2019, 4:42pm

It's not long now until the Wayfarer Centenary Weekend based at the West Arms in Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog and this is an update on what's going on during the weekend.

Friday evening 29 March (from 8pm)

Mark Hudson, Archivist of the Rough Stuff Fellowship will be ensconced in the Wayfarer Bar of the West Arms Hotel with his slide projector and showing some of the amazing slides of rough stuff adventuring from the 1950s onwards. Mark will also curating a little exhibition of RSF artefacts which will be on show throughout the weekend.

Saturday rides 30 March

There are at least three rides and all of them start at the West Arms and go first up to the Wayfarer memorial at Pen Bwlch Llandrillo. I'll be leading a loop of around 50 hilly miles, over the top then down to Cynwyd, and back via Corwen, Carrog, Rhewl, Pontcysyllte, Chirk and Glyn Ceiriog.

The Anfield Bicycle Club will be leading a similar but shorter route, returning the short (but hilly) way from Llangollen to Glyn Ceiriog.

I have put both of these routes online here so you can print out or download a GPX file:

http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/routes2/user ... rerWeekend

The Veteran Cycle Club will be riding on period cycles and going up to the Wayfarer memorial and back down again. If you are bringing a period cycle and wish to join this ride please contact Stephen Costigan (s.costigan@valescorcher.plus.com) as soon as possible.

If you want to lead a ride of your own, e.g. a wholly off-road MTB route, then you're most welcome. If you're happy for others to join you, let me know and I'll do my best to publicise it.

Many of you are familiar with the Wayfarer route over the Berwyns. For those who are not it is a 5 mile long unmade track that's very rough and rutted in places and boasts some exceptionally large puddles after heavy rain. Minimum requirements are a touring bike and a sense of adventure. If you bring a road bike with skinny tyres you will likely be pushing/carrying much of the way up. If you want to ride the track without any walking then an MTB is recommended. You can see a video of a recent recce by the Anfield Bicycle Club on Youtube. It took them about an hour.

You will be responsible for your own bicycle and personal safety, so be sure to pack puncture repair provisions and all tools you may need.

The weather in March is unpredictable (there was deep snow in 1919!). The current long range forecast is for average temperatures and weather conditions, but it's wise to check nearer the time and pack accordingly.

Saturday lunch

There are various options and you will need to make your own plans. The Anfield Bicycle Club will be having lunch at the Bison Grill Bistro on the Rhug Estate. All are welcome, though you are advised to book a table directly.

I hope to make a bit more distance before lunch and so am planning to stop at the Grouse Inn at Carrog. If you are doing my ride and want to come in on my table booking, please let me know with a firm commitment by Wednesday 27 March (max 20 people, first come, first served).

There are other lunch options at Corwen and Llangollen, or just pack a sandwich and a Primus.

Saturday evening

At 6pm David Birchall of the Anfield Bicycle Club will give an illustrated talk about Wayfarer, in the West Arms. All welcome.

7.30pm. Centenary Dinner (now fully booked) followed by drinks in the bar.

Sunday rides 31 March

This has been left deliberately flexible with the hope that people will self-organise according to their preferences and available time. There is plenty of scope for great rides in the area, both rough stuff and on road. If you'd like to lead a ride, please let me know and I'll do my best to advertise them over the weekend and I'll put a notice at the reception of the West Arms with the rides on offer. Note that the clocks go forward an hour to British Summer Time on Saturday night, so we lose an hour.

Breakfasts at the West Arms

The West Arms is happy to serve breakfast to non-residents on Saturday and Sunday but booking in advance is required (01691 600665). it is £14.95 per person, this includes tea/coffee and juice, a large buffet with yogurts, fruit and meats etc, and a choice of hot food.

History

If you want to read up on Wayfarer there are some good pages on the Cycling North Wales website including the full text of his famous account of snowy ride a hundred years ago.

Looking forward to a great weekend!

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 27 Mar 2019, 3:34pm

Sunday:
I reckon it would be a shame not to visit Lake Vyrnwy (there are 2 decent cafes by the dam, and a lap of the lake is a very pleasant/flat few miles.)

Any suggestions on somewhere further South/SE to visit to make a decent length ride up? (My chauffeur and I have all day, but I plan to be taking it easy - otherwise it would be lovely to go over Bwlch-y-Groes or Hirnant to Bala!)

SueBooth

Postby SueBooth » 28 Mar 2019, 9:40pm

I believe a local club member rode over the Wayfarer today - or not, as it was flooded. Help! What can we do? I so wanted to cross this path, never been over. Seriously considering wet shoes and spare socks....thoughts?!

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 28 Mar 2019, 11:50pm

Well I don't know this track, but I have done water crossings by carrying my shoes+socks and wading across; but I have my limits. I'm not a real Rough Stuffer!

Forecast is for a dry couple of days, so maybe we'll be luckier. I'm game to get up as far as we can on the day.

RickH

Postby RickH » 31 Mar 2019, 9:50pm

jackt wrote:I thought I'd draw forum members attention to this weekend of rides and lantern slides that I'm helping to organise, to mark the centenary of W.M. Robinson aka Wayfarer's famous 'over the top' crossing of the Berwyns in north east Wales. 29-31 March 2019

Thanks Jack & Co for a great weekend.

No snow for the Centenary but some excellent sunny weather instead. For the fortunate (? :?) few of us who were camping we got a tiny taste of 1919 conditions with a heavy frost first thing on Saturday morning.