loud horn for a bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bigmike7

loud horn for a bike

Post by Bigmike7 »

unfortunately this Saturday I was knocked off my bike and ended up in hospital. I was pedalling along a road when a car arrived at a T junction to my left. He was wanting to turn right across my line of travel. Despite the fact I was wearing my hi viz jacket he did not see me. As a result he drove out and knocked me off the bike. The only way that I can see that I could have prevented the accident is to have sounded a very loud horn to make sure that he knew I was there. Does anyone know of a horn that would do the job. Any other ideas would be welcome.
[XAP]Bob

Re: loud horn for a bike

Post by [XAP]Bob »

AirZound...
Still may well not have helped
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear of your incident.

IMO good road positioning is more likely to get you seen than hi-vis. Nothing will get you seen if a driver is not looking.

+1 for "Air Zound", no personal experience but it gets mentioned on here from time to time.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Welcome to the forum! :D

Airzound is the first thing I thought of.
I know a chap who rides a recumbent - used to be on this forum - and he has one. I was riding with him once and he demonstrated it to me.

LOUD! :shock:

https://www.airzound.co.uk
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Generic-Air-Zo ... B00JQN1ED4
Mick F. Cornwall
Bigmike7

Post by Bigmike7 »

thanks for the replies I will check it out
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Yup as already said Airzound. Very loud. Get a larger stronger drinks bottle so you have a larger reservoir of compressed air so can go for longer before you have to pump it up again. Also you might consider a bright front light such as an Exposure Max D. I have had NO pullouts on me since using this in the last 5 years. But don't have it on flashing and have it pointed down. Angle up and put on full if you see a potential idiot approaching.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Ivor Tingting wrote: Angle up and put on full if you see a potential idiot approaching.

Equivalent of putting my car headlamps on full beam on - which I don't do, blinding the other driver achieves nothing - all he/she can see is a bright light and is likely to flinch, making matters worse!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
millimole

Post by millimole »

I had an AirZound for quite a while when I used to commute. I took it off because it was turning me into a bit of a twit!
It's a bit like the camera debate - I was looking for and/or getting myself into situations where it (the AirZound or the camera) could be used in anger.
Once I'd taken it off the bike, my commute became much more relaxed again.
Now I use a bright front light, decent road positioning, and lots of observation.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bigmike7 wrote: Despite the fact I was wearing my hi viz jacket he did not see me. [...] Any other ideas would be welcome.

Possibly due to the fact you were wearing hi viz. People simply don't expect roadworkers to be moving along the road quickly. I doubt a horn or light would have helped unless it was obnoxious.

How's the bike? ;)

What was your position on the road as you approached? Controlling the lane? In a cycle lane? And has it been reported to the police and your insurers or lawyers? Are they prosecuting the careless driver?

Best wishes for any repairs or recovery.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

millimole wrote:, decent road positioning, and lots of observation..

+ 1, both are critical.

A typical example of mine would be my just completed, long weekend in the Dales/Lakes.

Positioning; Hundreds of miles and plenty of waves of thanks, as I pulled over to allow tractors, conveys of motorhomes and the occasional 20 tonner truck et al, to pass. Apart from two miles on the Military Road, 20 miles west of Newcastle on Sunday. I was only on the road for two miles, but after 0.5 miles, pulled into the centre of the carriageway and stopped the b*^$%^* (NB. In half a mile I'd been nearly written off on 4-5 occasions, one [rude word removed] overtaking when a convey of vehicles was cleary approaching and coming close to forcing me off the bike on swerving back in). Strangely enough, as I serenely cycled onwards, a convey of vehicles behind, I didn't have any more issues :wink:

Observation; And then, two miles from home, after ten hours on the bike (c/w 7000' ascents!), realized immediately that the sun would be precisely on the horizon, on my 1.5 mile descent into town. A busy road, every motorist blinded. Forget about the hi viz, red light et al, I took the 3.5 mile diversion.

NB. My rude word removed, has never been a problem in a professional environment, at work :?
Last edited by gbnz on 2 Apr 2019, 2:07pm, edited 2 times in total.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Oh, and forgot to mention........people are always asking me why I'm looking behind all the time, when on the bike! (NB. Only had one vehicle overtake me without my knowing about it this weekend - a road cyclist, on an uphill stretch)
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Not sure a loud horn would work. I have one on my car and idiots still pull out but being seen with a bright light that does not blind oncoming traffic does make sense.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

By the time you've pressed the button to sound your earblaster it'll be too late to stop Joe motorist from pulling out. It might give you the satisfaction of knowing that your grievance has been registered, but also at the cost of disturbing any other innocent passers-by or local residents.
Waste of money in my opinion.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

There is a device called a Hornit, that emits a loud electronic screech when you press a button. However, I find people just look around thinking "What is that?" on hearing it. The advantage of a large, loud bicycle bell is that is immediately identified as being associated with a bike, unlike the Hornit (and possibly the Airzound too).

I saw a poor, unfortunate bloke this morning, lying on the pavement, covered in a blanket, with helmet and hi-viz vest on. Just down the road, 4x4 parked in the middle of the road, having emerged from the a side turning and knocked him off.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Bigmike7

Post by Bigmike7 »

thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I am on the mend bit battered but will soon be over it. I don't think my bike is a write off . It is however going into the bike shop for a complete overhaul and of course the driver is footing the bill. I am grateful for all the advice I agree nothing makes you completely safe. I have decided to buy the horn a blast from that when I first saw him might have helped but who knows