Lejog routes past Manchester or Runcorn/Widnes

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
The Gazman

Re: Lejog routes past Manchester or Runcorn/Widnes

Post by The Gazman »

[quote="RickH"]Runcorn bridge is closed to traffic until 2020([url=https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/runcorn-bridge-wont-reopen-until-15544531]link[/url])! There is a bus to take pedestrians & cyclists across but I've heard it isn't all that frequent.

I don't know why there'd be a bus to take people across because there's a shared use path for pedestrians and cyclists, which I used when I went to Runcorn station from Liverpool just the day before this thread was started!

However, there are 'no cycling' signs before the bridge from Widnes to Runcorn, which I rode across anyway in February as it was 7pm on a Saturday, so I thought it'd be just about OK. Only had a couple of motorists beep me (in a manner that seemed to suggest they meant "#£&@ off, this is specially for us", rather than "be careful")!

I only ended up using it because Google Maps' walking directions suggest you can go along Earle Road which runs parallel to the bridge: a gate across the entire road indicated otherwise, and a security guard who came out to ask what I was doing confirmed Google is completely wrong!
spaman

Post by spaman »

Thanks The Gazman,
"Cycling Friendly" country - a definite oxymoron.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rareposter wrote:Chester to Kendal sort of forces you to go through Runcorn unless you do a LONG diversion to the east.
No it doesn't.

I've done a few End2Ends and also cycled through North/South and South/North many times over the years.

My sister lived in Wrexham for 30odd years and I always stayed with her. She lives in Overton now.

Coming from the south it was Shrewsbury to Wrexham, then Chester bypass via Frodsham to cross the Mersey at Warrington and head north up the A49 to Bamber Bridge via Newton-le-Willows, Wigan and Standish.

Easy peasy and quick. I wouldn't hesitate to do that route again.
Mick F. Cornwall
merrymac

Post by merrymac »

Hi Spaman

Just found this thread and previous reply mentions going north from Chester up the Wirral peninsula to Liverpool. Having ridden LeJog, this is what I did but I live here as well. Have you looked at Warmshowers (WS) for free places to stay for cyclists. Ive used them for years, both as a Host and Guest.

If you come to the Wirral, look me up on W S